INR Case After 45 Days

Yesterday I had a buyer from Indonesia send me an Item not received message so it automatically opened a case. That part didn't surprise me as I knew that was part of the spring update but what did surprise me is that the buyer purchased the item on Feb. 25 so it was a few days over 45 days.I did refund her as I don't think that she received it but I wonder if she would have been able to escalate and if so...would ebay rule in her favor even though it was after the 45 days. Or, does that rule no longer exist with claims opened through ebay?

Another odd thing...A few hours AFTER I refunded her I received an email from ebay telling me how to handle an item not received claim. About 24 hours after I refunded, I received that same message from ebay in my ebay messages. A tad slow...

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

INR Case After 45 Days

I think I read another post similar to this.

Here's my guess, under this new policy where if a buyer does ASQ and picks a subject related to an INR or SNAD a case is automatically opened.

The other Seller was told by eBay they could ignore the claim because of the 45 day limit. Since a buyer can ASQ from a listing page for at least 60 days it would not suprise me if the new policy opens cases even when they are past the deadline. More of the usual one department not knowing what the other department is doing.

Last week you buyer could have sent the same message directly, you could tell them to pound sand, they could try to open a claim and would be blocked because of the time limit.

The real question is could you buyer have escalated the claim to a dispute or would they have been blocked from doing that.

You refunded so we won't know.

I don't think that she received it

Most likely!

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

INR Case After 45 Days

The real question is could you buyer have escalated the claim to a dispute or would they have been blocked from doing that.

I wonder what would have happened, I guess I'll have to wait until it happens to someone else.

Even if a case does get escalated...the seller can still refund before ebay decides on the case...is that right?

Message 3 of 8
latest reply

INR Case After 45 Days

Something I meant to comment on earlier... The following lines are in the message that that I got from ebay "helping" me to settle the case. The last line caught my eye.

Here are some best practices that may help you prevent future cases:

Use a trackable shipping service.

Upload the tracking information in My eBay right away—estimated delivery information based on tracking can prevent a case from being opened.

Always ship with signature confirmation for transactions totaling $750 or more.

Apparently the rules are different on ebay than on Paypal...confusing.

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

INR Case After 45 Days

PJ, check this discussion in dot com board, similar with your case, check post 21.

http://forums.ebay.com/db2/topic/Seller-Central/Buyer-Opened-Item/5200148160?start=0

Message 5 of 8
latest reply

INR Case After 45 Days

PJ, check this discussion in dot com board, similar with your case, check post 21.

To 'asiahhijab' - Thanks for pointing this out.  The post you refer to was a particularly clear example of the issue, so I thought I'd copy it here for all to see:

"Just an update to my case that was opened 3 months after payment. The buyer escalated the case after 3 days and this was eBay's decision:

"eBay Customer Support has reviewed the case and made a final decision.The buyer is not eligible for a refund. Decision: This case was decided in the buyer's favor. Although you won't have to reimburse your buyer for this transaction, the case will still be counted when determining your seller standing. You can also view the details of this case in the Resolution Center."

So it looks like allowing buyers to open up cases after 45 days is a way to put marks on sellers accounts without going against their terms of service and making them refund."

The point is that a seller must now consider that any case opened, even after the 45 day limit, could be a case decided against the seller, and result in a black mark on the seller's record.

To "PJ" - I saw the response you got on this issue in the last Wed. Board Discussion.  It seemed the implication was that your buyer was granted "an exception" by eBay in order to open his/her case, but this isn't what I'm reading from the posts on eBay.com.  It appears that post-45 day cases are a new phenomenon flowing from the recent policy changes.  As one poster said, for sellers there is now the potential for almost infinite consequences from any given transaction. 

It seems to me this opens another door for abuse/misuse of policy.

Message 6 of 8
latest reply

INR Case After 45 Days

...the case will still be counted when determing your seller standing.

This can't be true, could it ????

Wow, this could definitely could open the door for abuse.

Message 7 of 8
latest reply

INR Case After 45 Days

To "PJ" - I saw the response you got on this issue in the last Wed. Board Discussion.  It seemed the implication was that your buyer was granted "an exception" by eBay in order to open his/her case, but this isn't what I'm reading from the posts on eBay.com.

I agree...I don't think there was any exception asked for or given...just that it is the way they are going to do things now when a buyer asks about their item.

It doesn't seem right to me either that the case would count against a seller even if the buyer wasn't entitled to a refund. It doesn't surprise me though.

Message 8 of 8
latest reply