Latest Spoof; I though eBay was better at spelling than this ...

shoplineca
Community Member
These dorks should at least learn how to spell before sending their "VERY INPORTANT MESURE" meassages if they want to be taken seriously.

Here is the latest text from my "EBAY TEAM":
"Hello we are from Ebay security and we are wanting to detect all inactive users please go to the link down and take the process and verify Thank You!! Ebay Team the link is: http://81.213.198.129/eb/"

Duh, do you think I should follow these inportant mesures and follow their link?

I forwarded the email to spoof@ebay however the last time I sent them one, I did not receive any acknowledgement back from eBay so we shall see what happens. PayPal always responds.

Malcolm

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

ospreylinks
Community Member
I always forward the hoax's on to Ebay and always get a response.

Jeff
Message 2 of 14
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
I really dont know what the heck is going on with eBay as I very seldom get any response when I email them, even through their links.

IN the case of spoof@ebay, out of perhaps 5 sent, I have received only 1 canned response, completely contrary to the excellent and timely responses from PayPal where I have easily forwarded over 40 spoofs and received 40 immeduiate responses and at least 35 follow-up responses.

Malcolm
Message 3 of 14
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
Here's is the newest spoof, just received, bad spelling and all. I have removed the link so no one makes a mistake and tries it and I have reported it to spoof@ebay. I will let you know if I get any response from eBay.

Dear eBay user,

As stated in the User Agreement, Section 41.1, we may send you this email.
After the multiple frauds registered lately, our company has initiated a study regarding this problem. In this study the company has reached the conclusion that most of the frauds were possible because of the low email service security level .
For a best deployment of our further activities (the frauds prevention) our company has decided to ceck your identity for fraud protection .
Hoping you have understood that we are doing all these for your own safety and for the good deployment of the relations between our company and its parteners we suggest you to acces the following form to verify your eBay account:
LINK PURPOSELY REMOVED

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Regards, Security eBay (Security Department)
eBay Inc
Thank you for using eBay!
LINK PURPOSELY REMOVED

The eBay logo was in the top right corner of the email.
Malcolm
Message 4 of 14
latest reply

muminlaw
Community Member
Hoping you have understood that we are doing all these for your own safety and for the good deployment of the relations

Is that just another way of saying "This will hurt you more than it will hurt us!"?????

Glenda
Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
I wonder what is "low email security level"?
I guess I will have to ask my "parteners".

Malcolm
Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Malcolm, I think you will have to ceck your parteners deployment acces before you go any further here.

Seriously, judging by the number of buyer questions I get from users who do not read the auction description properly, if at all, I suspect these scammers catch lots of naive people who just skim their emails. Scary.
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
OK
I must be on the spoof hit list because here is email number 3 in about as many days. I just received the following email today:

"***Urgent Safeharbor Department Notice***

eBay Fraud Mediation Request
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 2004

You have recieved this email because you or someone had used your account to make fake bids at eBay. For security purposes, we are required to open an investigation into this matter.

THE FRAUD ALERT ID CODE CONTAINED IN THIS MESSAGE WILL BE ATTACHED IN OUR FRAUD MEDIATION REQUEST FORM, IN ORDER TO VERIFY YOUR EBAY ACCOUNT REGISTRATION INFORMATIONS.

Fraud Alert ID CODE: 00937614
(Please save this Fraud Alert ID Code for your reference.)

To help speed up this process, please access the following form to complete the verification of your eBay account registration informations:

LINK PURPOSELY REMOVED.

Please Note:
If we do not receive the appropriate eBay account verification within 48 hours, then we will assume this eBay account is fraudulent and will be suspended.
The purpose of this verification is to ensure that your eBay account has not been fraudulently used and to combat the fraud from our community.

We appreciate your support and understanding, as we work together to keep eBay a safe place to trade.

Thank you for your patience in this matter.

Regards, Safeharbor Department (Trust and Safety Department)
eBay Inc.

Please do not reply to this e-mail as this is only a notification. Mail sent to this address cannot be answered.

Copyright © 2004 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved. Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners. eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc. eBay is located at 2145 Hamilton Avenue, San Jose, CA 95125."

So once again, I have forwarded the email to spoof@ebay.com and will see if I get any response from them.

Malcolm
Message 8 of 14
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
So since July 26th, I have sent 3 different, and brand new eBay spoofs to spoof@ebay with the last one sent 2-days ago and I have NOT received any response from eBay.

They have not confirmed that they were spoofs nor denied that they were spoofs.

So what'e the deal? Does that mean its ok to copyright their logos and use them to try to steal members user id, and other vital information?

I hope that PayPal doesnt adopt eBay's lax attitude over such criminal activities.

Malcolm

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
On the US, PS Board, a couple of the same spoof emails were sent to PSers who forwarded them off to spoof@ebay and they all received responses from eBay.

What's up eBay?

Malcolm

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

ospreylinks
Community Member
Malcolm, I forward all spoof's and I always receive a response as well, usually within an hour.

Jeff
Message 11 of 14
latest reply

muminlaw
Community Member
Just got another new one! At least they're trying to correct their spelling and syntax errors -- they probably read these boards and find out where the errors are. I rather like the "pre-indefinitely suspended ..." I reported it to eBay and in fifteen minutes I had a "no we didn't send it" reply ... Malcolm you are obviously on their "DO NOT ANSWER" list! Glenda

Hello muminlaw, place or change your account information on file

muminlaw, eBay needs a correct information from you.

eBay requires correct credit card information in full each month on accounts with balances of $1.00 or greater and if your account becomes past due. We are unable to verify or authenticate your credit/debit card information on file with us. You have been pre-indefinitely suspended from eBay because credit cards information incorrect (credit card number, pin, expdate or cvv2 code). If you feel you have been suspended in error or want to appeal this decision by providing additional information, we offer you the ability to place or change the information you submit to us.
Important: In order to continue buying and selling, you must have a valid account information on file at eBay. Please update information in your eBay account now by click here and entering the new information yourself in your account. Or click to this link below :

LINK REMOVED

Per the User Agreement, Section 9, we may immediately issue a warning, temporarily suspend, indefinitely suspend or terminate your membership and refuse to provide our services to you if we believe that your actions may cause financial loss or legal liability for you, our users or us. We may also take these actions if we are unable to verify or authenticate any information you provide to us. Due to the suspension of this account, please be advised you are prohibited from using eBay in any way. This includes the registering of a new account.

An email regarding this was sent to you at grandjac@shaw.ca.

Regards,

eBay SafeHarbor Team

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
eBay treats your personal information with the utmost care, and our Privacy Policy is designed to protect you and your information. eBay will never ask their users for personal information, such as bank accounts numbers, credit card numbers, pin numbers, passwords, or Social Security numbers in an email. For more information on how to protect your eBay password and your account, please visit User Account Protection.

This eBay notice was sent to grandjac@shaw.ca based on your eBay account preferences and in accordance with our Privacy Policy. To change your notification preferences, please visit click here. If you would like to receive this email in text format, click here.

Copyright © 2003 eBay Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Designated trademarks and brands are the property of their respective owners.
eBay and the eBay logo are trademarks of eBay Inc.

Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Message 12 of 14
latest reply

laplaya29
Community Member
I send lots of spoofs to e-bay and get replies back from each one. It is PayPal who never replies to spoofs, so much so that I have quit sending them any spoofs I get. A waste of time if they are not going to acknowledge and thank me for sending them the spoof.
Message 13 of 14
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
That has to be the absolute worst spelling and gramatically incorrect spoof I have seen todate.

"pre-indefinitely". Is that something like postpartum? or oye como va? What &^*(*/ English translation dictionary are they using?

Jeff,

I cant figure it out. I have NEVER EVER NEVER IN over 1 1/2 YEARS received a stinking response from eBay to what has been over 30 emails I sent except in the very beginning when I received 2 generic computer-generated responses to a simple inquiry.

I have clicked on the links, I have sent them to spoof@ebay.com and to missycutiepiepink@ebay.ca or whomever and NEVER received a response.

I was so totally pi$$ed off with the total lack of response from them I dont care or expect anything from eBay except to be billed every month.

I reported feedback extortion from a buyer who then proceeded to spam me with over 100 vulgar emails a day. eBay NEVER responded to my emails although I had his ISP cut him off for spamming. Now the guy is Narud, 6 months later because he was doing it to some other sellers and I warned them by leaving the guy negative FB and a comment about his FB extortion but I cant get my negative removed because it is now 6 months old and that is against eBay rules.

I asked to have 6-weeks off from counting my sales last spring as I was going on vacation. I sent 5 requests as I never received any response to the first.

eBay claims (I did have a telephone conversation with them) they never received the requests (sent directly and through liks) I was demoted to bronze from silver.
They have NO record of receiving any emails from me directly or by way of clicking on the links.

Jeff, you may remember some of my posts last spring when I was the first to have technical problems on this forum. There was at least 2 threads on technical glitches. I recall you posting some things about it.

This was the same period I was sending request to eBay about vacation time and reporting the FB extortion. Clearly a serious glitch with eBay where I am the one who has a neg I shouldnt have and a demotion.

Now I only list ocassionally and could give a rats a$$ about eBay. I enjoy posting on the US board and sometimes on the Cdn Board and the ocassional sale but I have NEVER gotten any support, any response to any inquiry ever made including those sent to spoof@ebay.com (sorry I received a response about 7 weeks ago from spoof@ebay.com, but noe to the 3 recent ones sent between July 26th and a few days ago).

So I will concentrate on a new business venture later this fall after I complete my Sudbury contract and not waste as much time with trying to build a business on eBay.

I'm not moving away from eBay but I wont put in the same energy or investment as I had originally planned and that is 80% because of eBay and 20% because of CP.

Malcolm

Message 14 of 14
latest reply