Is reporting Bootlegs a waste of time.. Have you tried and nothing happne

I have reported guy to ebay 10 times now over a week still nothing happens.. I have called twice Nothing happens...

I have now tok it upon myself to waste my time as I did once before if some posters remember .. This time I did not take it laying down watching waiting for nothing to happen and have reported them to Disney and to Canadian piracy act something something something..

Has anyone ever had luck Report Fake or bootlegged goods  to ebay .. 

I know last time I spent a month stock piling info and sellers and tons of proof and nothing ever happen to those sellers ..

Message 1 of 16
latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

Not sure. Yer assuming that they are not taking any interest. I am never sure about that. Sometimes, these things are left up because there is a background investigation going on. Sometimes, some of this is left up so they can follow the trail back.

That sorta kinda means to me that potential buyers will be protected.

A number of years back, I was reporting scam vehicle ads left, right, and centre. eBay Canada would leave them up. I sent emails and pretty much got a "mind yer own business" reply.

Since then? Scam ads are virtually non-existent. I would assume there are things ya just do not know.

Reporting is the best thing to do. Employer I had said "If you do not report things, we just do not know". Keep reporting as that will make them aware. That allows them to install protocols to prevent future abuse. It allows for current malfeasance to be dealt with.

Don't not do it, but, don't drive yerself crazy doing it. Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.
Photobucket
Message 2 of 16
latest reply

Well I have done all I can and now I will wait and watch ...

The things that bugs me about giving it time is in this situation the seller makes it obvious with no need o investigate...

Disney movies come with Rewards points but the knock offs do not come with them ... So when a seller states Brand New but no rewards points it means 1 of 2 things..

These movies were opened and resealed and the points were taken out making the products Not new and the seller is lying OR They are knock off as I know for a fact all knock of Disney DVD's Are identical except for 2 things ... The look of the picture on the disc has small differences or they do not come with Rewards points..

People think because there is no seal on top (Not True as disney does not put white stickers seals on there movies for alot of them)

OR

They think it's fake because it does not have the buena vitsa stamped on the back ( Not true not all disney movies come with those stamps)

I know this because I have done my research and I also buy movies Direct from Disney ...

Now I will just watch and wait to see if anything happen and if it finally does I am going to goin on a bootlegg reporting spree to clear things up ... This is not about competitors as I only sell Disney blu rays not DVD because the DVD MArket is so flooded with bootlegs I can not compete and do not want to compete with lying scammers..

Message 3 of 16
latest reply

Been there, done that, got the t-shirt.

Obviously from another dealer, must be my price point. Smiley Happy

Message 4 of 16
latest reply

Actually, BB, I have been sitting here all day waiting for that exact response. Exact.
Photobucket
Message 5 of 16
latest reply

You are reporting supposed fake Disney videos....eBay will do nothing based on your reports for one simple reason. You have absolutely no standing, you re not the copyright holder, you are not Disney, you don't represent Disney and most of all your are a competitor (of sorts)  to the seller you are reporting.

How would you like it if I told eBay you were selling bootlegs and they pulled your listings based solely on that?

On the other hand if Disney, who have plenty of lawyers and copyright trolls, issues a takedown order through the Vero program eBay will instantly pull the listings and they will do that even if the items in question are 100% legit.

Bogus Vero takedowns are a huge problem already, if eBay started responding the same way to reports from just anybody there would be nothing left on the site.

If you really feel strongly about this particular situation then contact Disney and get them to file the infringement notice.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 16
latest reply

I did contact disney and I contact the Canadian Piracy act ... This is not an assumption all the facts I need are actually clearly stated in the idiots listing...

You are assuming I asummed ...

This buyer is 0% my competitor as I do not Sell Disney DVD's so that has nothing at all to do with at all  ...  Sorry I think I have 1 Disney DVD .. I only sell blu rays due to bootlegged DVD's I stay away ...

2 Reasons I did this ...

I hate scum bags who take money from real legit businesses a.k.a honest people working hard (NOT MY BUSINESS)

I do not like seeing people be taken advantage of..

No to mention if you were asked I if your movies were legit would you not respond yes ... I got no response then I got blocked.. Not going off that info that would be an assumption but it has nothing to do with why I know there fake ... but for someone with 5 stars communication that is a pretty strange response to a simple question...

If ebay looked they could see for themselves also they could see I am not a competitor of any sort as I do not sell Disney DVD's as you can't compete with fake DVD prices ....

I know you could not have known all the details because last time I posted them I got suspended so I will not post it again..

If you want to report me as selling bootlegs go right ahead the difference is I am 100% certain and the only one assuming here is you

Message 7 of 16
latest reply

FYI That last line did not sound good ..

I do not sell bootlegs I was just saying if yu wanna make a fake report of me selling bootlegs be my quest and join the dishonest people party ....

Message 8 of 16
latest reply

Brandee, no need to explain, I do not think anyone here would question your integrity.
Photobucket
Message 9 of 16
latest reply

FYI I love how I am going out of my way to stop this guy from ripping of people which he has done to roughly 1000 people thus far and your Assuming post is trying to point me out as a bad guy just trying to report people and have them taken down to better my business ...

Maybe I should just forget about and let 100 more get ripped off .... That would make me a good guy right?

I randomly stumbled upon it and did what any good person should do but your right maybe I should just turn a cheek ..

Like Disney is ever gonna come after them ..

If good honest people don't do things like this then who will .. I for one did it because I care about people in general

YEs your Assuming post got very much under my skin

Message 10 of 16
latest reply

thank elm
Message 11 of 16
latest reply

Rec I just wanted to apologize I took it as questioning my integrity but I know you don't know the full story sorry are just bringing up some valid points....

Little peed I just found out my father in law trashed my car today and my wife is mad at me for it (Because I am on OT so I should have been the one driving but I am at work so it's my fault my drunk father in law just cost me 13k ) so Maybe I should leave the boards for the day as I think I might be a little to stressed out ...

I just wanted to know if anybody has had any success with this .. It is not consuming me like last time jsut urks me and I want to know if it just possibly might be worth my time ,, ,

Cheers everyone

Message 12 of 16
latest reply

If you have reported to Disney and they don't care then that's the end of the story.

In answer to your specific question, has anyone had any success, the answer is no, unless you are a copyright holder and registered with and file a complaint through Vero eBay will not do anything with respect to a copyright infringement report.

Only the actual copyright holder or their assigned agent can make such a complaint. If it were any other way the amount of bogus claims and reports would be huge. eBay themselves are in no position to to respond to unsubstantiated reports. If they made a mistake they would open themselves up to legal action, it's only through the DMCA (via Vero) that eBay is protected from false claims and I can tell you from personal experience that a huge percentage of copyright infringement claims made by Vero members are false. It should be noted that the bogus claims are more likely to be trademark infringement rather than copyright but they come in both flavours.

If you want to read about Vero/DMCA abuse try spending a little time here:

http://www.tabberone.com/Trademarks/HallOfShame/HallOfShame.shtml

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 13 of 16
latest reply

@recped wrote:

[...]  unless you are a copyright holder and registered with and file a complaint through Vero eBay will not do anything with respect to a copyright infringement report.

Only the actual copyright holder or their assigned agent can make such a complaint. If it were any other way the amount of bogus claims and reports would be huge. eBay themselves are in no position to to respond to unsubstantiated reports.

I'm not so certain about this, having been on the other side of the street, so to speak.  I hold copyright to my line of antique sewing patterns, although I'm not (yet) registered with VeRO (I mean to do this soon, FWIW). 

A few months ago I had a huge battle with eBay over copyright to my designs, and many of my listings were taken down.  I can only assume this resulted from complaints by someone -- a competitor most likely.   I suppose it's also possible that eBay itself decided to target me.  Whatever the source, the basis of the complaint was completely erroneous and founded on a total lack of knowledge or understanding of copyright law. 

After lengthy email and telephone communications, submissions of copyright and legal material to eBay to support my position, and (I must add) with the assistance of an eBay.ca staffer who was the only intelligent and informed individual of the whole bunch, eBay finally relented. 

The sheer ignorance of eBay's telephone representatives where copyright and trademark issues were concerned was stunning -- even though I went up the chain of authority through 4 levels, to someone who was supposed to be an account manager.  As a matter of fact, none of them could even understand the distinction between trademark and copyright violations at all.  I literally had to try to explain the law to these people, but it was like trying to pound sense into a brick wall.  And these are the people who are supposed to be protecting copyright holders on eBay -- yikes!

Having said this, I would agree with you that a VeRO registrant probably has a better chance of getting action from eBay on infringement issues, whether the infringement claim is bogus or genuine.  Generally, with today's modern goods on this site, I would imagine you're right that trademarks are at issue more often than copyright. 

However, my own experience on this subject taught me that even an uninformed or spurious claim of violation may get some traction with eBay, largely because eBay representatives themselves are ignorant and uninformed about the relevant legalities, even the ones who dospeak English.  I had assumed eBay would have some sort of legal advisors giving their representatives at least basic instruction and guidelines on protecting owners' rights, but I realize now that that belief was a complete illusion. 

So I think it may be worthwhile to make an informed and genuine complaint (like 'brande' has done), largely because the "watchdogs" at eBay don't seem to know the difference between friend and foe, and may pounce on anyone on the basis of any report, as they did on me.  In those circumstances, why not make a legitimate report?

Message 14 of 16
latest reply

A few months ago I had a huge battle with eBay over copyright to my designs, and many of my listings were taken down.  I can only assume this resulted from complaints by someone -- a competitor most likely.

If your listings were pulled, did you get a VERO notification? If you did that means whoever filed the complaint is a Vero member. Hundreds of Vero member file bogus claims every day. Unfortunately they can get away with it because the DMCA makes it very difficult to fight these fraudulent takedown orders. Further, eBay is required to act on a complaint by a Vero member, their hands are tied, it's only through the counter notice procedures that you can fight these bogus claims.

Message 15 of 16
latest reply

@recped wrote:

A few months ago I had a huge battle with eBay over copyright to my designs, and many of my listings were taken down.  I can only assume this resulted from complaints by someone -- a competitor most likely.

If your listings were pulled, did you get a VERO notification? If you did that means whoever filed the complaint is a Vero member. Hundreds of Vero member file bogus claims every day.  

No, I didn't get a VeRO notification.  Not only do I hold the copyright to my work, but I have a couple of (rather unique) trademarks as well that, as far as I can tell from reviewing the list of VeRO owners, don't come anywhere close to anybody else's names or product types to have caused any VeRO member any concerns at all.  I actually have no direct competitors, but 3 or 4 "wannabees" whose products are qualitatively inferior and not comparable to mine. 

At the time I attributed the complaint to one of them hoping to clear me out of the way on eBay, you know -- sour grapes.  If it was a competitor, they were too ignorant of copyright law to make a viable complaint, but it did take up nearly a week of my time dealing with the issue. 

In the end, I was utterly flabbergasted by both the lack of knowledge and the lack of action on the part of eBay.  If it hadn't been for my "white knight" at eBay Canada, I may very well have had to completely abandon the main area of my eBay business.  It really made me wonder if I'm going to have to fight this nonsense over and over again, even if I do register with VeRO.

Message 16 of 16
latest reply