Is there a way to excluding particular vendors from search results and those charging the custom fee

There are vendors who post lots of very over priced items and fill my pages with their listings - tried using advanced search to exclude their name - does not work.

Also this Customs fee that is supposed to save me from paying a non-existent import fee when the product arrives in Canada (there is no duty or import fees on used toys for example) but now american vendors are thinking they are doing me a favour by charging this up front.  I won't pay and want to hide any vendor who trys to charge me this fee - again cannot find way to exclude their listings.  Is there a way?  Only way is to exclude all american vendors which is what I'm leaning towards doing. 

This is taking all the fun out of shopping on eBay. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Is there a way to excluding particular vendors from search results and those charging the custom fee

(there is no duty or import fees on used toys for example)

There may be no duty, but the seller would have to specify that the item is 'used', and not all will do that on the customs label. CBSA can only go with what they are told.

There are sales taxes on used items, just like on new ones.

And the import fee/customs brokerage fee/ service fee is from the shipper not the Canadian government. PB/GPS charges about $5, Canada Post $9.95, and most couriers $25 or more as a minimum.

Oh, and on new items it is the place of manufacture, not the place of purchase, that triggers duty. So if you bought a $20 USD sweater from a US seller that was actually made in China, it would be dutiable and taxable.

On Search, you could try Searching for Highest Price and Shipping First. Seems counter-intuitive, but it is easier to run through several dozen high-priced items to get to your price point, than to wade through thousands of low-priced and poorly described items. 

Use List rather than Gallery in Searches, since the 'Import Charges' messaged does not appear in Gallery format.

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

RE: Customs and import charges.  This charge that has appeared is there to save me the trouble of paying when the item arrives - right?  Well over the years I've bought a few thousand dollars worth of stuff (model railway and photography equipment) and have paid for broker fees once (will never buy from one who ships by UPS again) and have paid a small fee (under $10) at the post office on a couple of occasions.  But never customs fees, and total paid over the years is less than this new fee wants to charge me on every purchase. Over the years excluding that one UPS "mistake" where the broker fee was several times the cost of the item, excluding that I've probably paid less than $40 on over $4,000 in purchases.  Something just does not add up.  If I see that fee, I don't buy.  Been shopping more on eBay.UK and other world sites.  This "service" seems limited to the USA.   And if a shipper refuses to specify USED on an item, I'd be sure and make a point of that in my feedback.  Small effort on sellers part.  And truthful.  

I did find a way to exclude a specific vendor in the advanced search functions.  It's in a pull down menu.  

You wrote: "Use List rather than Gallery in Searches, since the 'Import Charges' messaged does not appear in Gallery format."  I didn't even know there was a gallery view - was already using the list view.  But still can't exclude those who include the customs fee.  

Just need to scroll more.  I can develop a list of vendors who do and that will help as I can exclude them. 

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

"Well over the years I've bought a few thousand dollars worth of stuff (model railway and photography equipment) and have paid for broker fees once (will never buy from one who ships by UPS again) and have paid a small fee (under $10) at the post office on a couple of occasions.  But never customs fees."

Anything you bought previously that cost $20 Cdn or more could have been subject to import fees. CBSA was just lax in collecting it, and usually only on items > $80+.  I too had rarely been hit - only on items $200 plus.

I would rather take my chance with CBSA than GSP, except in cases where Final Price (including all GSP fees) is still reasonable and there is a greater likelihood I will end up paying import fees even if not using GSP. So far, those conditions have not been met for me.

"But still can't exclude those who include the customs fee."

Correct in that there is no search filter. Unfortunately, we have read more, and this really slows down searching.

Message 4 of 4
latest reply