I'm a new seller & may have to cancel a recent transaction. If the cancellation goes through, can the buyer leave negative feedback?

My listings state that I accept paypal & to please message me any questions BEFORE bidding. I sent an invoice to the winning bidder immediately after the auction ended. Three days later, I get a message from her asking if it's ok for her to make two payments, instead of one.  I wasn't too happy about it, but I agreed. Then I got another message from her asking me for my mailing address for her to send two personal cheques. Seems to me that she can't afford the item, but should have messaged be about it BEFORE she bid. Anyways, I would like to cancel this transaction, but am afraid she may leave negative feedback & I'm a new seller & that's the LAST thing I want.  *sighs* .. any advice?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

I'm a new seller & may have to cancel a recent transaction. If the cancellation goes through, can the buyer leave negative feedback?

leb17
Community Member

Hi oceangirl_2011

This is your boat and your are the captain of the ship, it is your choice if you want to accept 2 payments (2 checks for your item. if you choose).

All checks must clear "BEFORE" you send the item. (Make it clear that the buyer understand this).

"IF" you do NOT want to do it that way, send the buyer a (nice email) that is carved in stone how you want to get paid...stand fast on it.

"If" buyer not to resolve issue (buyer problem)..then file a UPI (unpaid Item ) dispute.

NOTE: If they don't pay they can not leave feedback.

NOTE...NOTE..Sellers are NOT allow to leave negative feedback for buyers...BUT...They can respond to feedback with a negative response.

NOTE...NOTE...NOTE... When responding to feedback "ALWAYS" be "Calm and factual"..

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
It's your choice,but you should consider the unpaid item dispute against this buyer. Your buyer is attempting to dictate terms to you. Your listing states you accept PayPal but She wants to change that after the fact to sending you cheques for the item. If you choose to open an unpaid item dispute,she will have 4 days to pay by PayPal,if she doesn't,you can close the dispute after 4 days and give her an unpaid item strike. Here's the unpaid item process.
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Hello 'oceangirl',

What does the buyer's outgoing feedback look like?  Does she leave a lot of negs and neutrals about nothing?  Sadly, there are people like that. 

You can accept the cheques if you want to.  Is the buyer Canadian?  If not, she ought to send an International postal money order.  More to the point is if she can write a cheque then she has a chequing account, -- so why not a paypal account?  She probably has that too.  Like you, I suspect there is more to it.

Sometimes people make a genuine mistake in purchasing (or sellers make a mistake in their listing!), and a cancellation is best for both parties.  Other times the Unpaid case is best for the seller.

I'd say start by sending her a note of some sort to get a better sense of her disposition.  Maybe she would love to wriggle out of it gracefully, -- who knows.

If you go for the Cancellation, she could decline it and you will not get your fees back, you cannot then file an unpaid case, and she can leave feedback.  Or she accepts, you get your fees back, and she can leave feedback.

If you go for the Unpaid Item, she may decide to pay up to avoid a strike, and then you do indeed run the risk of a negative.  Or she does not pay, you get your fees back, and no one leaves feedback.

Life has no guarantees.  Be as sweet as you can, -- and make your own decision.

Best of luck. 🙂

Message 4 of 4
latest reply