Is a "canadian" store more safe than an "US" one?

Here is the QUESTION! If I switch to CA EBAY, my items should be visible on US site, but US buyers will be not able to bite me anymore - because they will be considered as "international"..? I recently got a "1star" from an Italian buyer - and Ebay didn't count it! Will be the same with US Ebayers? I am not sure ..... ?
PS Rep. confirmed that! I just called Ebay. It means, that if I lose my above average status there, I can easily move to CA..... and (in theory!) nothing changes!
Another question: can I download all my listing from US site and upload them to CA site? I have to try ....there will be surely a problem with the shipping options ....
Message 1 of 18
latest reply
17 REPLIES 17

First I have to make a disclaimer because I'm not sure if I correctly understand the way this will work after the 30th but here is how I understand it....

Discounts for listings made on .com will be based on your TSR's from U.S. buyers only.

Discounts made for listings on .ca will be based on your TSR's from ALL buyers. I believe they said they've done it that way otherwise many Canadian sellers wouldn't have enough sales on .ca to qualify for the discount.

So if I understand it right, you switching your listings to .ca would still take the TSR into account from your U.S. buyers as well as from your international buyers.

btw this has nothing to do with where your store is, but only with where you list.
Message 2 of 18
latest reply

Now I list exclusively on US site, but if I move to CAN, I will list on CA site. All CA listing should be visible on US site as well.

The discounts are not so important anymore. A few bucks more or less .. I am talking rather about the ability to open and maintain a Premium store. The difference is HUGE. If I have 1500 listings and basic store, I will pay 300 + 15 monthly. if I have a Premium store, I pay 75 + 50 monthly. Almost 2500 dollars a year MORE.
Message 3 of 18
latest reply

"The discounts are not so important anymore"

Several hundred dollars each and every month!

Top Rated Seller designation is earned on .com based on US sales ONLY. Sales within Canada or anywhere else in the world are irrelevant.
Message 4 of 18
latest reply

well shoot...replace all of those TSR's in post 1 with DSR's
Message 5 of 18
latest reply

Top Rated Seller designation is earned on .com based on US sales ONLY. Sales within Canada or anywhere else in the world are irrelevant.

I do understand that, but do you know if the designation will be earned for listings on .ca as I described....that ratings from all buyers would contribute to the TRS?
Message 6 of 18
latest reply

eBay has been very vague on the subject. In fact, I am not sure listing on eBay.CA has anything to do with it.

It may be a matter of viewing on .CA

Store location, we already know, has nothing to do with it in any case.

Although I sell worldwide, I will continue to list primarily on .com - it makes more sense to me (except for a few listings on .ca in Cdn$ specifically meant for Canadian buyers)
Message 7 of 18
latest reply

For example, the Top Rated Seller logo is not yet available on eBay.ca.

If you look on eBay.com at one of my listings listed in Cdn$ on eBay.ca, you will see the TRP icon! 🙂

That suggests to me the program relates to which site viewers look at the listings, not the site used for listing.
Message 8 of 18
latest reply

To answer the original question: "Is a "canadian" store more safe than an "US" one?

The answer is NO, definitely NOT.
Message 9 of 18
latest reply

"For example, the Top Rated Seller logo is not yet available on eBay.ca.

If you look on eBay.com at one of my listings listed in Cdn$ on eBay.ca, you will see the TRP icon! 🙂

That suggests to me the program relates to which site viewers look at the listings, not the site used for listing."

I agree fully....

I only have a canadian store and only list on .CA.
And I have TRS rating when viewed on .COM
Message 10 of 18
latest reply

It's my understanding that after March 30th we still won't have an official TRS program but we will be receiving a TRS discount for items listed on .ca IF we qualify for the TRS program on .ca. I'm just going by what Kalvin from ebay said in post 83 of the following thread. LINK

For all intents and purposes, eBay Canada does not have a TRS program. That said, discounts will be available to sellers listing on the .ca site who meet the criteria based on global sales.

The discounts are based on where you list the item, not on where it is sold from. So, if you qualify for the discounts on CA and list the item from there, you'll receive the discounts for that item regardless of where your buyer is located or from which site they made the purchase.
Message 11 of 18
latest reply

"The discounts are based on where you list the item, not on where it is sold from."

If that is correct, nobody would take a chance of listing on .ca where your shipping cost or shipping time DSRs may be negatively affected by overseas buyers.

Sticking with .com where only US sales are counted towards achieving TRS status and getting the discount - which applies to ALL sales, not just those to Americnas - would make more sense and minimize risks.
Message 12 of 18
latest reply

Some Americans think Canada is a part of the USA.

Moving the store won't help in their case.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 13 of 18
latest reply

bighillbargains1
Community Member
Some Americans think Canada is a part of the USA.

That's so true! I had two US Buyers, who actually thought Alberta was in the States. ?:|
Message 14 of 18
latest reply

Well, they ACT like their in the red states, anyway.;-)
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 15 of 18
latest reply

Well.....and some Canadians thought once, that Washington State is in Canada ...here something from my private collection:
Message 16 of 18
latest reply

Missing link:
http://oldmapsgallery.com/tallis_1850.jpg
Message 17 of 18
latest reply

I sort of like that..more coastline for us!

Thanks for the link. 🙂
Message 18 of 18
latest reply