International Top Rated Sellers on eBay.ca

Just curious, do international TRS that list on eBay.ca get the 20% discount even if they ship without tracking? My understanding is that they should as long as they fulfill the Global TRS requirements.

Also, if they're registered on eBay.com and on the same ID, they list items they ship with tracking on the .com site and items without tracking on the .ca site, will they still qualify for US TRS?

Message 1 of 5
latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Tracking is not a requirement to get "Global TRS" and the 20% discount that goes with it.  You do have to meet all the other standards and requirements though. 

Tracking is not a requirement to get the US TRS discount (20%), but tracking is required on at least 90% of all shipments to get the Top Rated Plus designation, along with what eBay says is better placement and visibility in searches, etc.  And of course you have to meet all the other parameters for TRS+ as well.  

The key for US TRS+  is not what shipping services you show on your listings, but which shipping services are actually used to send parcels to the U.S.  So you can show whatever you wish for shipping to Canada and to the U.S., but 90% of what you actually ship to buyers in the U.S. must have tracking if you want them to qualify.  So, for example, I sometimes upgrade a buyer's shipping (free to them) in order to get tracking even if the buyer has only paid for the Small Packet (non-tracked) shipping shown in my listing. 

In my opinion you have to very carefully analyze whether the TRS+ designation is worthwhile going after for a Canadian seller.  Remember that the US TRS requirements are based on US transactions only.  So for example, you may have 300 transactions in a 12-month period, but if only 75 of those were to the US, you won't qualify even if you used tracking 100% of the time. 

The vast majority of my buyers are in the US and I sell quite a number of moderate to higher-priced items, so it's worth it to me to get the exposure, but may not be if a large part of your business goes to Canadians (or internationally) and/or you're selling items of lower value that aren't worth paying tracked shipping on. 

In other words, unless you know the (purported) better exposure on .com is really going to do you any good, and unless you know you can take advantage of it with enough listings to generate increased sales, you're probably better off just aiming for Global TRS and getting the 20% discount.

Message 2 of 5
latest reply

From what I recall to get the perks (the 20% without tracking or qualifying for discounts via Global ratings) you have to be registered in Canada and be a Canadian resident.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 3 of 5
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Remember that the US TRS requirements are based on US transactions only.  So for example, you may have 300 transactions in a 12-month period, but if only 75 of those were to the US, you won't qualify even if you used tracking 100% of the time. 

I am not sure that's true. Only about 65% of my sales on Ebay.com go to US customers,  but my tracking record shows 99.8% qualified to the discount - hence my TRS+ on Ebay.com

Message 4 of 5
latest reply

Oups!!! Sorry! You are right!!! Just checked my TRS+ Board 😉

Message 5 of 5
latest reply