I'm Back...and I have a question of course!

gem-n-i-gemstonz
Community Member
Hi everyone,

I have not posted or even lurked here for a good 4 months or more. As I wrote back then, I had some computer problems, and I had 4 HD crashes over the past 6-7 months or so. To make a very long story as short as possible,I decided not to bother hunting down all of my "favorites" that got lost with the crash...until I was well and truly settled again.(This forum was one of those "favorites"). Well, the finally replaced my computer completely last week, and so I just started to lurk here a few days ago.

Of course, now there is a situation that I would very much appreciate some advice on.

I listed my camera for sale. The listing stated that if the buyer used the BIN, I would provide the transfer of the warranty free of charge(It cost me $15 US to transfer it over).

A buyer contacted me early on offering me a buy-it-now purchase which he wanted to include the shipping for $60 less than my BIN price. I told him if the item didnt sell, I would consider it and get back to him.

After failing to complete the sale with the buyer, I emailed the guy who had contacted me, and said that I didnt want to include certain other things the listing stated, hence I could not offer an official "second chance offer" (In the past I have been unable to edit the text of the auction when offering a second chance offer, and I was afraid the it would constitute a BIN. Then I would be forced to offer the warranty as part of my price) So, I asked if he was still interested in the camera, laid out my terms and he accepted. He sent money via Certapay, and I shipped. Now, he is saying that I snet him only a 16mb compact flash card, instead of 128mb. I have sent him the Nikon Lexar card that I had...I have never owned a 16 meg card like this, so I think he has either made a mistake or is playing games. he would like me to send him a 128 meg card and then he will return this one.

As yet, I havn't given him an answer to this. Firstly, I would have him send the other back to me, and then I would replace it...but I still come up against this thing thast I am SURE I sent him the right card. It is entirely posssible that he already had another card like this and just wants to get me to replace his 16 mb card with a 128 mb card. But I have to wonder why an owner of a Ford dealership would go through this much trouble for something which should be no more than $20-30 worth.

What would you guys do? How can I "catch" him if he is fibbing(If I can do that at all)? From what I can see, he has no way to prove that I sent him the wrong one, as I do not have any proof that I sent him the right one.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Jaqui

Gem Am I

The spiritual journey is individual, highly personal. It can't be organized or regulated. It isn't true that everyone should follow one path. Listen to your own truth. -Ram Dass

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

chuck111fishing
Community Member
what i would say franky i have two witness that watch me wrap this parcell and know what the contents are. I shipped you 128 card and not 16 refer to my ad. If he doesnt like to bad cant please everyone but you can always try
Message 2 of 7
latest reply

He owns a Ford dealership...poor guy he's probably bankrupt (and just how do you know he owns a Frod dealership...he told you so?).

He's a lowballer, sounds like a scam, tell him he has to reurn the card (I know you doing this)....he'll probably never send it.

I've had a few..."it's defective"...I offer send it back, I will reimburse postage, but they never do. On the other hand sometimes you just know the buyer is honest in which case I say "keep it, I'll send you another" (of course I'm talking low value items).

If he does return the card you could do the old "it's not mine It's lacking my "special" marking" but of course you should be very very sure there is no way you could have sent the 16mb card.

Ben

Ben
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 7
latest reply

Forgot to mention....don't think Certapay can be reveresed and it's an off eBay sale so feedback is not an issue.

This doesn't mean you should be dishonest of course.

Ben

- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 4 of 7
latest reply

sunset_sports_cards
Community Member
He is trying to scam you, stick to your guns and don't give in. You know what you shipped, and that is it.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

gem-n-i-gemstonz
Community Member
Thank you guys, for your opinions.

I will email him and tell him to send the card back. Then I will send him another card, and if he is suddenly unable to send the card here first, I will know why. I still feel absolutely sure that I sent the correct card, and I think I should say something. It is just too weird. These cards are bright yellow, and I have only ever owned one of them. Which is nowhere to be seen. I double checked, even though I clearly remember putting the bright yellow one in its original package. Maybe I should have him email me a picture of the one he says I sent.

Anyway, if anything more of significance happens, I will keep you updated.

Jaqui

Gem Am I

The spiritual journey is individual, highly personal. It can't be organized or regulated. It isn't true that everyone should follow one path. Listen to your own truth. -Ram Dass

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

gem-n-i-gemstonz
Community Member
UPDATE:

I emailed the client and asked for him to send me a scan of the card. He sent a scan of front and back. I thought for sure he was trying to pull a fast one.

I called Nikon, and Lexar. Nikon is who sold me the camera which came with the card, and Lexar are the manufacturers of the card. I asked Nikon if they could verify the part number so that I could see if the customer really was trying to scam me.

While I was on the phone and explaining to Nikon why I needed this info, the customer service rep said she had a package right in front of her. As it turns out, the front of the package does indeed say 128mb. But, the card inside is not that...it is a 16mb card. You can only see this if you open the package, and read the fine print on the BACK of the card....which I had never done. I simply used the card without ever checking its contents, or the fine print. Since I was told the camera came with a starter card, I just looked at the front of the package, and thought that since technology is changing so fast, they must now be including 128mb cards with the camera. As it turns out, the packaging that says that is simply an advertisement for Lexar!!!

The Nikon rep agreed with me that the packaging is extrememly misleading, but said that while Nikon buys the cards from Lexar, they cannot be responsible for the way Lexar packages thier products. So, I have called Lexar, made a complaint about ther "false/misleading advertising" in thier packaging, and asked them to help me by sending this client a 128mb card, since the confusion is a direct result of thier misleading packaging.

I am supposed to hear back from them today. Here's hoping that they are smart in as far as customer relations.

Jaqui

Gem Am I

Message 7 of 7
latest reply