I asked to retract my bid and he told me to remove my bid

givnology
Community Member

Hi I am new. I asked a seller to retract my bid, but he won't. What can I do? 

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Please contact the seller to request that your bid be canceled. However, it is up to the seller's discretio...

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

givnology
Community Member

I would be perfectly willing to purchase this if it is in good shape. After I bid, I asked him if everything is working fine, he said it isn't. I tried to cancel my bid and eBay said:

"You can't cancel your bid because there are fewer than 12 hours left before the listing ends and you placed your bid over an hour ago. 

If you don't want to purchase the item you can email the seller and ask them to cancel your bid."

And I've asked him a few times nicely to cancel my bid. I even asked him if he won't, why? 

I guess this eBay is not for me. This is not getting resolved and I have spent hours now trying to resolve things. I've proven my effort to do the right things.

Why does it say to ask him to cancel the bid if he is not canceling it?

Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Please contact the seller to request that your bid be canceled. However, it is up to the seller's discretio...

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

givnology
Community Member

I can't say he hasn't communicated with me, he has twice replied to me "mmmm" and "mmm."

I see now he is waiting for me to now have to pay him for what I have told him is no good for me right? 

This is how eBay works I guess, I wasn't careful enough and now have to buy something that is completely useless to me, and he won't ship it to me, and he communicates "mmm"

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

givnology
Community Member

New he is just being abusive. I feel threatened and what can I do now? I feel I will have to to block eBay emails as spam because his language is very upsetting.

Any suggestions?

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

oskye
Community Member

I'm sorry you are having such an experience.  Not a nice way to be welcomed to eBay!

The seller is at fault for a couple of reasons now. Yes, it is "buyer beware" and, by rights, you should have asked questions before bidding.  However, it is clear the seller knew the item had problems and did not work properly, yet he deliberately did not disclose this information in the listing.

re:http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/policies.html#listing

"Listing practices

For a satisfying and fun experience on eBay, we're helping sellers list their items in the most effective ways possible. As general rules, sellers have to:

- Provide a clear, honest, and accurate description about the item."

And now, he is being abusive.  Very wrong. From eBay's policies:

"If another member sends you inappropriate emails, such as spam, threats of physical harm, or messages with profanity or hate speech, report it to us.

Members who violate our 
member-to-member contact policy may face:
Limits on account privileges - Account suspension - Forfeit...
"

Re:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/policies/rfe-spam-ov.html

I don't know the best way to handle this.  But, if it were me, I would not pay.  He will likely open a "Unpaid case" against you.  10 days after the end of the auction you can open a case under the heading of "Item is not as described".  Your email trails will back that up.

Alternately, you can pay for the item.  Once it arrives, open a case under the same heading.  You will need to return the item - and this will cost you the shipping.

Ensure your emails to him are polite and professional.  Do not threaten him - just advise that you will be opening a case and you will, obviously, leave negative feedback.  Just be matter-of-fact about it - not threatening in any way.  If he has any sense, he will back off.  But, judging by what you've reported so far, I don't hold out much hope in the sense department!

I hope this helps a bit. Some of our other contributors here may have some better solutions or advice.

eBay can be a mine field.  But usually not this bad!  🙂  I hope you'll give it another try, but i can sure understand if you don't.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

Time to Report the seller for the abusive language.

As a seller, I believe eBay should give more reasons for cancelling bids, including "I bought elsewhere". "I don't like the seller's tone.", "The meds kicked in." or "I don't actually have any money."

And the bid retractions and the reasons should be posted on the Feedback page. As retractions are currently.

So, where does this leave you. Well, you made a rookie mistake, bidding on an item before you asked questions.

The seller can now start an Unpaid Item Dispute. He gets his fees back and you get a UID Strike. Many sellers block bidders  with Strikes.

But eBay is very forgiving of rookie buyers. You can ask, once, to have a Strike removed. But only once.

Or the seller, who is too dumb to realize that he can cancel any bid, any time (self-preservation, eh?) may also be too dumb to follow through with the Dispute.

Given the information you have given us, your defence for non-payment could be "Contacted seller who told me item is Not As Described in listing."

BTW, if you did pay, and he did ship, you can leave appropriate feedback and more importantly Detailed Seller Ratings. The normal rating is Five Stars. The lowest Rating is ONE Star. If a seller's DSRs drop below 4.3 his ability to list and sell is severely restricted by eBay. Another reason for cancelling bids from confused or unhappy bidders.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

oskye
Community Member

"The meds kicked in" would be useful. 🙂

Or "I didn't actually make the bid, It was my wife, child, neighbour, dog, meter reader, closet monster, or possibly the dish as it ran away with the spoon.  But it wasn't me!" :^)

Message 8 of 8
latest reply