I paid $150 in duty for a broken item, do I get it back?

andorkov
Community Member

Title sums it up.  Importing to Canada the duty was $150.  But the seller said the item was defect free, and it quite clearly is not upon immediate inspection unboxing it.

How do I get it back?  The seller is nice about offering a refund, so I dont want to insult him..but it its not what I ordered, should I be stuck with these fees to pay now??

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Is the Global Shipping Program involved?

If so, open an Item Not As Described Dispute and say the GSP was the shipper and the item was broken in transit.

You will be refunded by the GSP and will not be required to return the item to the seller, nor will the seller be required to refund you.

Keep her in the loop anyway.

GSP will also refund your import fees, eventually.

Was the item shipped directly?

Then the seller may want the item back. You could negotiate for photos and a piece of the item instead, then ship that piece with Confirmation of Delivery (tracked parcel usually). You also want her to refund your return shipping.

She refunds your entire cost, including shipping both ways.

Cross-border there is a problem with the eBay policy that requires sellers to pay return shipping. It just ain't possible and eBay cannot understand this.

You are trying to keep your seller's costs as low as possible.

Now take your original customs slip and your return shipping slip (marked 'returned merchandise') to you local CBSA office. You may have to phone Ottawa to find this.

When you prove the merchandise is returned, CBSA will refund you. They may do this with proof of shipping rather than proof of delivery.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

xeposter
Community Member

@andorkov wrote:

Title sums it up.  Importing to Canada the duty was $150.  But the seller said the item was defect free, and it quite clearly is not upon immediate inspection unboxing it.

How do I get it back?  The seller is nice about offering a refund, so I dont want to insult him..but it its not what I ordered, should I be stuck with these fees to pay now??

Hello. Is the item the same item you ordered or is it completely different? It sounds like it was the same item, but the seller did not package it properly.

@andorkov wrote:

It is nice that you do not want to insult the seller, but if they are ok with you returning it for a refund, you should just return it if it is not what you ordered.

Hope this helps.

Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Can you specify....

She refunds your entire cost, including shipping both ways.
Cross-border there is a problem with the eBay policy that requires sellers to pay return shipping. It just ain't possible and eBay cannot understand this.
You are trying to keep your seller's costs as low as possible.

Ive initiated the return and the seller is aware, I guess what im trying to find out is whether I have to pay the return shipping? Im a bit confused with your statement above, seems like the seller should refund everything, but that I have to pay the return as its cross border in my particular situation.

Im being too nice thats all, I would like to know the specifics, but the ebay explanation is too confusing. Basically the listing specified the item was had no motor defects, when I get it I find right away it does, very loud audible sound, msg him and he said he would accept a refund in that case then, apologies. So as far as I see it, I was lied to, and shouldn't have any penalty. I imagine (if.1) as the one returning the item I have to pay shipping, because its cross border? But should if.1 be correct if.2 would Ebay gurantee kick in, and negatively affect the seller in some form or fashion?

Just looking for simply guidelines.
Message 4 of 5
latest reply

If the item was not as described, the seller should pay the return shipping.
Alex

This is my POSTING id.
Message 5 of 5
latest reply