I bought items on eBay, the items was defective, shipping cost of defective item ?

myrevolution2012
Community Member

The seller on ebay offers $40 shipping cost for first item and $5 for each additional item with combined shipping. I decided to purchase 2 items and I paid $45 shipping cost.
One item I received turned out to be defective so I contacted the seller and he offered me a full refund. I kept one and I shipped the defective one back, he refunded me the cost of an item plus only $5 for shipping. According to seller, I purchased item with another item and it was combined shipping. I expected him to refund half of the total shipping cost because I purchased 2 items in once to save the cost . I felt it was not fair , any advice???

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I bought items on eBay, the items was defective, shipping cost of defective item ?

leb17
Community Member

Hi myrev...

Can you post the item number so we can give better advice.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Hello 'myrevolution',

Did you return the item with Delivery Confirmation?  That is what is required in any dispute.  It is also quite expensive when sending things internationally.  You do not say what the item is or where you bought it. 

If you did not send with Delivery Confirmation, you are rather fortunate the seller refunded anything at all.  There is no shortage of sellers who would pretend the item never arrived and you would not be able to prove otherwise.

I understand that from your perspective the cost of shipping owed to you is $22.50.  From the seller's perspective, you only bought one item (because one was refunded) and hence the shipping cost required for the one item as stated in the listing is $40. 

That means for every sale, with the exception of one-item sales, - but for those multiple sales, any number of items can go out defective, get returned, and the seller promptly provides his 'good faith' refund, but only $5 in shipping per item is ever given back to the buyer.  It seems a bit slimy, but those are the terms of the listing, and not much you can do about it. 

I suspect the $40 was for Priority, and that is an expensive way to mail things.  It also prevents all those false 'not received' claims by offering Delivery Confirmation.  So with a starting fee of $40, he can add a few items into the box at $5 each.  It's not outrageous, he simply ensures he's well protected.   If you want to read about the official return policy, it's this, - see Section 4:

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/item-not-received.html

And of course, you do have 60 days in which to leave feedback. 🙂

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
The seller only charged you $5.00 for additional items shipped in the same box. You sent back the additional item so the seller only refunded the $5.00. Since you kept one item,the shipping on that is $40.00,which is why the seller didn't refund half the total shipping cost.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply