Is it necessary to give your email when buyer asks for it?

I just sold my first item and the buyer has asked for my email adress is this normal practise and is it safe?

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

The buyer doesn't need your email address. He just needs to select the Pay Now button on his Purchase History.

There's a known scam wherein the buyer sends the seller a fake PayPal "payment received" email and the seller ships -- not realizing that no payment was sent.

When you receive a payment, make sure to login to your PayPal account and check if the payment is actually there. PayPal should say that you're eligible for Seller Protection and that it's OK to ship before you send the item.

Don't send your email address. It's possible that this buyer isn't out to scam you and is just an inexperienced buyer -- but the camera you sold isn't exactly a low fraud item.

Please read the Seller Protection policy. You need to ship with tracking and signature confirmation for items $325 (US$250) or more (shipping included) to qualify for Seller Protection. PayPal is increasing the dollar amount for the signature confirmation requirement to $850 CAD on May 15.

If the buyer doesn't pay: http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/unpaid-items.html

By the way, did eBay pull your listings? I got an error message for 2 of your listings when I looked them up. If yes, you shouldn't have listed the item again.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

New seller selling cameras = target for scammers.

Please take the time to read all the selling policies.

Scammers rely on new sellers not knowing ebay policies. That is why they target them.

In your first thread, you asked "how to start selling" and were advised to "Choose the (low value) item you plan to sell." Instead you chose high value item which makes you appealing to scammers. I'm not saying your buyer is a scammer but there is no reason for them to ask for your email address. All the need to do is click on the pay now button.

http://community.ebay.ca/t5/Selling-on-eBay/how-to-start-selling/qaq-p/129729

I'm glad you have come here for advice. However, it is important that you follow the advice given. Some of us old timers have been around for years and are familiar with common scams. It is nowhere nearly as bad as it used to be (thanks to beefed up security on ebay's part) but the weasels still try to get in.

**********************************************************************************

Non payers should get unpaid item strikes and be added to block bidders lists. Period.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply