I may have been cheated by a seller

I bought an item last April -- paid for the item and shipping. In May I got an email from the seller (through eBay) saying that he was in California and couldn't  send the item 'til fall. He did say that he could refund me for the item if I wished. I thought I could wait til fall, but when I didn't hear back, I emailed him a week or so again, saying that I had decided to accept his offer of a refund. I have yet to hear back from him.

I did contact eBay and PayPal, who first said I should get a refund. The agent at PayPal told me it would take about 10 days. But today I got an email from PayPal stating that since it was past the 45 day period there was nothing they could do. I called eBay  back earlier this evening, spoke to an agent who said that even though I have an email record of what the seller said, they couldn't help me.The agent then offered to connect me to PayPal, but the next thing I heard was a busy signal.

I can't believe that eBay and PayPal would do nothing about this kind of dishonest practice. 

Has anyone had a similar issue?

What would any of you recommend. My father is a lawyer and so is my brother in the US. The agent I spoke to also mentioned filing a complaint with Econsumer,com. I don't know if I can file a complaint with the BBB where this person has his business.

Any advice would be much appreciated. I would hate to be out of pocket to the time of over $1000 CAD.

TIA

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

You should have filed a claim right away. Aside from suing him (I have seen cases about eBay) you have no other recourse. Why did you wait when it was a 1000 dollars? That is too much money.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

If you paid with a credit card through paypal, you may be able to do a chargeback if you contact your cc company.

Message 3 of 3
latest reply