I have a problem with Pitney Bowes charges.

korns.9
Community Member

I recently bought an item from a US seller. I am in Canada. The shipping cost and method were clearly stated. Shipping was to be USPS First Class International. I paid with PayPal for that amount. Later, another charge showed up on my PayPal account from Pitney Bowes for shipping, which was stated as being USPS Priority International. So I was charged for two different shipping methods, one tacked on later without my knowledge. Can ebay/PayPal do this? I protest!

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

If a second charge appeared after your initial payment and it was to Pitney Bowes, this is import fees. You unwittingly made a purchase using the Global Shipping Program. If you go back to the original listing and look closely, you will see Import Fees denoted on it. Easy to overlook. 

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

If those are import fees (look for Customs services and international tracking provided on the original listing) then the money collected by GST/PB is made up of the Canadian duty and Sales Tax legally required to be collected when an import is valued over $20CDN (about $16USD).

The seller ships (usually USPS) to Erlanger KY , the GSP plant. When it arrives there, the seler's responsibility ends.

GSP/PB uses the 'import fees' to pay duty if any and Sales Tax* and keeps ~$5USD as their service fee.

*usually more is collected for tax than for duty.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply