I thought I had a reserved amount posted and it appears now someone has bought my item for way less

I am shocked that someone has now bought my item(notified by email) and it is for a lot less than I thought I had put the registered amount for, I must have done something wrong or what? Now can I change this?

Message 1 of 7
latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

I thought I had a reserved amount posted and it appears now someone has bought my item for way less

Good Advise .. Take the hit ...

Bad Advise.. You do not have to send it nobody is going to take legal action.. Write them explain what happen apologize and refund..

Be as nice as possible to try and save yourself from a Neg feedbck for you first feedback

Message 2 of 7
latest reply

Yes, like Brande mentioned, take the hit.

Mistakes happen, we have all made them.

Hopefully your loss was minimal.

Good News, you will make up the shortfall rather quickly.

Message 3 of 7
latest reply

You have the item listed with $20 shipping. It will cost a much more than that to ship. It cannot go Canada Post as it is too large. That leaves UPS and it will cost $150 to $300 (my guess) to ship.

Apologize to the buyer. Cancel the sale. A reasonable buyer will understand that you are new and made a mistake. The buyer may give you a negative but since you have a new eBay id, no problem just letting this eBay id die and get another one for the future if you want to sell here again. If you do, know and understand shipping costs first before you list.

Sell locally on Kijiji or Craig's List.  It is too big to sell on eBay because it is too large to ship for reasonable cost.

Some items are not meant for sale by mail/courrier.

PS You listed on eBay.com with your item only visible to buyers in the USA.  Very few Canadians could see the listing since you had no shipping option for Canada. Since you are in Canada (Duncan BC), you might have had a better chance selling on eBay.ca with local pickup only. But you would have to pay eBay and PayPal fees. Bettter to try free listing sites locally within your area.

Message 4 of 7
latest reply

Following thru on this deal is gonna cost you a fortune.

Pretty much everything Poco says.

Then? Better pictures. A description of what the rug is. My first question is "Is it real?". Who made it, where, when. Real Persian rugs, I am using Persian generically, can be worth quite a bit and they are worth every penny.
Message 5 of 7
latest reply

I'm in agreement with most of the comments of the other posters here.  

However there are people selling carpets on eBay who manage to deal with the shipping issues (it all depends on weight and size).  It looks as if the carpet you were selling was cut velvet, so I think it could go in a box via Expedited Parcel if you still want to go through with the transaction. 

I don't know whether you intended to place a reserve on the other 2 items you currently have for sale, but there is no reserve on either of them at the moment.  A "Buy It Now" price is not an auction reserve; it's only an alternative for a buyer who wants the item sooner than the auction end date.  

If you want to add a reserve price, you'll have to use the "Revise Your Item" option (see at top of your listing page, or in the drop-down list for each item on your "Selling" list.  Be aware that eBay's listing fees for reserve prices are scaled: the higher the reserve price, the larger the fee -- I rarely use reserve priced auctions because those fees can get really expensive. 

If I can give you some overall advice, if you plan to keep selling on eBay, it's a good idea to review the information under the "Sell" tab on the eBay main screen.  There are quite a few problem areas with your listings, some of which have been mentioned above.  These may not only reduce your selling ability but also cause you difficulty with customer satisfaction, leading to negative feedback and cases being opened.  

In my opinion, jumping from ID to ID when you encounter problems is a much rougher learning curve and won't help you to establish a solid seller status if you plan to sell more than a handful of items. 

Some suggestions I can offer from the point of view of selling clothing are:

a)  You should be very, very careful about stating a size number (e.g. ladies size 10).  I don't know if you are aware of this, but ladies' size numbers differ widely between the US and Canada (and UK/Europe) and between designers/manufacturers.  You can mention the size number if it's on the tag, but you also need to state whether you know if it's a Canadian or US size (i.e. where was the garment originally purchased?), and -- most importantly - - give accurate, actual garment measurements.  For example, a US buyer looking at the pink dress at size 10 will assume it is an extra-large size (size 10 is a big size for garments sold in the US). 

b)  State the actual fabric content in the listing if you know it, or if it's on the tag -- e.g. silk, polyester, cotton, linen, wool, rayon, etc.  "Chiffon" isn't a fabric content but a type.  This is very important information for many people. 

c)  You really need to have more photos of the garments -- back, front, side, and a couple of close-ups at the very least -- and try to at least hang the garment up if you don't have a mannequin or live person to display it on.  

d)  I would add more detail in the descriptive text (such as actual measurements - don't forget neck-to-hem length), and make the text a little larger.  I had a hard time even finding the description on the page.  Check other eBay garment sellers for examples. 

e)  Personally I've found that garments sold at auction rarely fetch the best prices, unless they're highly sought-after couture brands or have important provenance.  If you're planning to sell more than just a couple of pieces of clothing, I'd recommend using fixed price -- you can add "Best Offer" if you're willing to negotiate the price.  Use the occasional auction for lower-value items to draw some attention to your other items.  

And you do need to make your listings visible to Canadian buyers, and fix up the shipping options, as a start.  I hope these suggestions will help, and best of luck! 

Message 6 of 7
latest reply

Everytime I goto list an item to sell and enter a reserve amount it disapears as soon as I goto make changes to the shipping policy.  Entering the reserve amount has been very glitchy for me as well.  Disappearing at times while entering it.  Tried it with IE and Chrome several times so not a browser issue.

Does anyone know where I can send this error to?  I cannot find anything under contacts for an eBay selling item issue!

Message 7 of 7
latest reply