LISTING DESIGNER- Paying for a SERVICE that eBay isn't uniformly providing?

lina-mallows
Community Member
eBay Listing Designer

Anyone still opt to use eBay's Listing Designer?
Does the placement of a PHOTO affect the auction's outcome?

I like to have control over where the PICTURE is placed- mostly at the TOP, or at the side for MULTIPLE ITEM/CHOICE auctions.

I admit, though I can write some HTML, I am lazy. I opt to use, AND PAY FOR, eBay's listing designer.

NOW- when I look at the NEW format- THERE ARE NO item PICTURES- beyond the UPPER left corner!

So, why are some of us paying for SPECIFIC PHOTO placement, when eBay IS NOT delivering this seller PAID FOR FEATURE to all possible buyers?
Message 1 of 9
latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

momoftwingles2
Community Member
lina,

I use Seller Source Book as do many other sellers on this list. You can pay a monthly fee or a yearly fee and have more than a thousand templates at your fingertips AND have control over your pics WITHIN the body of your listing!

I'm not sure what eBay's Listing Designer costs, but I know that using Seller Source Book you can put multiple pics within your listing and you don't have to pay eBay!

It's well worth looking in to.

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 2 of 9
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
momoftwingles2 - I am familiar with the subscription format concept for templates. And, there are some great ones out there.
I just never felt it was worth the money for the few listing we put up on eBay.

eBay charges a flat rate of 10¢, for one or both. of the following, picture placement, and a BORDER/FRAME

I went to the Account Status page, and did a search for JULY1-31st. Our total payment for this eBay LISTING DESIGNER service was C$6.79.

Now, knowing that it does not guarantee what it supposed to- I will drop the expense, and add additional HTML design details.
Message 3 of 9
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi lina,

Seller Source Book charges $8.00/month or $21.00/quarterly or $70.00/year which works out to be $5.83 per month.

And, must tell you that they have some great templates for coffee!

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 4 of 9
latest reply

faerywishes
Community Member
I totally agree Susan.
I Love Seller Source Book, they have awesome templates. I just spend the whole day cleaning up all my Jolee's, UGH!
But I must say they look much better.

Lina you can use Activia for free templates and also have several photo's. You can also list directly from them. I don't like their templates as much, but they do have a few that are quite nice. If I remember correctly they also have the side view for photo's in some of their templates.

I have s store with them at no cost and didn't realize until a couple of months ago that I get people coming from there to in here.

I really like their storefronts and again no charge. You can pay for subscriptions for a fee for listing and I have used it in the past and it was pretty user friendly.

I can't figure out why Ebay can't offer these things. Why we can't get better listing templates or storefronts for free.

Colleen
Message 5 of 9
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
faerywishes- not using the FREE stuff, basically It comes down to being lazy.
We use a MAC, and until we updated, many of the programs out there just weren't MAC friendly.

Also- we have stayed away from THRID party providers, like ACTIVA, and VENDIO.

eBay is starting to grumble about some of these third party providers.

As you point out- there can be some redirection of traffic. How long do you think eBay will permit this to go on, before they plug that hole- Just like they've done to every other link, e-mail, or other method to get the customer OFF eBay?
Message 6 of 9
latest reply

How long do you think eBay will permit this to go on

eBay has no control over this. Currently they provide API, but even if they did not, no website has way of knowing if the HTTP session is a human or a bot.

If eBay tries to cut off 3-rd party provider, they will only hurt themselves, because software is not eBay strong point and most volume sellers use some kind of 3-rd party tools to run their gig.
Message 7 of 9
latest reply

eBay is starting to grumble about some of these third party providers.

Huh? The only thing eBay has a problem with is third-party checkout systems. This has nothing to do with providers such as Auctiva or Vendio etc.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 8 of 9
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
dipmicro- you wrote "If eBay tries to cut off 3-rd party provider, they will only hurt themselves...."

As if spends all its time trying to find ways to IMPROVE itself?

I can see the day when anything provided outside of eBay's services will not be permitted.
Just take a look at the NEW pictures eBay will be using for their category headers.
REMEMBER when eBay moved to STOCK photos- and PREWRITTEN descriptions for media?
And, the removal of the ability (of a seller) to leave NEUTRAL/NEGATIVE feedback?

eBay is seeking to control as many aspects as possible of the 'eBay experience".

When eBay starts dictating item descriptions/photos, ability to leave specific feedback, accept payments by a specific means- how far behind can the elimination of THIRD PARTY providers be ?????
Message 9 of 9
latest reply