New to Ebay Canada and after tips re postage

Hi all, I have the very good fortune to have moved to canada from the uk and I want to resume selling here,
I sell micro machine toys so some of the items I will post (if sold singly) are only 2.5cm x 1.5cm wide.
I have looked at canadian sellers and there is a big difference in postage, in the uk its really simple as there is only one postage for the whole of uk for each size item, but here its a different story as you have such a large country.
I am going to go to the post office monday to have a chat with them, but wondered if any of you have any tips / tricks re postage in canada and to Usa

many thanks
(-:
Steve
Message 1 of 34
latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

First of all, welcome.

I have the very good fortune to have moved to canada from the uk

Tell us that AFTER you've had one of our winters.:^O

How many sales do you have a month and how close are you to the US border? Some of us find that shipping by the US Post office is a far better deal, but you'll have to have the volume to manage it and you have to clear Customs.
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 2 of 34
latest reply

Hello Steve, Welcome 🙂

Are your toys less than 2cm thick with packaging? It is fairly inexpensive to send most items with a depth less than 2cm as they can be sent within Canada as an oversize letter for $1.22 plus tax if under 100 gr and to the U.S. as a light packet for about $2.38 under 100 gr.

Neither of these methods have delivery confirmation or insurance but it is a fairly reliable way of sending inexpensive items.

PJ
Message 3 of 34
latest reply

The PO clerks are a fine bunch of men and women who often give bad advice.

You might want to double check any advice you get here.

Printing out your labels through Paypal saves time. I find using metric measurements gives you better results.

And did you know that if you are using Expedited or Expedited USA service you will get a 25% discount from PO counter prices when you print out shipping labels at home?

If you buy postage stamps at the counter, you will be charged GST. If you buy postage stamps at the counter and attach them to International Packages, you don't pay GST on each package that reaches $5.00 or more in postage. Which is pretty easy, given the rates.

Ask for a VentureONE card. It gives you a discount of around 5% on shipping labels. Not on stamps though.

Don't buy CanadaPost packaging products. Try ULine.com.

You can drop any postage paid parcel in the nearest postbox.
Message 4 of 34
latest reply

I have to join in here and remind shippers that discount Canadian Postage is often available at stamp shows and at traditional stamp auctions. At the moment for overseas letters, rate of $1.70, I am using Capex souvenir sheets face value 1.69 that I bought for 90 cents each in a public auction. I have to add a penny stamp to get the rate right but I have them from stamp accumulations that I have purchased. Many Canadian stamp auction houses can be found at the Canadian Stamp Dealers Association website, CSDAonline dot com as well as a listing of stamp shows.
Message 5 of 34
latest reply

fenian
Community Member
If you buy postage stamps at the counter and attach them to International Packages, you don't pay GST on each package that reaches $5.00 or more in postage.

Just to amend this slightly....If you buy postage stamps at the counter and attach them to International Mail, or if the PO clerk prints labels and attaches them to International Mail (which includes US Mail), you won't pay GST/HST if your entire transaction reaches $5 or more. One transaction means however many packages/international letters you're mailing, provided they're paid for as one total. This could be one package costing $5 to mail, or (e.g.) 2 packages costing $2.50 each.
Message 6 of 34
latest reply

I sell micro machine toys so some of the items I will post (if sold singly) are only 2.5cm x 1.5cm wide.
many thanks
(-:
Steve

One question which province are you located?

You sound like you sell toys, which I do but I sell RC cars.
Most of my mailing supplies I buy at the dollars store. Dollar Giant in BC sells 10 - 24 x 15 cm envelopes for a dollar.

Depending where you live, I live in BC and the HST just hit us, so a light package to the US is now $2.54 after HST, but I find I can send the same 1st class with 2 - $1 stamps which costs only $2.24 after HST.

Same thing in Canada, if the item is under 2 cm thick and under 100gms, it is only $1.37 after HST, up to 200gms it is only $2.24 after HST.

I live close to the border, but still find Canada the best place to mail from.
Message 7 of 34
latest reply

The PO clerks are a fine bunch of men and women who often give bad advice.

:^O
Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere. Carl Sagan
Message 8 of 34
latest reply

"after HST", "plus GST", "plus HST", etc...

I would think most of that tax information is irrelevant for most PowerSellers who are registered with GST/HST and get back ALL the GST/HST paid on their purchases, expenses and postage as ITCs (Input Tax Credits). 🙂
Message 9 of 34
latest reply

"after HST", "plus GST", "plus HST", etc...

I would think most of that tax information is irrelevant for most PowerSellers who are registered with GST/HST and get back ALL the GST/HST paid on their purchases, expenses and postage as ITCs (Input Tax Credits). 🙂

Including own consumption (e.g. mailing supplies, stamps) ? I thought the ITC were on resale items only.
Message 10 of 34
latest reply

Everything you use in your business.

That is the big advantage over the old PST where sellers had to absorb the provincial tax on "stuff" we consume such as postage, office and shipping supplies, equipment, paper, envelopes, internet connection, etc...

ALL of it is now eligible tor ITC (as long as it is used in the business)
Message 11 of 34
latest reply

fenian
Community Member
Yes, I'm well aware that what we pay in HST/GST on postage costs we get back through input tax credits. The only reason I mentioned it was that I still (and often) encounter new staff at less-formal PO sales outlets who are unaware of the "transaction" aspect for international mailings.

One area where I notice unnecessary HST being charged is specific to loose stamp sales. I may have a number of international mailings where those packages receive postal labels. Other international packages mailed at the same time may have philatelic material, in which case I like to frank them with high face value stamps (e.g. a couple of the $8 bear stamps are nice on a registered item). The PO system will likely adjust for the labeled packages, but, unless the PO clerk hits an override button, the system will add HST to the loose stamps, as the system cannot determine the destination of those packages requiring stamps. While I do get my 12% HST back, I'd rather not pay it up front and wait for my quarterly filing to recover it. There's nothing in my business plan to provide the government with an up to 3 month interest free loan, however small the amount may be, if the amount should not have been charged in the first place. These small amounts can be used towards the necessities of life like food, shelter, a small Starbuck's decaff and eBay fees.............Michael
Message 12 of 34
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member

That is the big advantage over the old PST where sellers had to absorb the provincial tax on "stuff" we consume such as postage, office and shipping supplies, equipment, paper, envelopes, internet connection, etc...

ALL of it is now eligible tor ITC (as long as it is used in the business)

Hi Pierre,
For as long as I've been in business, the consumables used in my business have been eligible for ITC when filing my PST form each year.

I honestly thought that everyone enjoyed that perk!

Susan
Message 13 of 34
latest reply

Saskatchewan may have different rules. I do not know.

For the rest of us, in Ontario, until June 30th 2010, whatever provincial tax was paid at time of purchase for goods used in the business but not resold, could NOT be refunded by the provincial government. Office supplies and equipment are the perfect example.

In fact. if a seller with a Vendor Permit purchased goods under PST exemption, tax had to be paid at time of preparing the provincial tax return for goods used in the business for which no PST had been paid at time of purchase.
Message 14 of 34
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Pierre,

I guess it's one perk that Saskatchewan has!

Susan
Message 15 of 34
latest reply

Have you talked to your accountant about it?

At first sight, it appears the laws in Saskatchewan are very similar to wjhat we had in Ontario until HST took effect; For example:

Tax on Consumption

A penalty of 10% of the amount assessed, with no maximum, is applied to audit assessments for goods or services that were taken from inventory or purchased from a supplier who did not charge the tax, where the tax should have been self assessed, but was not.

"You may not purchase goods or services tax-exempt for your personal use or for use in operating your business by quoting your vendor's licence number."

http://www.finance.gov.sk.ca/Default.aspx?DN=e5f80742-9ab3-416c-88c4-f9aa1da73998
Message 16 of 34
latest reply

What? This is news to me. I always thought all business related PST was good for an ITC. Is it possible it depends on the province?
Message 17 of 34
latest reply

What? This is news to me. I always thought all business related PST was good for an ITC. Is it possible it depends on the province?

Well curiousity got me so I looked it up.

And I quote from Revenue Quebec's site:

"The term inputs refers to property or services used in the course of commercial activities, such as

* raw materials
* office furniture
* computer systems
* accountants' fees
* machine-repair costs
* promotional items"

I guess Quebec has perks too!
Message 18 of 34
latest reply

I wonder if our OP knows that most of his/her sales will likely be coming from south of the border?

I feel so fortunate that I rarely run into issues when shipping within Canada. The vast majority of my items are eligible for letter-mail and I often have the option of breaking up a shipment in two if it exceeds 500 grams. It may not be as cost saving for local shipments or those to Ontario but can make a huge difference on items sent out west.
Message 19 of 34
latest reply

Quebec has its own HST. It has been there for many years.

The comment I made related to Saskatchewan.
Message 20 of 34
latest reply