I bought a CPU at a very good price but now I am very suspicious of a scam. What should I do?

skylaws
Community Member

I bought a CPU that as a value of 350$ for 49.99$ and here's what I've found out.

1- There's a warning about it coming from China and that it would be shipped in 2 days probably but would not received before 1 month + 1 week

2- The site sold more then 120 CPU at that price in 24h so far. (which is very unlikely that you can have all that in stock) Still going right now.

3- The site seems to be selling pet clothes and collars for 2 years, then suddenly sell CPU and Hard drives at ridiculously low prices but there is only reference of pet clothes selling in the reviews.

4- There is a lot of other things that the site is suddenly selling at a ridiculous price and all going for more than 140 or plus sold in 24h

I did find most of this info after buying the item 3 hours ago. there is even a forum going about it right now.

http://archive.rebeccablacktech.com/g/thread/39967925

What should I do?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

I bought a CPU at a very good price but now I am very suspicious of a scam. What should I do?

1) If that information appears on the listing, it is your responsibility to understand what that means. Mark your calendar at Day 35 to remind yourself to be watching for it.  You have up to 45 days to file an Item Not Received dispute.

2) Unlikely? Have you ever worked in retail or in a warehouse? You are not dealing with a mom and pop business who order items ten at a time.

3) Ever shopped at a Dollar Store? Owners will carry whatever they can buy and sell. Don't expect to return to a Dollar Store a month later and find the same items or even type of items available. Exception-- see #2 above.

4) Well, yeah. Chinese sellers are notorious for shipping counterfeit and knockoff goods. There is a thread somewhere on these boards by a guy whose cheap thumb drive, sold as 16 gigs, turned out to be only 4 gigs. But at least, it did work as a 4 gig. Clothing from China tends to be cut small and made from poor quality fabric.

4a) Many sellers sell a strange variety of goods. I sell, on another ID, books. My titles run heavily to science fiction, but I have a strong admixture of Christian and gay literature. Plus dress patterns. I've seen car parts and children's DVDs in the same store.

Further, the seller's feedback, even for a completely different line, should guide you as to whether they are likely to provide what they sold.

Relax. It may be fine. Mark your calendar.

EBay and Paypal offer strong Buyer Protection.

And in future, read the listing carefully BEFORE buying.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

The day after I've received a ebay message telling me that the Buyer might I've been compromise by a third party and they are working to help the real owner recovering is account.

So I've called ebay explaining to them that I wanted to be refunded because it was obviously a fraud. They told me that they agree but that I have to resolve this with PayPal. So I've called Paypal and explained the situation. They told me that I have to make a complain to the buyer first and give him time to respond. This didn't make sense to me since the owner was compromise by a third party. I've told them the third party are thief !? Do you really expect them to do something about it? They will run with the money and as we are speaking the are still getting a lot of money from people right now from selling that same CPU to hundred of people by the hours. And I added that this will be a big lost of money for Paypal as the will have to resolve all those payment from all those people.

After that the guy still told me I would have to wait the 10 days and give a chance to the buyers to respond. So the call ended like this.

5 min after I've received one email confirming all that.
10 min after I've received one email saying that I've been totally refunded.

Never knew what really happen but this thief didn't get my money at less. And the adds was remove from eBay.

The end

Message 3 of 3
latest reply