Need advise. What would you do??

ruthsdevildog
Community Member
Recently shipped an item and received an e-mail stating item was damaged. It was an ashtray stand. Packaged very well with lots of peanuts and bubble wrap to protect it during shipping. Client did not accept insurance coverage and auction clearly states if item insurance coverage is not accepted cannot be responsible for loss or damage. My first reply to the client is saying just that, Not responsible for loss or damage since the insurance coverage was not accepted.

Question: If the client leaves a negative do I have any recourse through ebay??
Message 1 of 10
latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Sorry to tell you this, but you will have to write it off. Unless buyer paid with Western Union, cash, Money Order or other irreversible service, insurance coverage is for your protection.

Don't offer insurance coverage decision to buyer, but ask yoursef how much risk are you willing to take. If for example one in 20 parcels is damaged, lost or payment reversed and that's smaller value than the cost of the insured service, than just add those 5% (1/20) to your profit as self-insurance fund.
Message 2 of 10
latest reply

Unless is negligent amount, I always ask to ship it back for refund/reship with my promise to refund also their return shipping cost. Most customers choose to keep alegedly wrong/damaged item and none of them left negative feedback so far.

Btw. you have no recourse if they leave negative.
Message 3 of 10
latest reply

Sorry this happened to you OP. You are responsible. It's been said many times and bares repeating,"Insurance is for the seller, not the buyer" The buyer's insurance is called Paypal/Credit Card which will almost always trump any disclaimer you put in your auction description.
Message 4 of 10
latest reply

Amazing how many sellers still have "not responsible" in their listings. And we're talking "powersellers" here.

Don't they "get it"???

Bernie
Message 5 of 10
latest reply

ruthsdevildog
Community Member
Thanks for your replies. I have offered to work with the buyer towards the cost of repairs if required. It doesn't sound like allot of damage the way they have described it to me. They said they would send a photo of the damage but I have yet to see anything.
Message 6 of 10
latest reply

I think you might have $100.00 included coverage from the post office anyway, depending on how it was shipped. probably worth checking out - the photos will help. good luck!
Message 7 of 10
latest reply

itchy225
Community Member
As long as it was shipped air, you should be covered for the $100. It takes a while but it works. Check back of customs form.
The vibe I get with this buyer is they're not being truthful if they haven't rsvp'd right away.

On the other topic here re: not responsible - I have that in my listing, but it's to discourage fraud, make them think twice about trying it with me.
Message 8 of 10
latest reply

I have that in my listing, but it's to discourage fraud, make them think twice about trying it with me.

Just as a heads up, as a buyer, when I see sellers utilizing disclaimers such as the above, it sends me the message that this particular seller may not step up to the plate if/when there is a missing/damaged parcel. I most likely wouldn't buy from them. Just my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Message 9 of 10
latest reply

itchy225
Community Member
On my used items I am very clear I will offer refund if not satisfied.
I was having a problem after one ebayer left positive feedback after a lost item, and all of a sudden 5-6 people claim lost. this seems to have nipped it the bud, and have done only 2 refunds for lost since.
At the end of the day, I hope buyers are knowledgeable about ebay and paypal, and checking out my feedback if they have concerns.

Point taken ,though.
Message 10 of 10
latest reply