Is this FB Extortion?

shoplineca
Community Member
In a different thread, I posted how I anticipated getting a neg from a Buyer and I did in fact get the neg. In turn, I left him a neg.

I then emailed the buyer and said that eBay had a mechanism for mutual withdrawl if he was interested in participating.

I received the following from him this morning: "I would be more than happy to withdraw my feedback if you would offer a refund, less of course a resonable handling and restocking fee."

I realize that most cases of FB extortion occur before FB has been left however this has the same effect, he will agree to mutual withdrawl ONLY IF I agree to his conditions and that seems like extortion.

Any comments if I should report this to eBay for FB Extortion, if I should ignore him, or if I should go for mutual w/d and accept the merchandise back (nothing wrong with it) less a handling fee?

Malcolm
Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

Is this FB Extortion?

type feedback extortion under help system. You can send in the email etc, but quoting:
"Feedback extortion does not qualify for feedback removal"

so ebay won't remove it.

Play hardball with this one. Two choices.

1)Threaten to sue ( buyer is in Canada ), file for mutual removal. After that, I would report him to get him NARU.

2) What is a "resonable handling and restocking fee"?
If not too high, take the hit. Get the merchandise back. Remove the feedback. Then report the buyer.

Angelo
Message 2 of 6
latest reply

Is this FB Extortion?

shoplineca
Community Member
Great idea about 1st getting merchandise back, then neg removed and then reporting him for FB extortion.

eBay probably wont do anything about the extortion though. They are pretty sticky on this one and usually want more serious threats than the one given however if there is a chance they will consider it as a strike against him it might be worth it.

Malcolm

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Is this FB Extortion?

auctiondropnship
Community Member
No get the feedback removed then offer the refund , Once he has the money back he will walk away ./....I will bet on it
Auction Drop N Ship
Drop It, Sell It, Ship It

Canada's Ebay Drop Off Store
Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Is this FB Extortion?

shoplineca
Community Member
The guy is nuts and I am not going to even bother going for mutual withdrawl anymore.

He is sending me a couple of emails every day. Now he is asking what the warranty policy is and is suggesting that there is a problem with the instrument.

I have seen this before, this is where the people actually take apart the instrument and loosen a wire if electrical to get you to take it back.

I had someone else tell me that the violin we sold them was severely chipped and cratched and they wanted their money back. That was until I told them we took pics of the instrument before shipping it to them and there were no scratches or chips. (This is an instrument shipped inside of a hard shell case, impossible to chip or scratch)

I blocked him from sending any more emails and have blocked him as a bidder and will accept his neg as being there to stay and move on (after reporting him to eBay for FB extortion).

Malcolm
Message 5 of 6
latest reply

Is this FB Extortion?

**niko***
Community Member
He's a whacko. I wouldnt have anymore to do with him. Your feedback left is remarkably restrained considering.

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 6 of 6
latest reply