Item broken by GSP and I can't get anyone to refund my money. Shipped from US to Canada.

caskers79
Community Member

I purchased an item from a US seller and they shipped it via GSP to me in Canada. It arrived broken. I want if nothing else at least my shipping costs refunded but I can't seem to find the proper person/company to accomplish that. Does anyone know how I need to proceed?  I contacted the seller and they are unwilling to do anything as when I described how the item was packaged for shipping they said they didn't do it like that, so it is GSP's fault. 

It is sad as this was a Christmas gift for my daughter and it isn't the type of thing that can just be picked up at a local store. This has caused so much frustration for me that I have quit purchasing from US sellers altogether and have even barely bought anything from within Canada as I feel like eBay is not living up to their responsibilities. 

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction. 

Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Item broken by GSP and I can't get anyone to refund my money. Shipped from US to Canada.

It is your seller's responsibility, because she sub-contracted to GSP to deliver the item to you. GSP is responsible to her.

So.

File the Not As Described dispute. The link is in the top right hand corner of this page under Community Support.

You will be required to return the item to the seller with Delivery Confirmation. This is Expedited or ExpressPost and not cheap. You will not be refunded the return postage. Mark the package as Returned Merchandise and include a copy of the original invoice . (Print it out from eBay.)

You may recieve two separate refunds, one from the seller for the shipping and selling prices, the other from Pitney Bowes/GPS for the tax, duty and their fees. Or not. There haven\t been enough reports of how this will shape out.

About the damage. PB includes a note with eBay's logo if they open a package. If that was not included, then the actual problem was in fact the seller's poor packaging.

You have 45 days from purchase to file an Dispute.

You have 60 days to leave feedback.

At that time you will also be asked to leave Detailed Seller Ratings. Normally, this would be Five Stars. However, the lowest mark is ONE Star. (No stars is a free pass.)

Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Hi caskers79. 

First off, sorry to hear that your item arrived broken (especially as it was a gift ....).

Please do report the item as arriving damaged. With the Global Shipping Program, once the item arrives at the US Shipping Center, it is the responsibility of eBay and Pitney Bowes to take it from there. If an item is lost or damaged during the international leg a buyer is covered by Buyer Protections just as they are in a non-GSP transaction. 

Once the case is reported everything should happen automatically, including all refunds. As stated in the Buyer Terms & Conditions eBay/Pitney Bowes are typically responsible for refunds if the damage occurs during the international leg.  http://pages.ebay.com/shipping/globalshipping/buyer-tnc.html

One more note -- at this time the GSP does NOT facilitate returns. Nor are they typically required in order to obtain your refund. And again, once you report this transaction everything should happen automatically.

Hope this helps. 

---Ben

Message 3 of 4
latest reply

This happened to me -- my item was sent to me from the USA to Canada using the Global Shipping Program, and it was damaged by the GSP employees during their shipping process. 

I filed a claim with Ebay and Paypal, and won the dispute (which was expected, as Pitney Bowes was completely in the wrong for their poor "re-packaging" job with the boxes and materials the seller originally shipped the fragile item in). I got a full refund of my $700 back (it was an expensive antique item). 

So what you have to do is raise a claim with Ebay and Paypal, and request that the refund come from Pitney Bowes, who is at fault here (however, if the seller gets tagged with the refund instead, then I guess too bad for them. They should have known better than to use the GSP, which frequently damages parcels). 

Message 4 of 4
latest reply