Is eBay that incompetent????

miklamot
Community Member

I had a case opened against me for a customer who said the item I shipped them didn't work. I refunded the buyer. 

eBay also refunded the buyer(they paid) and sent me an invoice for the amount. I have proof on Paypal that the buyer was refunded, so why would eBay pay him and send me a bill. So the buyer got to keep the item, and got refunded twice. 

I can't believe how incompetent they are. Has anyone else ever had this problem? If they try and charge my CC or bank account I will calling my lawyer.

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

@miklamot wrote:

I had a case opened against me for a customer who said the item I shipped them didn't work. I refunded the buyer. 

eBay also refunded the buyer(they paid) and sent me an invoice for the amount. I have proof on Paypal that the buyer was refunded, so why would eBay pay him and send me a bill. So the buyer got to keep the item, and got refunded twice. 

I can't believe how incompetent they are. Has anyone else ever had this problem? If they try and charge my CC or bank account I will calling my lawyer.

It sounds like you didn't issue the refund using the proper method.

Did you refund from the original payment details page (or even better from within the resolution centre) or did you just use Send Money?

If it's the later then eBay only see that the original payment has not been refunded and they will do it for you.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 11
latest reply

And you may also get a resolution strike if Ebay refunded it.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

@miklamot wrote:

Have you given eBay the proof ?

You do realize that since last last year eBay and PayPal are two completely separate companies? Information exchange between the two is restricted -- so if there is a case you have to make sure you have followed through on both sides.

-..-

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

I do have proof through paypal. I already emailed them so I can send them the info.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Always refund through Dispute Resolution, nowhere else. That is the correct procedure as mandated by eBay.

Photobucket
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

@miklamot wrote:

I do have proof through paypal. I already emailed them so I can send them the info.

As others here have said, it's best to process refunds through the eBay system.  It sounds as if you refunded them from within Paypal.  Is that what happened?  If so, eBay may not have recorded the refund on its transaction details.  I've found that functionality and "communicating" have changed for the worse between Paypal and eBay since they became separate companies. 

The only thing you may be able to do at this point to prevent getting an unresolved case on your seller file is to call eBay Customer Service and explain that the refund was made.  Make sure you print and scan a copy of the Paypal refund details so you can send it to eBay if needed.  This is something you should do asap, because an unresolved case is poison.  It is not something you want to just let slip by uncontested.  

You'll need patience in dealing with CS.  Be persistent until you get someone who fully understands and confirms that the erroneous refund will be reversed (i.e. paid back to you by eBay) and the black mark removed from your seller account.  This may or may not be possible because by now the buyer has the money and your reversal would have to come out of eBay's pocket, but it's worth a try to avoid the unresolved case.

Best of luck with this, and next time be sure to use the eBay procedure for refunds.  I see that the eBay "help" page on the subject of returns still indicates that Paypal returns can be made (within 60 days of the sale), but this is probably well out of date, as are many of eBay's help pages.  

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

eBay/paypal stole money from my bank account without my permission because a buyer had stole my Sidney Crosby rookie card and said they did not receive it. There is nothing you can do about it. eBay always sides with the thief buyers. That is how eBay works. When you signed up for eBay you agreed to this. Your lawyer will not be able to help you.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

eBay should side with you if you have delivery confirmation to prove that the buyer received the item.  

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

"eBay/paypal stole money"

Your story is tiring.

In another thread you claim the buyer "stole" your card.

Now you claim eBay/PayPal stoke your money

It only takes one minute to look at your negative feedback to understand exactly what happened.

There is no evidence that anyone stole anything.  You mailed a $300 item without proof of delivery.  The buyer claimed non receipt.

End of story.

Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Oh my, that was quite the reply, wasn't it!'

Finger pointing.

Photobucket
Message 11 of 11
latest reply