I'm so ANGRY...Shipping Outrageous!

Hi everyone,

I'm not sure if I am posting on the right board I am looking for your expertise regarding outrageous shipping charges.

I purchased an item from the US the shipping charges posted were $78.66 when I recieved the item the shipping charges were printed on the label as $26.55. That is a difference of $50.00!!! The item was not large but it was heavy and it was shipped in a Priority Post medium flat rate box.

My question is:

Is there anyway that I can report this seller to eBay or Paypal for overcharging on shipping costs?

My gosh I am sooo angry I can't even think staight. X-(

Cindy
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

out-boards
Community Member

Your best bet is to contact the seller, and explain your complaint. Some people try to make alot of money with shipping and then claim it was a accident or a oops and refund. some do try.. but it never works for me.

Message 2 of 18
latest reply

It is always best to contact the seller first and ask (very nicely of course) for a refund of the overcharge.

If the seller fails to respond or refuse to refund, appropriate feedback and shipping charge DSR are your best approaches.

Message 3 of 18
latest reply

Vent here.

The most effective feedback is calm and factual.

And the most effective punishment is the DSR. Which is why we all hate them so much.

If a seller's DSRs drop below 4.3, her ability to sell can be restricted for the next 12 months.

Message 4 of 18
latest reply

Thank you everyone for the wonderful advice, I have finally calmed down and opened my order. The seller shipped only half my order...trying not to get upset again I immediately contacted the seller politely asking if the other half was shipped separately. The seller responded quickly and professionally stating that the order was shipped in 2 separate boxes.

With that said, I will patiently wait for the other box to arrive then compare shipping charges. I assume the second box is the same as the first which means actual shipping charges will be $53.10 that's still $25.00 I was overcharged.

Grrrrrr....I'm trying not to get upset again. I feel bad if I accidentally overcharge one of my customers $5. Geez, am I that naive?

Cindy
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

I have refunded if I overcharged $1.00  and have surprised many buyers by doing so

Message 6 of 18
latest reply

I too have refunded the overcharge. Let's wait and see what the seller has charged for the second parcel. Then I will politely request a refund.

Cindy
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

Don't forget that had the whole order been shipped at once, the total shipping cost would most likely be less than $53.10 so you certainly have a valid complaint.

On the subject of outrageous shipping charges, I have a question about the shipping calculator.  I don't use it personally because I only ship within Canada and to the U.S. and it's simple to enter shipping costs, but I've often wondered whether the U.S. seller is aware that a small item which can be sent letterpost, e.g. a DVD, shows a shipping charge of $25.00 or more to Canada.  I see hundreds of listings like this.  It doesn't even make sense now that the S&H is now subject to the FVF.  I've been tempted on occasion to contact the seller to see if they're aware of this outrageous price, but then I think, well they're free to charge whatever they want and I'm free not to buy from them.  Is it possible they don't know what the shipping calculator is showing

?

Message 8 of 18
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

Cindy,

When you see a postal charge that doesn't look right, go to the website of the postal system that's involved and check it out. It's easily done these days, when all the major countries' postal rates are posted on the web for all the world to see.

Tom

Message 9 of 18
latest reply

I've often wondered whether the U.S. seller is aware that a small item which can be sent letterpost, e.g. a DVD, shows a shipping charge of $25.00 or more to Canada.  I see hundreds of listings like this.  It doesn't even make sense now that the S&H is now subject to the FVF.

I'm not sure that a dvd can be sent letterpost from the U.S. to Canada although they can use first class international which is fairly inexpensive. When you see a $25 shipping charge it is more than likely because the seller wants to send the item with delivery confirmation and that is the least expensive option. Some sellers are quite....uncomfortable with sending an item without delivery confirmation.

As far as the fvf fees, they would be paying fvf on their first domestic rate charged, not on the $25.

Message 10 of 18
latest reply

As far as the fvf fees, they would be paying fvf on their first domestic rate charged, not on the $25.

I should know that, of course.  I forgot ... basically because I charge only a $1.00 more for U.S. postage than I do for Canada, so I automatically calculate the FVF on all S&H.

I never thought of the delivery confirmation issue.  I guess if a person has lost a few disputes, they can't afford to ship without delivery confirmation.  From the U.S. perspective, I'm sure they really don't care if they lose Canadian customers because that's not their largest market.  But if I charged $20.00 for a couple of lipsticks or a DVD, I wouldn't sell one single thing.

Most of the DVD's I get from the U.S. (which I don't buy many any more) are usually shipped for about $1.25, except in the case of a box set which is still under $3.00.

Message 11 of 18
latest reply

From the U.S. perspective, I'm sure they really don't care if they lose Canadian customers because that's not their largest market.  But if I charged $20.00 for a couple of lipsticks or a DVD, I wouldn't sell one single thing.

Exactly!  Many of them would rather lose a sale than take a chance but we can't afford to do that here.

They are used to shipping everything with delivery confirmation there and of course ebay pushes it. If they print a first class label for a package within the U.S., they pay just 17 cents to add on delivery confirmation. Wouldn't that be great if we could pay that much to add on delivery confirmation. Oh..and also to have our shipping costs half the price that they are. 🙂

Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Only 17 cents??  I didn't know that.  You're breaking my heart. 

Message 13 of 18
latest reply

Yup 17 cents.

Sorry..didn't mean to break your heart...:(  I'll share my chocolate bar if that will help...

Message 14 of 18
latest reply

I guess if a person has lost a few disputes, they can't afford to ship without delivery confirmation.

Financially they probably can. Emotionally possibly not. And of course there is the whole FB/DSR question which is not necessarily related to any sort of reality in this universe.

Message 15 of 18
latest reply

Cindy, When you see a postal charge that doesn't look right, go to the website of the postal system that's involved and check it out. It's easily done these days, when all the major countries' postal rates are posted on the web for all the world to see. Tom

Thanks Tom I appreciate the advice.

Well, I recieved my second package yesterday the total shipping cost for both parcels is $53.10 as posted on the label. The seller charged me $78.90 that's a difference of $25.80! I left the seller positive feedback because I am pleased with the product and speedy shipping BUT the overcharge is ridiculous that too was stated in the feedback and the DSR reflected how unhappy I was.

Now do I contact the seller expressing my unhappiness with the overcharge that maybe it might be a mistake with the shipping calculator? The problem is I wish to do business again with this seller because the product is good and priced low (even with the overcharge). I don't want the seller to block me.

Any ideas...I hate confrontation.

Cindy
Message 16 of 18
latest reply

toff3
Community Member

Cindy,

Absolutely you should contact the seller. Before doing so, arm yourself with the USPS rates for the parcels you received so that you can deal from a position of strength.

Many sellers rely totally on the eBay shipping calculator - a highly dangerous policy - and have little to no idea of actual postal rates.

Tom

Message 17 of 18
latest reply

I left the seller positive feedback because I am pleased with the product and speedy shipping BUT the overcharge is ridiculous that too was stated in the feedback and the DSR reflected how unhappy I was.

Now do I contact the seller expressing my unhappiness with the overcharge that maybe it might be a mistake with the shipping calculator? The problem is I wish to do business again with this seller because the product is good and priced low (even with the overcharge). I don't want the seller to block me.

Seriously??

You bought this knowing the shipping charges prior to purchase.

You have already left feedback and dinged her DSR's, despite the possibility that you think it may be a problem with eBay's glitchy shipping calculator.

She is unlikely to touch you with the proverbial 10-foot bargepole.

Message 18 of 18
latest reply