Need Advice

jm3000
Community Member
Hi,

If anyone has any advise on how to handle it, I sure would appreciate it. I sold an item to someone in Germany. He paid paypal (1st mistake) and wanted it shipped to his friend in California. I told him I didn't want to ship to CA, because it wasn't his paypal address. I didn't charge hime much more for shipping to Germany, $4.50 I think. I had a funny feeling about this sale, because of him trying to get me to ship to CA, so I told him if he wanted, I would give him a refund and bail out of the sale. He didn't want to do that, so I shipped the reel to Germany thinking that if I lost out on this one, I'd learn a lesson from it and perhaps not accept paypal for Intl shipping. So he emailed me the other day and said the item was not described correctly, indicating a broken piece, ect. I checked the auction and it is immpossible for me to believe an item I descibed as MINT, with that particular "broken" part in excellent working condition. I just can't believe what he is saying. So I asked him what he thought was a fair price for the item he apparently got, and he sent me auctions he said were similar (which weren't at all) at maybe 10% of the price he paid. I told him to send the item back, I'll give him a refund. He emailed me today and said it'll cost $63 to send it back (cost $12 to get there), so maybe a partial refund is in order. Or he offered me an opportunity to re-list the item and he'd ship it from there (for $63?!?!?). I kind of get the feeling I'm being scammed. Any advice.
Message 1 of 4
latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Need Advice

jm3000
Community Member
UPDATE TO MESSAGE
I wanted to include that his feedback is Intl, so there are certain privacy laws that let me see what he is bidding on, I can't view his feedback, it's "private".
Any others out there in the same boat?
Any advice?
Message 2 of 4
latest reply

Need Advice

your-chic-shopper
Community Member
Ok I would state the following

Did you offer insurance ?? did he purchase it

If not ??

Then I would state

Thanks for your email , the Canada postal service is requesting a clear picture of the damage . They are also asking for your full address and phone # . It is possible that Canada Post is going to contact the German postal inspector to have someone review the picture of the damage and then the item

If you are unable to provide a picture , we would ask you to return the item back to Canada. Once returned a full refund will be given on the item . We also will be happy to pay for the return shipping to the same value shipped too you in Germany . An addtional cost will be covered by you the bidder

Cheers
Todd
Message 3 of 4
latest reply

Need Advice

llee2
Community Member
Just a note about the $63 cost to ship from Germany. I've had a few transactions with German sellers and I know that international postal costs are ridiculously high there. I don't know if this guy is trying to scam you about the actual item, but the postage cost is probably not exaggerated too much.

Lincoln
Message 4 of 4
latest reply