I'm having difficulty selling my items, even though I am listing them commonly 30-40% less than competitors for the exact same item.

big_sandwich
Community Member

Sometimes- even as much as 50-60% less.

The only difference I'm seeing is that competitors have nicer-looking listing layouts and some with far more feedback.

The catch is most of my items are less than $4 each... are buyers really that sensitive to listing layouts and feedback with items worth that little?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

I'm having difficulty selling my items, even though I am listing them commonly 30-40% less than competitors for the exact same item.

It's not the listing price that is important, it is the selling price.

I noticed one of your auctions is listed at $1.29, with free shipping.

If it sells to the USA, it will cost you $1.04 minimum to ship it by LetterPost. In addition you will be charged a fee for accepting Paypal, I think the minimum is 30 cents, and an eBay fee of about 9% or 10 cents.

So from your $1.29, your costs would be $1.44.

Time to rethink your business plan.

Since your competitors are selling at a higher price than you are offering, price is not the block.

Your low feedback probably is. You are going to be lower on the Search than more experienced sellers. Not much you can do about that, although doing some buying will get you more feedback.

Set your opening prices at what you would be happy to get. If the card mentioned above cost you a dime, that might be $1.54 to cover your costs, or it might be $1.99 to give you a tiny profit to cover your time. (Minimum wage is 17 cents a minute in Ontario, something else to consider)

Your listings are clean enough.You can find free fancy HTML coding online if you look around a bit. Or use the coding available on the Sell Your Item Form.

I would suggest that you drop the offer of a higher level of shipping at additional cost. Your buyer will read that as "blah blah shippped in a bubble envelope blah blah blah" and be annoyed when they get a kraft of poly envelope. If the customer wants more service, let him ask, and then negotiate the cost.

In my opinion, there is no point in selling anything for less than $10, even if you get it free. If that means making lots from several cards, so be it.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

corinnaa6
Community Member

Also I would remove your returns policy. I would not buy from someone who would not accept a return if I was unhappy with it or it is not what you describe..

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

It's not the listing price that is important, it is the selling price.

I noticed one of your auctions is listed at $1.29, with free shipping.

If it sells to the USA, it will cost you $1.04 minimum to ship it by LetterPost. In addition you will be charged a fee for accepting Paypal, I think the minimum is 30 cents, and an eBay fee of about 9% or 10 cents.

So from your $1.29, your costs would be $1.44.

Time to rethink your business plan.

Since your competitors are selling at a higher price than you are offering, price is not the block.

Your low feedback probably is. You are going to be lower on the Search than more experienced sellers. Not much you can do about that, although doing some buying will get you more feedback.

Set your opening prices at what you would be happy to get. If the card mentioned above cost you a dime, that might be $1.54 to cover your costs, or it might be $1.99 to give you a tiny profit to cover your time. (Minimum wage is 17 cents a minute in Ontario, something else to consider)

Your listings are clean enough.You can find free fancy HTML coding online if you look around a bit. Or use the coding available on the Sell Your Item Form.

I would suggest that you drop the offer of a higher level of shipping at additional cost. Your buyer will read that as "blah blah shippped in a bubble envelope blah blah blah" and be annoyed when they get a kraft of poly envelope. If the customer wants more service, let him ask, and then negotiate the cost.

In my opinion, there is no point in selling anything for less than $10, even if you get it free. If that means making lots from several cards, so be it.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

corinnaa6
Community Member

Also I would remove your returns policy. I would not buy from someone who would not accept a return if I was unhappy with it or it is not what you describe..

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

big_sandwich
Community Member

thanks, answers my questions.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply