New To International Shipping

I'm still learning quite a bit as I'm listing more and more items on E-Bay. But I've always wanted to have my listings show up internationally. In doing so I realized there's more to it than meets the eye.  When I try to list my item to be able to ship internationally on E-Bay.ca, it seems for some odd reason it doesn't seem to ship to the US all of a sudden. It just shows some error "Shipping cost cannot be calculated Please enter a valid ZIP Code". Even though my shipping shows International and even if i enter a random valid zip code. Not only that but for Ebay.ca it only gives us two areas for shipping options. So it seems like I  can only ship to CA and the US or CA and Internationally but not all three. I have tried numerous shipping options to see if anything changed with no resolve?

Another question is that I've done a little digging around on Canada Post and realized that some countries have different restrictions for various items. Decided to research Australia's restrictions and saw that one of them is actually is Second Hand Clothing??? Yet I see lots of people selling used clothing to Australia?

Am I just overthinking this whole international shipping thing? or is it really this difficult of a thing to accomplish? E-bay suggests to ship internationally to reach more potential buyers but **bleep** is it ever confusing? Any advice would be great.

Message 1 of 3
latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

It just shows some error "Shipping cost cannot be calculated Please enter a valid ZIP Code". Even though my shipping shows International and even if i enter a random valid zip code.

So you are selling on ebaydotCOM? That's even more confusing than on dotCA.

For one thing you won't be able to use Calculated Shipping over there, and for overseas shipping that can be vitally important.

So first move to eBayCanada for listing items you want to ship internationally, at least until you are practiced at this.

Now, as a new seller you are probably still using the default Simplified Sell Your Item Form. I've been at this for so long I'm not sure how to find the Advanced Form that more experienced sellers use, but look on the dropdown under SELL.

The Advanced SYI is about four pages long.

Take your time, and yes, you can go back and Revise until you get it right.

Bonus, if you prefer listing in US dollars you can still do that on the eBayCanada Advanced SYI form.

If you have shipping enabled to an overseas country, then your eBayCANADA listing will show there in the local currency whether you list in US or Canadian dollars.

I've done a little digging around on Canada Post and

And some of the information on CP's website is incorrect or out of date or basically ignored by the Aussie customs agents.

If you were to try to ship a bale of used clothing to Jimcumbilly NSW, it would likely be stopped, but a used onsie, probably not. In any case, it is the duty of the citizen to know what can be imported, not the foreign seller. She'll be good.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3
latest reply
2 REPLIES 2

It just shows some error "Shipping cost cannot be calculated Please enter a valid ZIP Code". Even though my shipping shows International and even if i enter a random valid zip code.

So you are selling on ebaydotCOM? That's even more confusing than on dotCA.

For one thing you won't be able to use Calculated Shipping over there, and for overseas shipping that can be vitally important.

So first move to eBayCanada for listing items you want to ship internationally, at least until you are practiced at this.

Now, as a new seller you are probably still using the default Simplified Sell Your Item Form. I've been at this for so long I'm not sure how to find the Advanced Form that more experienced sellers use, but look on the dropdown under SELL.

The Advanced SYI is about four pages long.

Take your time, and yes, you can go back and Revise until you get it right.

Bonus, if you prefer listing in US dollars you can still do that on the eBayCanada Advanced SYI form.

If you have shipping enabled to an overseas country, then your eBayCANADA listing will show there in the local currency whether you list in US or Canadian dollars.

I've done a little digging around on Canada Post and

And some of the information on CP's website is incorrect or out of date or basically ignored by the Aussie customs agents.

If you were to try to ship a bale of used clothing to Jimcumbilly NSW, it would likely be stopped, but a used onsie, probably not. In any case, it is the duty of the citizen to know what can be imported, not the foreign seller. She'll be good.

Message 2 of 3
latest reply

Thanks for the help. Looked into it and your right about the advanced listing on ebay.ca. Didn't know they even had that.
Message 3 of 3
latest reply