Item stolen out of mailbox...

sharkgun
Community Member

Hey all, I ordered a small but expensive item recently. The sale whent through smoothly, and it was shipped out and everything seemed to be going well for once with the global shipping program. The day my package arrives, and the tracking claims it was sucessfully delivered to me, someone broke into the mailboxes on our strip and stole everything. I never actually recieved it or could check that it had arrived, and its missing now. Canada Post claims the seller should re imburse me, but he did his part, and his insurance only covered it to kentucky, and im told Pitney Bowes didnt put insurance on my item, and since it was "successfully delivered" its not their fault, als because the seller provided shipping and trackign information (to kentucky), paypal refused to do anything. Is there anythign I can do? As per usual, everyone and everything points me a different direction. Im done with the GSP. Ive never had a smooth transaction with it and its frusterating.

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

The item was delivered to you.  You need to look at ways to prevent future thefts of your personal property. Consider a secured mailbox.

IF the item was over $750 US, then it would have needed a signature from you.

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

1) if expensive, make sure you've filed a police report with details -- sometimes stolen property is recovered

2) who is responsible for your mailbox security?  You, Canada Post or someone else?

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

I'd consider making a claim with your insurance company.

It's not the seller's fault. Nor Canada Post. Nor Pitney Bowes.

It was a crime.

This is why we carry householder or tenant's insurance.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

Its not something I could make more secure, its a community mailbox, where everyone has a slot. Im adding a picture to clarify. 

I feel like Canada Post should be liable because those boxes are CP property, Im just pretty well done with ebay because everytime a problem comes up, everyone points me different directions.

These are the mailboxes that were broken into. 

1canada_post-3.jpg

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

If Canada Post are aware that the boxes were broken into and there is proof that the item was delivered to your community mailbox, I would think that CP should take responsibility. Have you contacted the Canada Post ombudsman?

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/aboutus/ombudsman/default.jsf?LOCALE=en

Message 6 of 6
latest reply