International Shipping Question

I typically only ship to Canada and the USA, and I always ship with a tracking number.  My auction says as much.

I just had a gentleman from India bid on my auction and THEN ask me how much it would cost to ship.  Tracking to India is $250.50, and that's an estimate.

Long story short; he says he 'won't raise a fuss' if the package got lost or something.  Is that binding?  If I ship it to him without tracking and he later claims it 'got lost,' am I still liable?

Can I cancel his bid without penalty since he bid internationally on a non-international auction?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

Hi .. Buyer won't raise a fuss until item doesn't arrive.

Not prepared to take the risk.. cancel the bid and set your buyer requirements to block bidders from countries not shipped to. Can also block bidders who do not have a PayPal account and have unpaid items. Members you don't want to deal with can be added to blocked bidder list.

Covered here..

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/manage_bidders_ov.html

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Tracking and insurance are only useful to you. Without them a buyer who claims non-delivery will always win a Paypal dispute.

Tell your customer the price for shipping with the level of tracking and insurance you are comfortable with.

ONLY give Air Mail costs. Surface is too expensive for the service recieved.

YOU the seller chooses the method and cost of shipping. The buyer can accept or refuse.

If that is too much… some sales are not worth having.  

You may want to go to your Seller Preferences and set up Blocks against bidders from countries you do not wish to ship to.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Hi .. Buyer won't raise a fuss until item doesn't arrive.

Not prepared to take the risk.. cancel the bid and set your buyer requirements to block bidders from countries not shipped to. Can also block bidders who do not have a PayPal account and have unpaid items. Members you don't want to deal with can be added to blocked bidder list.

Covered here..

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/manage_bidders_ov.html

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Tracking and insurance are only useful to you. Without them a buyer who claims non-delivery will always win a Paypal dispute.

Tell your customer the price for shipping with the level of tracking and insurance you are comfortable with.

ONLY give Air Mail costs. Surface is too expensive for the service recieved.

YOU the seller chooses the method and cost of shipping. The buyer can accept or refuse.

If that is too much… some sales are not worth having.  

You may want to go to your Seller Preferences and set up Blocks against bidders from countries you do not wish to ship to.

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thank you both, very much.

The items are not particularly valuable, but it just seems to me that shipping with some way to track is just common sense.  Canada Post is far too expensive to reasonably do that in any international sense.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply