I opened a new account to sell my s4 because I'm in need for cash.

stangomes
Community Member
I have to buy a laptop for my college work and being on low budget I'm selling my s4. Is there a possibility that someone will buy a phone from a seller with 0% positive feedback?
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

yes there is a possibility  but selling s4 you need to know how to protect yourself before you sell it and someone tries to take the new guy for a ride....

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

Phones are big business. You do realize that it will take a bit to sell, then, yer subject to the 21 day hold? It is NOT: List, sell, get the money BOOM-BABY yer done. There is a process.

Photobucket
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

stangomes
Community Member
The eBay guides make it seem it's so easy. I will ship the item immediately as the postal service is right next to my house 😛 so I hope I don't get subjected to the 21 days
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

There's folks that know the rules a whole lot better than I, the neophyte that I am.

Shipping immediately is not the issue. The issue is the buyer receiving the phone in good order, working, etc.

There was a scam, just a couple weeks ago, where a seller in China had built up a FB of 229 and when on a bogus selling spree. Sold $200,000 (two hundred thousand) worth in one day, $20 at a time.
Photobucket
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

@stangomes wrote:
The eBay guides make it seem it's so easy. I will ship the item immediately as the postal service is right next to my house 😛 so I hope I don't get subjected to the 21 days

yes, yes, they do make it SOUND easy don't they? Just like brain surgery, just cut open the head, fix the problem and voila! 

Not saying ebay is anything close to brain surgery, but it is nowhere near as easy as ebay makes it sound. 

You will get a 21 day hold on your funds (or until positive feedback is left, whichever is sooner). If you buy a laptop with paypal funds then you will be able to use it as soon as the hold is lifted, but if you have to withdraw to your bank expect another 3-5 days (usually 3)

As a new seller you are at a much higher risk from scammers as well.  

Be careful who you sell to, and make sure you ship with tracking, and only send to US or Canada. If you get a zero FB buyer, be extra careful. If you sell to a higher FB buyer, you will likely be OK. Even most zero FB are fine, but obviously by their nature, there is a higher incidence of fraud with them. 

Sometimes cash in hand trumps other things. 

Message 6 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for the tips! I'll be cautious.
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

I'd suggest using a local classified online service, but the last time I named any i got "pinkslapped", even though eBay owns or has a lot of stock in those companies.

If you do sell locally, sell only for CASHY MONEY. No Paypal, no cheques, no money orders.  And meet in a public place, like Timmies.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Yes I did put up an ad on kijiji too! no replies yet 😞

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Not sure what S4 goes for because well I am old school and refuse to have a cell phone butttttttttttt  Iwill tell you this ... If the item is Worth more then $250 send it xxpresspost with signature confirmation ,... If you do not you will not be protected against buyers claiming they did not receive it ...

When you ship with whoever make sure you insure it for the proper amount do not give in to anyone asking you to claim it lower value ..

Sense you are SOOOO New I would stick to only shipping to Canada or the US and stay away from International until your comfortable on ebay

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thank you for the tips! 🙂 I will make sure that it has signature confirmation. 

Message 11 of 11
latest reply