Looking for a suggestion on who I can use for shipping a large box to the USA

Hi There, I am looking for a suggestion on wo to use for a shipping company that ship a large box to the USA at decent price. The box is around 38 inches x 26 x 28 an only weights around 10 lbs, however all shipping company like FEDEX, DHL UPS are coming back with prices are $180.00 to $200.00.Thanks,Christine

Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

I suspect that it would be best to use Canada Post's Expedited Parcel.

I don't really understand the conversion from inches to metric, and Canada Post went metric in 1974 so if you give them any other measurements the answer may be incorrect, but from this:

http://www.canadapost.ca/cpo/mc/assets/pdf/business/custguide_amend2_en.pdf

it looks like it would work.

Delivery Confirmation is included along with $100 insurance.

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

The length + girth is more than 2.74m so its too big for any CP service.

Unfortunately, I don't have any suggestions.

Message 3 of 11
latest reply

You could check your local bus lines. It's a bit old school but we used to use them quite a bit back in the old days and people still use them a fair amount out on the east coast.

No idea on current pricing as it's been quite a while since I used them but it's worth a lok.

Cheers,

thD

Message 4 of 11
latest reply

@boutiquestepup wrote:

Hi There, I am looking for a suggestion on wo to use for a shipping company that ship a large box to the USA at decent price. The box is around 38 inches x 26 x 28 an only weights around 10 lbs, however all shipping company like FEDEX, DHL UPS are coming back with prices are $180.00 to $200.00.Thanks,Christine

Most shipping companies have started to use dimensional weight in their calculations, which means large size light weight parcels pay a premium.  Canada Post uses a calculation that assumes 10 or 12 pounds per cubic foot (depending on service picked).

Your parcel size is 16 cubic feet, at 10 pounds per cubic feet that would give a volumetric weight of 160 pounds vs the actual weight of 10 pounds. And you would be charged at the 160 pound level to ship the parcel.

Alternative 1: if you're located in a city, is to check how much an inter-city bus company (Greyhound for example) charges.

Alternative 2: if you live in the Vancouver area or Toronto area, check to see what BooksToTheBorder or ChitChatsExpress can offer. They can take parcels across the border and ship using USPS.

Alternative 3: can you make the parcel any smaller? The smaller it is, the smaller the volumetric shipping surcharge.

Message 5 of 11
latest reply

Alternative 2: if you live in the Vancouver area or Toronto area, check to see what BooksToTheBorder or ChitChatsExpress can offer. They can take parcels across the border and ship using USPS.

It's too big for USPS!

In fact it's really too big to even think about shipping to anywhere at least not at any sort of reasonable cost.

I have a similar item that's probably worth at least $500 but it's impossible to ship or at least impossible to ship for less than several hundred dollars. End results.......I won't be selling it anytime soon.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

If your item is worth a decent amount and you want to liquidate... Only way unfortunately...GL

Message 7 of 11
latest reply

If you need any help with your unusually odd shaped item just send me a PM.

Message 8 of 11
latest reply

Kagagi?

EBaydotCOM won't let it be mentioned, nor Craigslist, in which eBay holds a lot of stock, but dotCA seems to be more lenient.

Heh. I just noticed I mixed up Kijiji the classified ad site and KAGAGI a Sunday morning superhero cartoon on APTN written and drawn by my friend the very talented Jay Odjick from Maniwaki QC.

If any of your friends or family are aboriginal, or Canadian, or into superhero cartoons, check it out. It's great fun and well drawn.

Message 9 of 11
latest reply

Thanks thD I will look into this option.
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

Thanks for the suggestions I will look into bus service.

Message 11 of 11
latest reply