I am really lost with Canada post...

momochiicecream
Community Member

I am really lost ...

I am a seller that try to sell the stuffs that I don't need, but the shipping option that Canada post provide is really unbelievable expensive! I have no chose but to use the unregistered shipping method (to consider about the package size, I can't even afford the 2-4 weeks shipping method), and the result is I lost more than six packages and have to refund almost 600USD to the buyer and the shipping fee to Canada post...

It never happen before last year, but what is going on with these three months? The shipping fee is much higher than few years before and the chance of lost is much higher, too... How do you guys deal with it? Just never ship anything that is outside of Canada or US :(?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Never ship anything via international SURFACE mail. It sounded like that's what you have been doing. They will never arrive by that 45 days Paypal dispute deadline, so every single buyer who buys from you, using surface mail shipping, WILL open a dispute against you. Only the honest ones will repay you when their item arrives. If you choose an unregistered shipping method, at least ship by airmail. Yes, airmail is expensive and will probably kill your sales, but it's better than losing money out on refunds. Some items... especially big and bulky ones, aren't really meant for selling online. If all you sell are big and bulky items, you might want to consider keeping them Canada / US only, or sell at a local market... Try getting a table at Anime North etc or just ask your local anime friends if they are interested?

Just looked at your items... Artbooks and figurines (that weighs more than 500g) are indeed expensive to ship.

Why would the Ao no Kiseki handkerchief cost $10 to ship, when you can just fit it into an envelope and mail it with domestic lettermail for ~$2?

And for listing  321110450572... that Pikachu keychain or whatever it was, I question whether or not it's legit because it says "Pokemon" in Chinese... 

I think you need to do a bit more research on shipping methods. Some of your stuff can be shipped with letter post if they are under 500g and thinner than 2cm. I can't tell you for sure but some of them looks like they are lighter than 500g. Do you have a scale at home? Are you absolutely positive that $10 is enough shipping to ship domestically for some of your items? I'm almost certain that you can't ship this ONE PIECE lot (321110459295) for $10 shipping to BC. Some stuff are better off not put in lots, as putting them in lots makes them too bulky for letter post. 

Check your spelling. The Yami figure (321110458882)... "If the buyer liver outside of Canada and US want to lower the shipping price, you can ask me to take out the box, and ship with the figure only."

Don't use regular parcel for domestic shipping. Use expedited parcel. And you might want to review eBay and Paypal policies...

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

Personally, I would NEVER suggest to buyers that I'll ship a figure without the box and just wrap them with bubble wrap. Yes, I understand your intent is to help the buyer save money on shipping, but if they arrive DAMAGED, you WILL have to refund the buyer. Because the postal service at some places are rougher with mail items, and you can never tell. Ultimately, it's gonna be your loss. You need to review seller policies to learn to protect yourself as a seller on eBay. Just because you stated "No Return" ("no returnable" is grammatically incorrect) doesn't mean the buyer can't open a dispute against you.

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

momochiicecream
Community Member

Thanks for your advise, I guess I really have to give up some of the sales because most of my items are heavier than 500g... Also because the items are not with me right now, so I just get the amount from the about amount for the shipping 😞

Oh and, the Pokemon strap is original that released by the animation agent in Taiwan, because I live in Asia during summer so I can get some stuffs from Asia and I know how to distinguish the original and pirate :D. (and I got it from Animate, I guess is a commissioned sold) 

And thanks again, now I know what I have to think about 😄

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

You're welcome. I've reread my post today and found that I sounded too harsh at some point (it was late when I wrote all that), so hopefully you didn't mind... 

Yes, I find that bigger items like figurines are very hard to sell on eBay for us Canadian sellers (shipping is just too costly!), so I've given up on selling those and just ask local friends around if they are interested... Or I'd make sale post on places like livejournal and offer surface shipping there, telling people that it will take 2 months for the items to arrive and make sure my buyers understand that. 

I see. Sorry about accusing that Pokemon strap being a pirate one ^^;; I just don't buy anime goods if I see Chinese on there (unless I know I'm directly purchasing from the official retailers) because of the chance of bootleg, and it's hard to tell from a photo...

That ONE PIECE lot... if I were to guess, it'd probably cost at least $30-40 to ship expedited to the US. You might want to put a higher shipping estimate for that one as buyers don't like it when you tell them shipping is going to be more expensive than your listed shipping, and it's against eBay policy to change shipping to a higher price after a sale.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply