Community Member
For those interested, the new small packet rates for USA effective Jan 17/05:

Ground: <250 $3.95
<500 $5.75
<1kg $8.95

Air: <250 $5.60
<500 $7.50
<1kg $11.75

Interestingly, the biggest increase in price was the middle weight class, while Air 500-1kg jumped up only $0.35

Lincoln
Message 1 of 17
latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

New CP Small Packet Rates (Jan 17/05)

Lincoln,

Where are you finding this information? When I look at the CP website I only find this - no mention of Small Packet changes:

SUMMARY OF CHANGES COMING JANUARY 17, 2005

COMMUNICATIONS BUSINESS

Price and service changes are summarized for the following affected services. Click on the service name for details:

* Domestic Lettermail™ and USA and International Letter-post
* Addressed Admail™
* Business Reply Mail™
* International Business Reply Mail™
* Catalogue Mail™
* Incentive Lettermail™
* Publications Mail™
* Unaddressed Admail™
* AdCard™

Message 2 of 17
latest reply

llee2
Community Member
CP has a habit of not including changes to small packet pricing in their updates. Last year when they increased the small packet prices, they also left it out of the update also. CP groups small packets with lettermail (don't ask me why - I shake my head too), so whenever a price increase goes into effect for US lettermail, you can be assured small packets will go up too.

I called CP today to confirm this, so the info is coming from a CP rep. The prices above were what was quoted to me for Jan 17th. Last year when they increased the small packet prices, they also left it out of the update. You can call their general customer service 1-800 number to get this info but you won't find it on their website. I didn't check the increases for international small packets, but seeing as international lettermail is going up, you can bank on it. If anyone checks the international rates, please post.

Lincoln
Message 3 of 17
latest reply

rd1000
Community Member
That is only about 50% increase in 2 years. Keep up the good work Canada Post!
Message 4 of 17
latest reply

darlg
Community Member

Lincoln
thanks for the information. I was asking at my local post office and could not get any information. Most of my US shipments are in the following range. But the $8.95 is difficult to be competive with US sellers. I am not concerned with the $5.75 level.
<500 $5.75
<1kg $8.95
I will see if I can get any information on the international rates for I have seen in the past month a definite increase in my Overseas selling.
Again thanks for the information!

Dar
Message 5 of 17
latest reply

discountlabelsupplies
Community Member
They should start including boxes like USPS.
Message 6 of 17
latest reply

discountlabelsupplies
Community Member
I hope that USPS Raises the rates. It is becoming difficult to compete with US sellers. As it IS i'm subidizing my shipments
Message 7 of 17
latest reply

darlg
Community Member

Hi

Has anyone been able to obtain what the new small packet rates would be for International?

I have adjusted my US rates already but soon will need to know the International rates.The local post office this morning still has not received the information.

If someone know the rates I would really appreciate an update.

Thanks!!
darlyn
Message 8 of 17
latest reply

llee2
Community Member
Darlyn,

Air
<250 $6.95
<500 $13.40
<1kg $26.25
<2kg $41.00

Ground
<250 $4.95
<500 $6.85
<1kg $11.50
<2kg $16.95

Lincoln
Message 9 of 17
latest reply

darlg
Community Member
Lincoln
Thank you so much for this information.
I will start using it immediately.

Darlyn
Message 10 of 17
latest reply

Ouch!

Those are big increase.

Angelo
Message 11 of 17
latest reply

50% price increase in 2 years. Customer service level the same as before or worse. The mails get there in about the same time. Talk about progress...
Message 12 of 17
latest reply

phoenix_top_drawer
Community Member
Hello all,

Many of our sales rely on decent shipping to the US- price, time and handling.
What is the prevailing wisdom on logical alternatives? We've just started to try UPS. Fed Ex was a disaster because they seem to have neanderthals doing the handling.
Canada Posrt has been good to us and for us in many ways, but the latest price bump means we've got to look for serious alternatives.
Your thoughts?

Here's to a prosperous 05.

Brad
Message 13 of 17
latest reply

llee2
Community Member
Brad,

If you are shipping items via small packet to the US, I don't think you'll find better rates through couriers. Small packets are probably the most economical even with the increase. That's the reason why CP never discounts those rates (and also why they can keep jacking up the prices with little or no concern).

When you compare the CP small packet rates to similar services to USPS and British Royal Mail, yes CP rates are considerably more. And service is slower. But unless you can make the trip to the US on a regular basis, you're pretty much stuck with CP's small packets. And CP knows it.

Lincoln
Message 14 of 17
latest reply

approx. percentage increases in each small weight class....and do these wide variations make ANY sense?

USA SURFACE:
<250 $3.95 = 18% increase
<500 $5.75 = 13% increase
<1kg $8.95 = 5% increase

USA Air:
<250 $5.60 = 11% increase
<500 $7.50 = 12% increase
<1kg $11.75 = 3% increase

INTERNATIONAL Air
<250 $6.95 = 8.5% increase
<500 $13.40 = 10% increase
<1kg $26.25 = 10% increase
<2kg $41.00 = 10% increase

INTERNATIONAL Ground
<250 $4.95 = 18% increase
<500 $6.85 = 10% increase
<1kg $11.50 = 8% increase
<2kg $16.95 = 9% increase

and..they still charge fuel surcharges - unbelievable. 😞 Gail
PS: CP is still a crown corporation isn't it? will calling my local MP and expressing disgust at this price gouging do anything? (wishful thinking on my part of course)
Message 15 of 17
latest reply

shoplineca
Community Member
Your MP can do nothing. Take it to the Ombudsnman for the Post Office. Mind you he will do nothing either.

I posted that all other rates are going up with some in certain zones increasing 29% plus fuel surcharge).

Malcolm
Message 16 of 17
latest reply

Wow - luckily we don't have alot of parcel post items. 29% increase is a heck of alot to ask a buyer to swallow...
PS: I was only kidding about taking it to my MP - I wasn't born yesterday 😉 Gail
Message 17 of 17
latest reply