Just something I found interesting!

I went to the mall today to buy a carabiner watch to take to the beach (I am going to visit my daughter in Cozumel Mexico where she teaches scuba diving). I was in a retail store ... found what I wanted .... the price tag said $130 which is the price quoted on the maker's website. I asked if it was on sale ... can't hurt to ask ... and she said no but she would give me a better price. She proceeded to take 20% off so the watch was now $101.50. So then I asked if there was a better discount for cash ... and she took another 7%. The watch ended up costing $110 with tax instead of $148.28!! I have never asked for a discount in a retail store before but I sure will from now on.
Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

katiusciav
Community Member
nancy-yup!! there's always room for negotation, and it never hurts to ask. many times, people feel that the price is fixed, and can, at times, miss out on super discounts! thanks for sharing...it'll remind me next time i'm out to do a bit of haggling!
Kat
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

sunshine2426
Community Member
I love to bargain! It always makes me feel better when I know I'm saving a little :)My hubby hates it and walks away, lol.
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
I'm with your hubby, I hate that too. It's one thing in a flea market or somewhere bartering is acceptable but certainly not the local grocery store or shopping mall for example. I was in line behind some woman berating this poor cashier about a loaf of bread.

The customer picked the loaf with that date and started freaking at this poor kid because it's expiry date was the next day and she wanted it for cheaper. Well heck lady, pick a different loaf of bread! I felt so bad for this kid. She doesn't have the authority to change the price of the item. She tried explaining that to the woman and said maybe find a loaf with a different date on it, you could put it back if there are none. Nothing doing! This woman yelled until a manager came over and they took off some piddly little amount of money. Can't remember how much but I thought jeeze! It just teaches these people to scream and they get what they want whether they're right or wrong.

I'm sorry but I just cringe at that sort of thing. Many stores are just not the place for that. I find it insulting when people ask, even as a fellow customer. It's one thing if the clerk volunteers and says here's what I can do for you but another altogether to ask or demand a discount. I just don't like that. 😞

I saw someone do this at a Fruits & Passions store. She asked how much item A was and then said she wanted 2 but only if she could get them cheaper. And she started to get loud when the clerk said that they don't do that. 😮 What makes someone think they're so special that buying 2 is going to make the price cheaper than the next person buying 2? I don't get that. 2 cases of something, maybe but even then.

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 4 of 8
latest reply

Just to clarify ... I did not yell or get loud. I simply asked politely if perhaps it was on sale. She said no it was not on sale but then proceeded to take off 20% ... and then when I politely asked if there was something she could do for cash ... she took off the rest. If she had originally said the item was not on sale, I would have gladly paid the full price.
I sell at antique shows and know what it is like to be harassed by a customer wanting more than the discount I already offered. They can get loud and obnoxious. I simply say that the item is no longer for sale at any price to them. They usually walk away and come back later with the price I wanted in hand. If they don't come back, I am just as happy to not have to deal with them again!
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

alero0
Community Member
I wouldn't haggle over a loaf of bread or a small ticket item but some larger retail stores do authorize their employees to give discounts. If it was a large ticket item I would ask if they can do better, especially if I'd offer to pay cash because paying with credit cards does cost the store more in fees. I would not go so far as to argue about it. If they give a discount, great, if not it'll be my choice to buy it or just walk away. When buying a car I'd defiantly haggle. A car salesman would jump up and down with joy if someone came in and paid the sticker price.
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
You didn't need to clarify, I understood what you meant. 🙂 I didn't think you yelled or anything like that. I was just relating a couple of things I've seen that I didn't like while I've been out shopping.

It's hard working shows like that. Good for you for sticking to your guns dealing with nasty customers like that. I've done stuff like that too. I have some truly rare, not just touted as rare, items that I occasionally list. I get insult offers of $50, $70 or less. ffffttt I'd rather burn it than sell it for that. At least I get the pleasure of seeing the pretty colors in the flames. LOL :-p

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

katiusciav
Community Member
i hate when ebayers email me offering me a low buy it now price...i just hate it!! i hate saying no to people, for one thing, but if i wanted a buy it now on it, i'd have one. usually, when someone offers, it just makes me realize that my item is probably worth alot more than they're offering, which usually ends up to be the case. i had one cx, email me over three times after i said no to his offer THREE times...jeeeeeez!!!!!!
Kat
Message 8 of 8
latest reply