Is there a VAT tax on selling fees when selling from Chile, South America?

Just wondering if sellers from Chile on here know about any VAT issues I should be aware of. Thanks.

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

There was a huge fight about this a few weeks ago concerning whether or not eBay was registered for the Canadian Goods and Services Tax, which is a form of VAT.

The most sensible answer was that any such tax, if applicable at all, was part of the fee and not a separate charge. Further, if this was a problem, it was eBay’s problem, as a GST registered business,  and not that of the seller.

The point was made that for GST registered sellers, GST paid to others can be a tax deduction. However, cooler heads pointed out that getting the information would probably cost more than the deduction was worth.

Further complicating your question is that eBay does not have a Chilean site, to my knowledge. You are listing on a foreign site and for exact information you would have to consult a Chilean tax accountant. Again, more expensive than the results warrant.     

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

You do realize that you posted this on the Canadian help board right?

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

There was a huge fight about this a few weeks ago concerning whether or not eBay was registered for the Canadian Goods and Services Tax, which is a form of VAT.

The most sensible answer was that any such tax, if applicable at all, was part of the fee and not a separate charge. Further, if this was a problem, it was eBay’s problem, as a GST registered business,  and not that of the seller.

The point was made that for GST registered sellers, GST paid to others can be a tax deduction. However, cooler heads pointed out that getting the information would probably cost more than the deduction was worth.

Further complicating your question is that eBay does not have a Chilean site, to my knowledge. You are listing on a foreign site and for exact information you would have to consult a Chilean tax accountant. Again, more expensive than the results warrant.     

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Thank you for your response, femmefan146. I didn't see Chile in the VAT section (It was all EU countries) so I guess I'll have to call eBay directly.

Regarding seeling from Chile, there seems to be a misunderstanding here about the international nature of eBay Canada.  There doesn't have to be a "Chilean eBay". I am a Canadian living n Chile and am selling on eBay Canada. My items' location has to be CHILE but I am registered with eBay CANADA. eBay Canada allows this, and I had to click that I understood and agreed with their Cross Border Trade Agreement. 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply