LOOPHOLE :watch out all buyers!

Make sure you ask your buyer to put a note for delivery compagny that a signature from buyer is REQUIRED. Add that note in shipping box. Otherwise, delivery compagny can just leave package at your door and it could be stolen. That's what happened to me.  

Paypall said that the item was delivered (true) and that the seller could prove it so nothing could be done with Paypall. The seller (cbnailstore-428) said that they don't require signature if item is below $200 and that if you want signature , you have to request it (First you have to know that's what they do and nowhere is it written).

In any case, I paid $120 for nail polish and never received the package.

Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Report the loss to your local Post Office.(Not the posltal outlet in the drugstore). The postmaster will want to track this in case there is a continuing problem, either with the delivery contractor, or with the neighbourhood in general.

Signature Confirmation is an additional expense and is only required by Paypal on shipments over $250 including S&H. If you want SC, be prepared to pay for it.

You can ask the Post Office not to drop packages, but instead to leave Delivery Notices. This will mean that you will be picking up your package at the local postal outlet. When the package was left on your doorstep, the delivery person also made the decision not to collect taxes and service fee. If you pickup your parcel the clerk will charge you those fees.

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

@femmefan1946 wrote:

When the package was left on your doorstep, the delivery person also made the decision not to collect taxes and service fee. If you pickup your parcel the clerk will charge you those fees.

Only if customs marked it as COD. In that case, it's obvious it passed through customs without notice. The delivery person didn't make that decision Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 17
latest reply

This makes me very nervous.

Once in while I receive an item which was meant for someone else, so I know that mistakes happen.

Recently ebay changed its rules so that signature is required for items over about $600 (or was it $650?).

This is one of the first cases I've heard of where this can go wrong for a buyer.

I'm at a loss to understand eBay Buyer Protection now.

Did you try opening a case with paypal?

Also, if you pay via credit card through paypal does that mean that we're covered for this type of thing?

This worries me because it means that buyers have to insist on having items shipping via signature confirmation for protection....... BUT who does that?

No one!

Message 4 of 17
latest reply

Ooops.............. I just saw that you did open the case with paypal and not ebay.

When they made the change I thought that maybe paypal would cover buyers for this kind of thing since ebay was no longer protecting buyers.

Does anyone know if paying through credit card funds via paypal offers buyer's some kind of protection?

Message 5 of 17
latest reply

No, the credit cards have the same rules.  If the delivery guy says it's delivered, it's delivered.

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

@i*m-still-here wrote:

This makes me very nervous.

Once in while I receive an item which was meant for someone else, so I know that mistakes happen.

Recently ebay changed its rules so that signature is required for items over about $600 (or was it $650?).

This is one of the first cases I've heard of where this can go wrong for a buyer.

I'm at a loss to understand eBay Buyer Protection now.

Did you try opening a case with paypal?

Also, if you pay via credit card through paypal does that mean that we're covered for this type of thing?

This worries me because it means that buyers have to insist on having items shipping via signature confirmation for protection....... BUT who does that?

No one!

This has nothing to do with ebay changing the amount for signature required.

As always, ebay and paypal protect a buyer when they say they have not received an item and there is not proof that they have received it.  When delivery confirmation shows that the item has been received, neither paypal or ebay can force the seller to refund them.  Mistakes do happen but in a situation like that, the seller should work with the buyer to see if the parcel can be found.

Things like this do happen..but not often. So to say that buyers should now insist on signature confirmation doesn't seem reasonable to me. You are always saying that you buy on ebay often...how many packages have you not received when delivery confirmation showed that you had received it?  I'm guessing zero....so why worry about something that 'might' happen?

Message 7 of 17
latest reply

@i*m-still-here wrote:

Ooops.............. I just saw that you did open the case with paypal and not ebay.

When they made the change I thought that maybe paypal would cover buyers for this kind of thing since ebay was no longer protecting buyers.

Does anyone know if paying through credit card funds via paypal offers buyer's some kind of protection?

ebay is no longer protecting buyers???

Message 8 of 17
latest reply

I'm still not sure why impossible............. Wasn't covered by ebay buyer protection.

I always thought that if the buyer did not receive an item that the buyer could file a case and win,............. end of story.

In fact, Paypal told me that if the tracking shows that an item was delivered and the buyer says it was not, then the buyer would get a refund unless of course there is signature confirmation in which case the buyer would lose.

That makes sense to me because I know that I have items delivered to me which are addressed to someone else, and so I'm acutely aware that my stuff could be delivered to someone else as well or someone could steal something from my door as happened to the OP.

It used to be that signature was required for items under around $200 but that was raised to $600 (or so) recently.

I've never had a big problem, but I've just bought some higher priced pieces and I'd like to be sure I'm covered for these and that's why the topic caught my attention.

It just seems to me that eBay's buyer protection policies are no longer clear.

If I have a $550 item shipped to me with tracking but no signature confirmation, then it sounds like I'm out of luck if the item is delivered to my neighbor or stolen at my door.

I'm not sure any longer with all of the recent changes one on top of the other.............. as buyer or seller.

I'm also aware that paying with credit card affords buyer added protection but just what that is I'm not sure of either.

Message 9 of 17
latest reply

I've read all the posts.........to me, to avoid ANY of this is to do as femmefan said "You can ask the Post Office not to drop packages, but instead to leave Delivery Notices. This will mean that you will be picking up your package at the local postal outlet. When the package was left on your doorstep.

I live in an apartment building, so don't have that problem, the P.O. calls me and I let them in, if I'm out or don't take the call, they obviously leave a note that day, or the following telling me which P.O. (there are so many around my place) to pick it up at (you have 15 days to pick it up......plus they leave a "Final Notice" if someone forgets, etc.

I am extremely security conscious, even in this old apartment building - used to have quite a few security issues - they have installed a great security system thank goodness.  Having been robbed in the past (while sleeping I may add), security is a HUGE issue with me.

Long story I know........but even if I lived in a house and there was even a HINT that any parcel would be left at my doorstep - NO WAY would I even consider that - period.  Too bad I've had to become SO security conscious, but my robbery was very traumatic and it's just too bad I have to live like this.

Message 10 of 17
latest reply

I always thought that if the buyer did not receive an item that the buyer could file a case and win,............. end of story.

If that was the case, what would be the point of having delivery confirmation? Both ebay and Paypal are quite clear that a seller will lose an inr if the item shows as delivered.

As a seller, do you want a buyer to be able to get their money back for an inr even if the parcel shows as delivered?

In fact, Paypal told me that if the tracking shows that an item was delivered and the buyer says it was not, then the buyer would get a refund unless of course there is signature confirmation in which case the buyer would lose.

That is only true if the item is over $250 U.S.

So if you do not receive an item over $250 even though it shows as delivered...then file with Paypal.

Message 11 of 17
latest reply

They recently raised the amount from $250 to $600 and that's thowing me off.

Good for sellers, but for buyers .............. not so much.

I just purchased a couple of items in that range and I'm a little unsure about shipping as a result now.

Message 12 of 17
latest reply

$750, not $600

http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/seller-protection.html

If a buyer claims an item hasn't been received

For eligible item not received cases, you're protected from losing a case if you ship within your stated handling time and provide tracking information before you or the buyer asks eBay to make a final decision. To be protected, the tracking information will need to show proof of delivery from a shipping company that clearly displays:

1. The delivery status of the item as "delivered"
  2. The date of delivery (which reflects that you shipped within the stated handling time)
  3. The recipient's address, displaying at least the city/state or ZIP code (or the equivalent) of the address listed in either the eBay Order details page or the PayPal Transaction Details page, and
  4. For items $750 (or local currency equivalent) or more (based on the total amount of the sale, including the cost of the item, shipping charged by you, any other fees you may charge, and any sales tax), proof of the recipient's signature to confirm delivery is required where such signature confirmation service is available from at least one shipping company. Note: for PayPal Buyer Protection cases, items costing $250 or more require proof of the recipient's signature.
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

Paypal told me that if the tracking shows that an item was delivered and the buyer says it was not, then the buyer would get a refund unless of course there is signature confirmation in which case the buyer would lose.

I'm guessing that was some random clerk on the phone and not the head of Paypal's legal division. Don't ever assume that a nameless voice knows what it is talking about.

Or for that matter, free advice from online posters. I myself am a six foot tall naturally blond ethnic Chinese whose mother tongue is Swahili living in Ecuador.  (Can you prove I am not? )

Paypal accepts Delivery Confirmation (not tracking) and Signature Confirmation (for higher value items-- $600 really? wow.) as proof of delivery. No DC/SC, the seller has to depend on her own insurance service to protect her from losses. Which is why I have been promoting both self-insurance (adding a tiny premium to every sale as a premium) or third party insurance (shipinsurance, which seems to have a good reputation here, or Hugh Wood International, which I use as does the American Philatelic Society). As a seller, I firmly believe in these cases it is best not to get Paypal and eBay involved. Buyers may have a different take on this, especially if they run into some skank.

Message 14 of 17
latest reply

@i*m-still-here wrote:

They recently raised the amount from $250 to $600 and that's thowing me off.

Good for sellers, but for buyers .............. not so much.

I just purchased a couple of items in that range and I'm a little unsure about shipping as a result now.

The raised the amount to $750 for ebay buyer's protection. Paypal is still $250 U.S. which is why I said you could file through Paypal.

The last time we discussed this same thing, you said that when you purchased an item on .com you were able to file a claim through paypal and that you didn't have to go through ebay so IF that is correct and you want to file an inr for an expensive item, go through paypal.

Message 15 of 17
latest reply

Things got hazy for a short time as I was assimilating the jump from $250 to $750 (or whatever that # is.).

That, and the original post about having an item go missing like that and knowing that I get items meant for others now and then..........

Which of course means that mine can get delivered to someone else by mistake as well.............. works both way.

Thanks for helping me get focused again.

Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Which of course means that mine can get delivered to someone else by mistake as well.............. works both way.

Right, that has always been possible. The change in the signature requirement doesn't mean it is more likely to happen but yes, it might hurt more if the item is $500 vs $250.  I do think that most sellers will still send an expensive item with sig confirmation regardless of the rules. I know I would. But...even then its possible that the parcel is delivered to the wrong address and that someone else would sign your name. I guess there are no guarantees that everything will go the way it should,. But it seems that in the majority of cases, things work out.

Message 17 of 17
latest reply