tea_past_times
Community Member
Good Day!!:^O

From the Medved website:

Ebay Listings May 18th = 14,100,000
Ebay Listings May 25th = 13,750,000
Ebay Listings June 1st = 13,350,000
Ebay Listings June 8th = 13,312,000

Now they may give a 1 cent or 10 cent listing day to hide this shortly, but it is clear that sellers, at least, are not so much in favour of the changes.

Since Ebay derives it's revenue from Sellers, and from the fees their Sellers pay Paypal after the transaction, Ebay's revenues must also show some drop off in the weeks following their new policy implementation.

More bidders? Happier bidders? Could be, but when all the sellers leave, what will people bid on? Shoppers.com items and Chinese stuff?? I doubt it.

Some very experienced and succesful sellers have noted, they have reduced their on Ebay sales by as much as 66% to 95%. The phrase "I'm concentrating on my off Ebay site" has become the new catchphrase.

How long will John Donahoe persist in this disastrous course of action? It is time to admit that the ship is sinking, before the water is up to your neck.

Everyone makes mistakes John, it takes a real leader to admit theirs and reverse course.

John??
Message 1 of 33
latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

New Policy Results Starting to Show

Don't hold your breath for a response - most self-centered authoritarians do not have the b@lls to admit their mistakes.

He will most likely be fired or replaced before any reversals are made (if any at all).
Message 2 of 33
latest reply

for_baby_and_you
Community Member
wow... it is going down fast... so fast... it is scary :_|

Kasha

Message 3 of 33
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
Also, it might indicate that not too many were interested in their "offer free shipping" promo that they substituted for the usual discount day.

So far it seems they can't force a seller to do anything but sell elsewhere.

And if that is what they want, they are getting their wish. Good luck to them with that!!
Message 4 of 33
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
Number of Listings tonight on other online auction sites is:

Message 5 of 33
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
I will continue to watch and shake my head as Ebay moves themselves from THE online auction site to just one of a number of available options.
Message 6 of 33
latest reply

Sellthru statistics - worst in Ebay's history.
No comment.
Message 7 of 33
latest reply

I am one of the

I'm concentrating on my off Ebay site Thanks.

Sukh
(Dream About Comics)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Thanks.

Sukh
(IComic.ca)

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Message 8 of 33
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
Thanks for the graph montrealmaps, so from that we can see that on average most will sell 3-4 out of every 10 items listed.

On all ten you pay a listing fee. Then you Pay a recently doubled fee for the few that do sell. Then you pay to receive your payment and finally you get to pay again to transfer your money to your bank account. Sometimes Paypal makes you pay back the payment to dishonest buyers. And now dishonest buyers can cost you a further 15% FVF on your invoice.

Pay, Pay, Pay, Pay, Receive, Pay Back, Pay More

What's wrong with this business model?

Can you spot the problem with the equation?
Message 9 of 33
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
I took my potatoes to market. I had to pay 15 cents per potato I wished to display, to get in the door. I answered questions about my potatoes all day. For every potato I sold, the market charged me 75 cents, I wasn't allowed to have my own cash register at my market stall, I had to let them ring everything through the market's cash register. For that the market charged me another 75 cents a potato. Some of my customers had come to the market from the USA. They offered US dollars, which I thought would be rude to refuse. I wanted Canadian dollars from the register at the end of the day, but the market manager said he could not give me my money for three weeks. Well I sold 30% of my potatoes and went home to wait. I got a call the next week and found out that one of my customers discovered that my potatoes have skin on them. The customer was not expecting skin, even though it was there when they bought the potatoes. Anyway, the market manager gave the customer their money back.

Oh man!! what a bad dream that was, so nice to be awake again. I think I'll turn on the computer and go over to Ebay. Wait!? AUUUUGGHHHHH!!!!!!!
Message 10 of 33
latest reply

LoL.

Yes, a comparison of eBay's way of doing things versus the way things are done in the "real world" does seem to expose a strange business model.

:)
Message 11 of 33
latest reply

40% of my recent potato buyers are late with the payment or just got their NBP alert - never seen in the past.
Message 12 of 33
latest reply

Forgot about the display - "5% of my customers were not happy with the potatoes". The display is manatory 😉
Message 13 of 33
latest reply

Yes, the Sell Throu rate is heading lower.

On the other hand, listings on the core site (on .com) for the last few months are well above last year.

Quality stamps from Canada, British Commonwealth and Worldwide at Wholesale Prices
Message 14 of 33
latest reply

whoscloset
Community Member
Yes, Pierre...but we are all aware that many of them are UNPAID listings from Buy.com which do not add much to ebay's revenue stream.

Just another "trick the shareholders" move.

Monique

Message 15 of 33
latest reply

Buy.com carries about 520,000 listings. If you substract them from the totals reported by Medved in their charts, you will still see a substantial increase in listings on eBay (without Buy.com).

However, Buy.com very low sell-thru rate (reported on the .com PS board at 5% only) would account for the overall drop in the sell-thru rate reported my Medved.

In other words, from eBay's perspective, the sky is NOT falling. Total listings are UP, total revenues are UP, total sales by sellers are UP and that is the key! Exactly what eBay was looking for. .
Quality stamps from Canada, British Commonwealth and Worldwide at Wholesale Prices
Message 16 of 33
latest reply

"John Donahoe persist in this disastrous course of action"

... and expect John Donahue to be given a bonus by the board of directors (repreenting shareholders) for his good work! .
Message 17 of 33
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
On the other hand, listings on the core site (on .com) for the last few months are well above last year.....

The number of listings may SHOW up year over year, however there are hundreds of thousands of listings on the site at any one time, that have no items in them, and can not be bid on. Place holders, if you like. Hundreds of thousands that we have found that is. How many more placebo listings are more cleverly hidden?
Message 18 of 33
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
.. and expect John Donahue to be given a bonus by the board of directors (repreenting shareholders) for his good work!...

Or maybe Conrad Black will get a new Bridge Partner,
Message 19 of 33
latest reply

tea_past_times
Community Member
June 14th Ebay Listings 13,225,000, still sliding. Look for a promo when it falls below 13,000,000.
Message 20 of 33
latest reply