Listings and Sales Over Christmas

shoplineca
Community Member
I paid eBay a fair amount this December for listing alot of instruments. As my remaining listings come to their 10 day end, I was wondering how many of you keep your listings running past Christmas into the New Year and what your experience has been with post Christmas sales (between Christmas and New Years).

I recall selling right up to Christmas eve last year but then only having about 3 sales between December 25th and December 31st.

I just wonder if I should save the money and let my listing expire and fire them up a couple of days before New Years and save a few dollars and not have to bother answering emails or even bother worrying about shipping out one or two items that might sell.

Malcolm

Message 1 of 8
latest reply
7 REPLIES 7

nan*55
Community Member
In ebayland ,no one can ever be sure:(
Message 2 of 8
latest reply

Most sellers wait for a free listing day. Don't seem to come.

I have noticed the internet, ( newsgroups ) has been quiet lately and sales seem to have slowed down.

But I will continue to list as usual. If you don't have stuff to sell, then it won't sell.

Angelo
Message 3 of 8
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
I guess I look at myself. The last thing I want to do right after Christmas is spend more money.

On the other hand, people may be giving cash for Christmas as gifts so that people can buy what they want.

While Christmas sales are great for my line of products, I dont really have a 'season' for what I sell. Its all a matter of which items to promote when people tend to look for them and I find that the buying trend on eBay is different from the brick and mortar retail store.

Malcolm

Message 4 of 8
latest reply

imagi.nation
Community Member
Don't know if it's the same for Eastern Canada but here on the 'wet coast' some people look forward to going shopping on Boxing Day more than they look forward to Xmas. Many of the big retailers deep-discount stock that hasn't sold and people line up outside the stores from the wee hours of the morning to try to be one of the first through the doors to get the stuff they didn't get for Christmas. I would hazard a wild guess that the climate here might be a little more favorable for this kind of activity. 😉 It certainly will be this year; forecast is for rain on Christmas and clearing up to be sunny again on Boxing Day.

Getting back on topic, last year I found the after-Xmas-pre-New-Year's sales surprisingly good. Seems a lot of people who bought for others before Xmas came back to buy for themselves after Xmas. Like a lot of things on eBay, it all depends on what you're selling.

Cheers,
Ernie.
Message 5 of 8
latest reply

January sales are pretty good in my experience also. The slowest month on E-Bay is August when we should all close the shop and go swimming. 🙂
Message 6 of 8
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
Ernie
Boxing Day on the east side of Canada (Ottawa is too far from the Maritimes to say we are on the east coast) is absolutely wild. Line ups with guards posted at the retail store doors allowing only certain numbers of people in at a time.

But that doesnt translate into eBay shopping. Bad weather to drive in, extremely cold and icy and no big sales offered by retail stores is what keeps people at home on their computers shopping around online.

I will probably start relisting Saturday night and next week add a few new items.

Malcolm
Message 7 of 8
latest reply

muminlaw
Community Member
I put about 30 lots up on Wednesday hoping collectors got (will get) some cash for Christmas to spend on themselves. In most cases, my stuff doesn't sell as gifts - gift-givers don't know what the collector already has. Anyhow, I'm hoping that the collectors will be crusing eBay between Christmas and New Years looking for stuff for themselves!

We'll see ...... Glenda
Glenda

Click here to go to my Store
Message 8 of 8
latest reply