Lower Postage Costs for American eBay Sellers

It has never been easy for Canadians to compete on the American marketplace against domestic (American) sellers.  They have the "home field" advantage!

It will become more difficult as American sellers can now benefit from lower domestic shipping costs:

http://announcements.ebay.com/2014/09/attention-sellers-new-priority-mail-rates-mean-lower-shipping-...

Using eBay labels has always been a great time saver but it can be a great money saver as well. New lower USPS Priority Mail rates went into effect on September 7. eBay has also arranged additional savings for qualified sellers who use eBay labels to pay for postage and print shipping labels.

The new reduced rates offer savings of up to 58% on domestic shipping when qualified sellers use the USPS Savings Program. Discounts will vary across different seller types and postal zones but one thing’s for sure—this rate reduction comes just in time for the busy holiday selling season.

We’re also happy to announce a decrease in the price of our return labels for those sellers using eBay’s hassle-free returns. This is the first time that outbound and return labels have seen a price decrease at the same time, which means good news for both sellers and buyers.

http://pages.ebay.com/usps/USPSsavings.html 

Message 1 of 14
latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Anonymous
Not applicable

I would like to see eBay to have the similar deal with Canada Post.  Why is it always for US sellers all the time? 

I am sure that many of you sellers in Canada would like to have the similar deals to be able to sell our items more and at cheaper postage rates.

Message 2 of 14
latest reply

Would love to ,...So  on note if all 35 million Canadians can have 3 kids right now itwould help with the whole supply and demand thing....

Message 3 of 14
latest reply

@pierrelebel wrote:

It will become more difficult as American sellers can now benefit from lower domestic shipping costs:

Uh-oh.  Just what we Canucks needed, more shipping competition from the US. 

How is USPS doing this -- I thought they were close to being broke?  Or is this their swan song, and eBay is hoping to buy up the USPS next for their own purposes?  EBPS?  Woman LOL

Message 4 of 14
latest reply

@Anonymous wrote:

I would like to see eBay to have the similar deal with Canada Post.  Why is it always for US sellers all the time? 

I am sure that many of you sellers in Canada would like to have the similar deals to be able to sell our items more and at cheaper postage rates.

Two reasons. One, eBay has no clout in Canada. Two, Canada Post has no competition. Couriers? Make me laugh. They hand off to CP as they only deliver in some places. Courier service is poor.

Photobucket
Message 5 of 14
latest reply

Volume does have clout, chitchat has a better deal with CP then we get through ebay.  Even a mickey mouse site like trend trunk passes on a better CP deal then ebay does. Plenty of competition for volume as the walmart types change with what kind of deal they can get(mostly changing away from CP though)

Message 6 of 14
latest reply

Well, the examples you cited were of one buyer buying a lot. eBay sellers, across Canada, are not "one", we are many. eBay sellers, individually, have no clout.

What can eBay do? Go to CP and say "Give us a discount or else!"

"Or else what?"

"Or else we will buy it anyway."

Photobucket
Message 7 of 14
latest reply

Just as I am aboout to come back to sell on eBay.  I managed to sell one item and now this... bad news!  I need to reconsider the Kijiji route.  Canada Post is brutal!  Smiley Sad

Message 8 of 14
latest reply

TT is a marketplace like ebay.  Their sellers ship on their own for $8 flat  (single clothes item so light).  Which is inline with what chitchat provides within Canada with CP (including their take).  Ebay can't get as good a deal they have?  Or ebay keeps too much for itself

Message 9 of 14
latest reply

The single clothes & accessories item does not have to be light.  In a written response from TT, it was confirmed that a fur coat can be shipped for $8.00, and if there is an overcharge, it is absorbed by the company.  Just to clarify, the sellers do not pay the $8.00 shipping fee - it is added to the invoice that the customer receives, and when the buyer pays, Trend Trunk sends a prepaid shipping label to the seller.  Nice and easy, and this is a contracted rate with Canada Post.  It was in place right from the beginning of their business, and if a small Canadian start-up can negotiate this kind of pricing from Canada Post, what is eBay's problem?

Message 10 of 14
latest reply

"what is eBay's problem?"

The problem with eBay.ca is that it does not ship anything by Canada Post and, as such, has no bargaining leverage.

Individual Canadian sellers, spread across the country do, all from different locations, using different post offices or postal counters from franchisees.  In other words, there is no economy of scale available to Canada Post in a deal with eBay.

The question remains the same: why should Canada Post lower its fees when most shippers (eBay sellers) have no access to competitors shipping for less?  What it in it for Canada Post?

Things are different in the USA where many carriers compete effectively with USPS for the same parcel delivery business.

Message 11 of 14
latest reply

If you use Paypal labels you get from 5% to 18% off PO counter prices and have been getting that for some time.

Message 12 of 14
latest reply

5-18%...Americans just got 50% off (on larger items) the discounted rate they already had.  People on the ps board quoting $7.xx for 14 pounds

Message 13 of 14
latest reply

Here is entire picture: http://www.fp-usa.com/september-2014-usps-rate-change/

Decrease affects some heavy short and medium distance priority shipments. Flat boxes rates were slightly increased.

The ebay rates seem very good. For example USPS quotes Priority 1lb to UK for $43.50 and $40.33 commercial rate. Ebay has for the same $39.50 retail and $31.86 gold and silver rate.

Message 14 of 14
latest reply