Import charges on items bought in Canada from US

Why are Canadian buyers being asked to pay 42-48% import charges on items they buy from some sellers in the US?  Why is this levied by some US sellers and not all?  Who receives this money?   Why was this initiated?  Why are import charges not levied on purchases from other countries?  Why is it that, when I ask sellers to remove the import charges, they can?  I have been buying from the US since 2000 and, in those 13 years, I have had to pay import charges perhaps three times.  I have removed all sellers from my "Saved Sellers" list who are now levying import charges.  You are losing a big chunk of your Canadian buyers because of this.  We are very unhappy and want answers.

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Your rant has been answered on your other identical

post from last week

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

ysmbl
Community Member

I am right there with you ! ebay isn't even a place to get a deal anymore.......might as well go to the store! Pay for your product, don't pay $40 to ship a pair of shoes along with $18 in import fees...... at the end of the day these sellers are profitting a whole lot from those paypal deposits we give them, which are clearly not put to full use as far as shipping costs. I ask them what's up, they tell me to contact ebay. I look for answers on ebay, they tell me to contact the seller...

Message 3 of 5
latest reply

Why is this levied by some US sellers and not all?

As was explained to the OP before, although he does not seem to understand, some US sellers use the new Global Shipping Program to protect themselves in international transactions. The program is voluntary.

Why are import charges not levied on purchases from other countries?

The GSP is only available to US sellers. Other nationalities are aware of borders, differing currencies, shipping times,and are emotionally capable of dealing with them. Americans ...... well.... The GSP is meant to encourage US sellers to ship internationally, now that the US market is close to saturated for eBay sellers.

when I ask sellers to remove the import charges, they can? 

The program is voluntary. EBay actually suggests that it not be used on transactions under $50.

in those 13 years, I have had to pay import charges perhaps three times.

Canada Post and CBSA can charge duty, tax and service/customs brokerage fees on any parcel. That they usually don't probably has a negative impact on the bottom lines of both Canada Post ($10 a pop not collected) and the national deficit.

Private companies like UPS (notoriously) and Pitney Bowes, which runs the GSP, must collect these duties and taxes and are allowed to collect a fee ( UPS $25 up , PB $5 up) for this service.

Write your Member of Parliament and ask her to push for import limits for shipped goods be raised from the current $20 to the $200 that cross-border shoppers can import. You don't need a stamp on the envelope and the postal code of the House of Commons is K1A 0A6.

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

I would like to get a reply from eBay to the points raised in my comment on October 7/13 concerning import charges. I would like a reasoned, logical explanation of why these charges are being levied, why only by some and not all US sellers, why the charges are as high as 48% of the value of the items being bought and who is receiving this money. This is not an unreasonable request but it continues to go unanswered.

Message 5 of 5
latest reply