Int'l customer with zero feedback bidding on item to USA/Canada only

Hello,

Someone from Hong Kong just placed a bid on an item that I have for sale - it's an old booksellers catalogue from a Toronto bookseller.  I have shipping locations as Canada and USA; there is a reason for this - I don't want to ship international. But now I have this bid. What puzzles me also is the fact that the bidder has been a customer since 2009 and has a feedback rating of zero. I would be interested in hearing other opinions on this.

Thank you,

Ken

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

The buyer could have a shipping address in the US or in Canada. You didn't set your buyer requirements.

I changed my shipping location to HK and I see "May not ship to HK". It should say "Does not ship to HK" if you did set your buyer requirements.

Screen Shot 2014-06-07 at 1.43.20 AM.png

Note that the buyer block is based on the buyer's primary shipping address on eBay; so even if you set your blocks, buyers registered elsewhere would be able to bid as long as they have a shipping address set as their primary address in a country that you ship to.

Screen Shot 2014-05-27 at 7.03.23 PM.png

To set your buyer requirements: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/buyer-requirements.html#specifying

"I have shipping locations as Canada and USA; there is a reason for this - I don't want to ship international... What puzzles me also is the fact that the bidder has been a customer since 2009 and has a feedback rating of zero."

Technically, USA is international. I wouldn't overthink it. If this were a high scam item, then maybe.

By the way,  it's (generally) not a good idea to start your auctions for less than your minimum selling price. Unfortunately, unless you're selling items in high demand, a lot of auctions are lucky to get 1 bid...

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Thank you for clarifying that. I believe that you may be correct also about the buyer having a shipping address in Canada or the USA - they have a feedback now from another Canadian seller.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

If you are concerned, you can cancel the bid right now with no explanation. You can also add the bidder to your Blocked Bidder List.

Though why someone would hijack an account to get an old auction catalogue is beyond me. And I know that they can be valuable.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

That's what I should have done, but I let the auction run out. Turns out it was to an address in HK. I requested a cancellation and the buyer accepted.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

I would've just shipped. Anyway, don't forget to set your buyer requirements: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/buyer-requirements.html#specifying

By the way, until the buyer hasn't paid, you won't know where their shipping address is located. My primary shipping address on eBay is in Canada -- that's what a seller sees when the auction ends.

When a buyer pays, he can change the shipping address at the checkout page -- that's the address that will appear on the PayPal Transaction Details page.

Post 4: http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Buyer-Central/A-Canadian-Member-With-Multiple-Mailing-Address-Available-...

Message 6 of 6
latest reply