I buy item from USA and the seller use GLOBAL SHIPPING CANADA CUSTOM TAXES

Do you know if I buy item in USA and ship to CANADA do I have to pay custom CANADIAN  taxes .the seller ask me to pay 130$ by GLOBAL SHIPPING and  do  I have to pay again the customes taxes here in CANADA ? any idea how much I can pay for item I pay 1300$ us.THANK YOU

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

If you buy from an ebay.com or ebay.co.uk seller who uses the Global Shipping Program, that import fee is your import fees. It is paid to Pitney Bowes who administers the program on ebay's behalf. They act as the customs broker. In other words, no additional costs are due when it arrives at your doorstep.

Whether or not to use the Global Shipping Program (GSP) as a buyer is a whole other question which I'll open to other members to answer for you.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

The purpose of the GST is to make the US seller more comfortable with shipping internationally.

It has few benefits for the buyer, unless the item is very heavy or is valued over $100.

The SELLER is protected because she only has to prove delivery to the GSP plant in Kentucky. After that, delivery is the responsiblity of the GSP.

The SELLER is also protected because the buyer cannot leave negative feedback about Canadian duty or taxes, or about slow delivery.

If I buy item in USA and ship to CANADA do I have to pay custom CANADIAN  taxes

YES.

Any item valued over $20CDN (about $14USD at the moment) may be assessed for duty.

There will be Sales Tax on those items.

There will be a service charge from the carrier for wrangling the purchase through customs.

The Global Shipping Program covers Canadian duty, Canadian sales taxes, and a ~$5USD service charge. This is what your $130 is made up of. There is usually also a 'shipping charge' that covers shipping the purchase to Kentucky with tracking.

There will be no further Canadian charges on your purchase.

For duty on your item look here:

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/dte-acl/est-cal-eng.html

Remember that the sales taxes (PST/GST/HST) will vary depending on your province.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply