NEW FLASH !!! Ebay Lays Off or Terminates 1000 Employees Jobs

palms_and_pdas
Community Member
NEW FLASH !!!

Saw on the news today Ebay is laying off or teminating 1000 employees.

The information was on the financial news on CBC

Is this sign of things to come ???

The company is not doing as well as they would lead us to believe.

Sad to say but it is refreshing to see that we are not the only ones affected by the poor markets, low sales and poor internal company performance.

Fitz
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

The market is slow, the USA economy is in bad shape, and eBay has screwed up royally. With "Best Match" they have confused the buyer, have buried listings that were ending to the bottom of the pile, prioritized low priced items that had a higher sell-through, etc. Sellers lost sales because of it and as a result eBay has lost revenues.

Should have listened, but No! They were so confident and sure that they didn't care what the sellers were trying to tell them.

Instead of wasting their time on who and what should be prioritized, they should have concentrated more on fixing their glitches and rendering better customer service.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

jeffglobal
Community Member
gifts_of_elegance, couldn't have said it any better.

The truth hurts, and we continue to suffer thanks to poor decision making out of our control.

Have more to say, but must go back to more revising of existing listings per the new governing rules of the Titanic.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Ebay stock is down to $16.79

We have agonized over DSR ratings, now they can have a taste.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

http://forums.ebay.ca/thread.jspa?threadID=500035899&start=0 .
Quality stamps from Canada, British Commonwealth and Worldwide at Wholesale Prices
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

Eventually eBay will be sold off to some other company as eBay is positioning itself as an internet bank and financing operation. Most likely that will happen after the US economy stabalizes next year, assuming eBay is still alive and kicking...
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

If that is in eBay's plans, then they are making a tremendous blunder in letting eBay sink. Selling price of any business is based on its success, not its failure. As for positioning itself as an internet bank....LOL....if I was not selling on eBay, I would NEVER use PayPal!
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

palms_and_pdas
Community Member
I can't see Paypal becoming an 'Internet Bank'. As they stand now, they claim they are a 'money handling site', not a bank. This is how they have managed to get away with not upholding the regulations the governments have set down for other banks. This statement actually came from a Paypal employee.

By not being regulated as a bank, they can continue to change their policies to fit any situation and rip-off sellers just because a buyer doesn't want the item anymore.

I agree with gifts_of_elegance. If it was not MANDITORY by Ebay, I too would not be using Paypal.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

faerywishes
Community Member
I'm sorry to hear that 1000 employees are being laid off. Must be very scary for them.

Of course the ones responsible for this are not hurting as much as these people.

I have been laid off twice when I worked in the mining industry. After being laid off at 2 mines, I changed careers. Now I'm working for an American company and felt I would be secure. With all that is going on in the US I'm not feeling so secure.

I do not understand all the things that affect the economy, but I'm really really ticked that our dollar has dropped so much, and especially when I feel it is the US that caused it. But on the other hand it makes my job more secure at American Express than the people in the US working for American Express. As well it can help us with Importing to the US, but it still ticks me off.
Message 9 of 10
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Colleen,

I do not understand all the things that affect the economy,

I can tell you in one word.....GREED.

Okay...I'll go a bit further....Republicans are all for deregulation....so they can't be monitored. Well....while the biggie wiggies are making out big time and walking away with 1/2 billion plus in their pockets...it's the working people of companies who are suffering.

Okay.....can you tell I'm glad that George Bush and Dick Cheney are going home? Texas and Wyoming can keep them.

I'm off to Saskatoon now with our girls for a few days! My husband is working nights for the next four nights so we'll celebrate Thanksgiving next Saturday!

Have a great weekend and enjoy your Thanksgiving!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 10 of 10
latest reply