Lower Paypal Fees - Merchant Account

niko_and_co
Community Member
This thread is for those who do NOT know about the Paypal merchant rate. If you already have it, you don't need to read any further. I have tried to be as accurate as possible, but if I made any errors, I'm sure someone will quickly point them out.

I found a thread on .com about merchant rates for paypal. the requirements are as follows

* paypal member for 90 days or more
* at least $3000US in sales in the last 90 days
* OR have been offered a competitive rate elsewhere
* or be a long standing, high volume seller

for more details
https://www.paypal.com/row/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_fees-rate-about

The catch is that it is NOT done automatically when you reach those goals, you are not even notified of the option as far I know. You must request the merchant rate by

* loggin in
* click on fees at bottom of page
* click on link next to the words "receiving money"
* click on the link "Merchant Rate"
* click on apply for merchant rate

You must maintain $1000US in sales per month or you will go back to the standard rate.

Hope this helps some to cope with fees.
Message 1 of 11
latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

niko_and_co
Community Member
For an update

http://forums.ebay.ca/thread.jsp?forum=7&thread=300009045&modified=1090761725576

Message 2 of 11
latest reply

That information is out-of-date.

Canadian sellers will now need to process over Cdn$ 12,000.01 monthly in PayPal transactions to maintain the 2.20% "merchant account" rate (instead of the US$1,000.00 you quoted).

The Paypal site has the relevant information.
Message 3 of 11
latest reply

Those darn guys.
Message 4 of 11
latest reply

niko_and_co
Community Member
Actually its as of Aug 6th so you can still save for two weeks even if you don't sell $12K, and if you sell over $3K a month, you will still get a better rate than standard after that date.
Message 5 of 11
latest reply

shooger
Community Member
Yes, if you accept between $3000 and $12000 every month consistantly, your PayPal rate will only go up to 2.5% (and 3.5% outside North America). Previously, you had to accept $1000 to get a 2.2% rate.

So, you need to accept at least three times as much money in order to get a worse rate.

Definitely par for the course these days.
Message 6 of 11
latest reply

mahsauction
Community Member
Are these fee changes just for Canadian sellers or do they apply to all Paypal sellers including US sellers?
Message 7 of 11
latest reply

auctiondropnship
Community Member
If you have had an account with paypal for over a year . These rates do not go into effect till 2005
Auction Drop N Ship
Drop It, Sell It, Ship It

Canada's Ebay Drop Off Store
Message 8 of 11
latest reply

shooger
Community Member
"If you have had an account with paypal for over a year . These rates do not go into effect till 2005"

That's incorrect and incomplete information, but the correct and complete information is contained above, so we're all good.
Message 9 of 11
latest reply

auctiondropnship
Community Member
Canadian accounts that are already receiving the current merchant rate as of June 15, 2004 will (through August 6, 2005) be charged no more than 2.2% plus the fixed fee for transactions with Canadian and U.S. buyers
Auction Drop N Ship
Drop It, Sell It, Ship It

Canada's Ebay Drop Off Store
Message 10 of 11
latest reply

twowheelsalvage
Community Member
If you have a merchant account with a lower rate contact them. I'm going to on Monday and see what I can work out.
Message 11 of 11
latest reply