Legality of Selling Branded Items.

Hey There,

I have looked into somethings concerning legally selling branded items. I realize Ebay is just a marketplace in their eyes, that provides the "spaces" or people to buy and sell items, what is bought and sold is under full responsibility of the participants and not Ebay.

I am looking to get my selling limit raised, and after doing some research online I've found the majority of people simply cannot do this. Most claim to have no problems, great feedback...etc, which I do as well. I haven't yet called Ebay. But many people from ...

correct? I know I am wrong. 

But how could Ebay be telling these people they can't sell those items, ...

products, and Canada Mint products.....etc. I can't see every convienence store and independent toy ...

listing their items.

I need to find out, because I
plan on selling a lot of cards, they're all real, and old, from collectors...etc, however I just can...

Message 1 of 6
latest reply
5 REPLIES 5

leb17
Community Member

Hi...

Read this:

Guidelines for Creating Legally Compliant Listings

http://pages.ebay.ca/help/sell/compliant-listings.html

Also you should find more information in this:

http://pages.ebay.com/help/community/vero-aboutme.html#sports

Message 2 of 6
latest reply

I don't get it.. used (not fake) belong to you. Can't see that you have an issue.

Message 3 of 6
latest reply

Basically there are two points here.

If you bought it legally, you can dispose of it legally. So in theory you can sell anything you own.

BUT

There are constraints on some items. The easiest to understand would be a handgun. You can, in special circumstances, buy a handgun in Canada. But you can't sell it to some random guy at your next garage sale. That becomes a public safety issue.

Then "branding" comes in here. Some brands do not want their items sold except by their chosen retailers. They have joined with eBay to monitor the sale of their products here. Some are very tense about this, others more relaxed.

Generally, the first rule still holds. You should have no problem selling coins- which belong to the owner not the Mint that produced them. Nor with Pokemon. If you bought it, it is yours.

However, if the product is often counterfieted , like designer purses, cosmetics and perfumes, the brand will monitor sales much more closely, to protect their reputation.

As you get known for selling a product, the brand will relax even more, because they can see that you are treating their reputation well. Which is good for you as well as them,eh?

As to the numbers- if the items you plan to sell will sell too low to make it worth your while, you may be best either to sell them in lots rather than one at a time or to sell them to a card shop. Yes the dollars you get will be less- the shopowner will buy at wholesale- but you will be paid promptly. (The minimum wage in Ontario is 17 cents a minute. Think about that.)

In my opinion, the lowest price you should list anything at is $10.

Message 4 of 6
latest reply

By the way the program you are referring to is VERO. There are several descriptions of the program on eBaydotCOM.

I don't sell anything that fits under the program, so I have never bothered to read them either.

Message 5 of 6
latest reply

scifan57
Community Member
This page explains the VERO program.
Message 6 of 6
latest reply