Is it all Canada Post?

orbitdrop.ont_01
Community Member
Hello,

I am brand new to the Powerseller status and have read a great deal of all the very informative posts here. I can't believe how helpful you all are to each other. I only hope I can maintain my status so I can help out all the future powersellers.

My question is this... I read a lot of posts revolving around Canada Post (both good and bad) and wonder if every Canadian seller is a die-hard Canada Post shipper? I personally don't use CP unless I need to ship remote or extreme rural so I don't seem to have the same issues as most complaints about Canada Post. Does no one use the other shipping companies available to Canada? The shipping charges are higher, but it seems buyers are unbelievably amazed to see items arrive in days as opposed to weeks.

Anyone have any thoughts they would care to share? I would love to hear what the veteran powersellers have to say on the matter.

Thanks
Message 1 of 20
latest reply
19 REPLIES 19

Is it all Canada Post?

nan*55
Community Member
Personally, where I live the only option I have is Canada Post. I would love other options. ***************************************************

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 2 of 20
latest reply

Is it all Canada Post?

katiusciav
Community Member
i think buyers would be happy after the fact, if they do indeed agree to the shipping charge of another company in the first place, but i think it would deter alot of cx's even bidding on an item if i have to offer a yet even higher shipping cost than canada post. i have no doubt the speed, quality of service, knowledge, customer service etc...is much better than canada post (i have used others in the past, but only for special occasions)...but to keep costs down and try and maintain some level of competitiveness, i'm a little weary on charging more than i already have to with canada post.
although...i may change my tune given more time and more bad experiences with canada post...:-)
Kat
Message 3 of 20
latest reply

Is it all Canada Post?

whoscloset
Community Member
You can not be successful on a large scale, shipping outside of Canada, and using Canada Post. They are only good within Canada.

If you have any volume outside of Canada, then contact the couriers...UPS, Fed-Ex, Purolator, etc. and get them to quote you a discounted rate. You will need to provide past shipping records. Make sure you let them know that you are shopping around with the competition.

JMHO
Monique

Himalayan Salt Lamps - A Guide to Purchasing

Monique

Message 4 of 20
latest reply

Is it all Canada Post?

My first year selling on eBay had me using CP exclusively. At first, the service was adequate and pricing somewhat reasonable, especially to the "boonies". Fast forward a year or so, my business grew, packages got larger, heavier and the daily trek to the P.O, carting 2-5 30-40 lb boxes started to take its toll. Couple that with longer delivery times using their Expedited Service, customer service snafu's, we did as Monique suggested. We called the major couriers. Fed-Ex and Purolator showed up. UPS didn't show nor called nor returned my follow up query as to why.

Through "feet stuck firmly in the ground" negotiating, we went with Fed-Ex. And we couldn't be happier. Excellent discount, daily pick up for a measly $6 a week. (costs me more to take one trip to the Post Office). Want to talk to me about shipping times? Sure. How does 2 days Toronto to Winnipeg or 3 business days to most of the US Eastern States sound? 4 or 5 biz days to most other states and usually 6, perhaps 7 business days to the Left Coast. We have shipped about 500-600 parcels with them and they lost one. Settled claim and check was on my desk with 2 weeks. A few late deliveries always resulted in heartfelt apologies, reversal of the shipping fees and on 2 occasions, a HUGE gift basket.

We now only use CP for the odd under 2 kg shipment we may have (that's what they do best). For larger air shipments we use BAX Global. And no, I do not work for Fed-Ex. I don't mind rewarding good service. And that is exactly what I receive from them.

Message 5 of 20
latest reply

Is it all Canada Post?

katiusciav
Community Member
I believe it..
Kat
Message 6 of 20
latest reply

Is it all Canada Post?

We too only use FEDEX for shipments to the USA since CanadaPOST takes on average 2wks+ to get a parcel into the EAST COST and 3-4wks to get a parcel into the WEST COAST.

Canadian deliveries are no better - from Hamilton to Winnipeg took 11 days - driving it ourselves would have only taken 2days.

Go figure - their prices go up and their service levels keep going down and down.

One delivery to the USA that we sent XPRESSPORT (5days) back on January 22, has still not been delivered - needless to say the customer is not impressed at all.

Still no word on the whereabouts of the parcel after 7 telephone calls.
Message 7 of 20
latest reply

Is it all Canada Post?

orbitdrop.ont_01
Community Member
I am content knowing someone else out there doesn't use Canada Post. For me it is Purolator almost exclusively to North America (they gave me the best rates and have a local rep that is here in hours if I call him). I wish more of the selling features I used were married to Purolator as the hassle of doing everything manually is starting to weigh on me the busier I get.
Message 8 of 20
latest reply

Is it all Canada Post?

For me it is Purolator almost exclusively to North America

I presume you are aware that Purolator is wholly owned by Canada Post.
"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 9 of 20
latest reply

Is it all Canada Post?

orbitdrop.ont_01
Community Member
Oh I am aware of the marriage between Purolator and Canada Post. Luckily Purolator's management team isn't made up of rejects from the Canada Post management team.

By the Way, anyone thinking of breaking Canada Post's pull on you consider this... Purolator will negotiate a rate for you on day 1 of using their service based on your expected use... Both FedEx and UPS wanted me to use their service for 3 months first to establish my shipping volume.
Message 10 of 20
latest reply

Is it all Canada Post?

katiusciav
Community Member
thanks for the info orbit...i'm going to keep it in mind...

rejects from the Canada Post

:^O
Kat
Message 11 of 20
latest reply

Is it all Canada Post?

whoscloset
Community Member
Purolator will negotiate a rate for you on day 1 of using their service based on your expected use... Both FedEx and UPS wanted me to use their service for 3 months first to establish my shipping volume.

That is just untrue. All of these providers will quote you immediate discounts based upon projected volume, but you will have to provide proof of said volume such as your Canada Post receipts for the past few months.

When I went over to UPS, I had ALL of them in for quotes. ALWAYS let them know that you are shopping around. Purolator and FedEx offered substantial discounts but their reps admitted they couldn't touch the rates that UPS has given me into the U.S....they still can't. I had my local FedEx Business Rep in last month and the lowest pricing they offer is to CGTA Members which is what they were offering me. When I compared the rates to what I am receiving from UPS they were pretty much the same.
Monique

Monique

Message 12 of 20
latest reply

Is it all Canada Post?

There is no way that Purolator rates are better than CanadaPOST rates given the volume your doing orbitdrop.ont_01.
Message 13 of 20
latest reply

Is it all Canada Post?

Of course Purolator would be delivered faster since it is a COURIER service that you are paying for. CanadaPOST is a regular surface/airmail service - you cannot compare the two.
Message 14 of 20
latest reply

Is it all Canada Post?

orbitdrop.ont_01
Community Member
whoscloset

That is just untrue. All of these providers will quote you immediate discounts based upon projected volume, but you will have to provide proof of said volume such as your Canada Post receipts for the past few months.

Sorry to dissapoint, however I started my store from ground zero 2 months ago with NO receipts whatsoever. Of all the courier companies Purolator was the only one to give me an instant discount. FED EX and UPS required sales invoices.

futuretech_liquidations

There is no way that Purolator rates are better than CanadaPOST rates given the volume your doing orbitdrop.ont_01.

What I meant was Purolator rates were better than the other courier companies. Maybe once I have 3 months of sales receipts I can negotiate with FED EX/UPS but for now Purolator has treated me well. The front door pickup and speed of delivery (even to the southern US by ground) has given me great positive feedback.
Message 15 of 20
latest reply

Is it all Canada Post?

whoscloset
Community Member
Sorry to dissapoint, however I started my store from ground zero 2 months ago with NO receipts whatsoever. Of all the courier companies Purolator was the only one to give me an instant discount. FED EX and UPS required sales invoices.

If you don't have any proof of volume why would they give you a discount?
Monique

Monique

Message 16 of 20
latest reply

Is it all Canada Post?

orbitdrop.ont_01
Community Member
I really don't know... but my first ever eBay sale was on November 21 and the rate was negotiated as of November 3rd (dated initial agreement - signed 2 months before I was even in operation). This is sort of why I endorse Purolator use as the "others" wouldn't talk to me until I established 3 months of shipping invoices.
Message 17 of 20
latest reply

Is it all Canada Post?

power_batteries
Community Member
My shipper switched over to Purolator and we are quite happy with them so far. Rates to US for their ground service was a bit more than for Expedited Parcel (less difference now after our CP rates went up) but the service is often same/faster than Xpresspost USA while costing MUCH less. Air rates are much better than FedEx ever gave us and much faster and much more reliable than Xpresspost ever was. FedEx rep who apparently hadn't been by in over 2 years (I've only been here for a year) did show up to say 'Hi!' a few days after we started using Purolator. Said he would work out a new package for us but haven't heard from him since. It's been nice to have customer service and tracking too. I've found that the website doesn't always give you the greatest info, but you can get more details if you need to by calling in. (And it takes seconds instead of holding for several minutes and then waiting 3-5 days [Xpresspost - Canada Post] to get more info!) As others have already said, shop around and get what will be best for you. Our Purolator Rep did a great job in working out a contract that worked well for us. Find someone willing to work out what's best for you. Rates will eventually go up if you do not at least come close to the projected volume in your contract so set something achievable. Good luck!
Message 18 of 20
latest reply

Is it all Canada Post?

Check your Purolator contract closely, they along with FedEx et al will offer you a discount based on unsubstantiated projected volume but they MAY also include in the contract a right to charge higher rates RETROACTIVELY if you do not meet your commitments.

Message 19 of 20
latest reply

Is it all Canada Post?

power_batteries
Community Member
Yes, you're right recped. That's why you have to make sure you set a realistic volume or you will be hit HARD later on. (Unlike Canada Post where you might get away with it for a while without being hit retroactively.)

C.G.
Message 20 of 20
latest reply