Is it legal to have an item with the option "buy it now" then taking off this option once the seller sees he can make more?

atwarwithmyself
Community Member

I'm in a bidding war and got to the "buy it now" price the seller was asking but the seller took the "buy it now" option and I really want the item and it should technically be mine but now i'm in a bidding war. Is that legal?

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Is it legal to have an item with the option "buy it now" then taking off this option once the seller sees he can make more?

Hi.. Its far more likely that eBay removed the BIN. BINs can disappear on first bid or at 50% of BIN in some categories or on reserve being met..

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/buy/questions/buy-it-now.html

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Hello 'atwar...',

The seller didn't do it.  The seller set up the listing so that at a certain point the 'buy' option is not longer an option, but that's hardly anything naughty.  See the info link posted by heidilynn.

It's part of the game.  You were hoping to get the item for a lot less than the 'buy' price, even though you were willing to pay it.  So you took a chance, and you continued to bid.  Something of a gambler, are you?  Well, if you want it now you'll have to win the auction.

Don't think of it as how much more money it is costing to get it, -- think of it as how much more fun you had getting it.

Hope you win! 🙂

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
On The other hand,I've seen auctions where the final bid price ends up being more than the original bit it now price. It depends on how spirited the bidding becomes. All you can do is bid the maximum amount that you are willing to pay and see what happens.
Message 4 of 4
latest reply