November 6th Weekly Board Hour

Looking forward to your questions at 1PM (Eastern)!

~Kalvin
eBay.ca Community Manager

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Hi Kalvin and colleagues!  I thought I'd get this question in early to avoid the "rush". Smiley Very Happy

EBay has been doing a lot of monkeying around with the FB/history pages recently.  At one point "View Item" disappeared, along with other transaction details, depending on whether you were looking at buyer or seller information.  Now it all seems to be back.  Yesterday and today when I looked at other (Canadian) sellers' FB pages, I could see all the usual transaction details, including "View Item".   Was eBay just testing removal of transaction details to see what the response would be, or is this still a planned permanent removal.  My view is that, despite the problems of complete transparency, it abandons the underlying credo of eBay as a completely open marketplace.  

The other thing that I'm quite stunned about is that I can no longer see my own transaction details (as a buyer) on my own FB page.  How is this a good thing for buyers or sellers?  I used to use my FB pages as a means of finding sellers I'd purchased from before.  Now that will be far more difficult, and frankly I probably won't bother searching elsewhere.  

Can anyone on the eBay staff comment on the rationale behind these seemingly senseless changes?  Is there any appreciation at H.O. for the frustration and sense of unbalance this constant, unannounced fiddling with the site causes?  Has anyone considered that buyers may get fed up with this place looking and acting differently from one day to the next, and simply go elsewhere?  I'm very concerned about this issue, and there's been virtually no meaningful input from eBay about it.  

Thanks.

Message 2 of 19
latest reply

The "View Item" link is gone from MY OWN feedback page! Why can't I see the items that *I* bought?

Message 3 of 19
latest reply

Trust eBay to make illogical changes. This is the response I got from the person in charge of feedback.

Spoiler

It is not a glitch. We made these changes a few weeks ago. The information that was on the {buyer} Feedback Profile page is still available in My eBay in the purchase history page. And it includes all purchases, not just those where you received Feedback.

We continue to evaluate the changes and use of the page.

Thanks.
Brian

Message 4 of 19
latest reply

@lady.stark wrote:

The "View Item" link is gone from MY OWN feedback page! Why can't I see the items that *I* bought?

Hi lady.stark,

When I look at your Feedback page, I don't see that you've purchased anything since July 2012, which is why the View Item link isn't appearing. Your Purchase History in your My eBay should have some info available.

Thanks, 

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

Kalvin, please take a look at my FB page -- I've made recent purchases, and I can't see anything, not even the descriptions of the items, let alone "View Item".  Is this, as someone has said, "collateral damage"?  I am rather upset about its loss.  

By the way, the "My EBay/Purchase History" feature is useless for anything older than 60 days.  The beauty of the FB history was that it was permanent, and even though the "View Item" feature disappeared after a few weeks, the description and price didn't.  It was very useful and handy, now it's gone.  

Please tell us the rationale behind these illogical changes. 

Message 6 of 19
latest reply

Hi!

I sell for about five months a year in the winter in the Collectibles and Consumer Electronics categories. I only sell about 40 items during that time period, for sales of about $6,000 to $8,000 per year.

I looked at getting store but when I did the math, I seemed to me that it was not really worth it.

Do you mind giving me your opinion?

Old enough to know better. Young enough to do it again. Crazy enough to try
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Kalvin, please take a look at my FB page -- I've made recent purchases, and I can't see anything, not even the descriptions of the items, let alone "View Item".  Is this, as someone has said, "collateral damage"?  I am rather upset about its loss.  

By the way, the "My EBay/Purchase History" feature is useless for anything older than 60 days.  The beauty of the FB history was that it was permanent, and even though the "View Item" feature disappeared after a few weeks, the description and price didn't.  It was very useful and handy, now it's gone.  

Hi rose-dee,

Raphael's just in the midst of replying to your original post - please sit tight 🙂

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Hi Kalvin and colleagues!  I thought I'd get this question in early to avoid the "rush". Smiley Very Happy

EBay has been doing a lot of monkeying around with the FB/history pages recently.  At one point "View Item" disappeared, along with other transaction details, depending on whether you were looking at buyer or seller information.  Now it all seems to be back.  Yesterday and today when I looked at other (Canadian) sellers' FB pages, I could see all the usual transaction details, including "View Item".   Was eBay just testing removal of transaction details to see what the response would be, or is this still a planned permanent removal.  My view is that, despite the problems of complete transparency, it abandons the underlying credo of eBay as a completely open marketplace.  

The other thing that I'm quite stunned about is that I can no longer see my own transaction details (as a buyer) on my own FB page.  How is this a good thing for buyers or sellers?  I used to use my FB pages as a means of finding sellers I'd purchased from before.  Now that will be far more difficult, and frankly I probably won't bother searching elsewhere.  

Can anyone on the eBay staff comment on the rationale behind these seemingly senseless changes?  Is there any appreciation at H.O. for the frustration and sense of unbalance this constant, unannounced fiddling with the site causes?  Has anyone considered that buyers may get fed up with this place looking and acting differently from one day to the next, and simply go elsewhere?  I'm very concerned about this issue, and there's been virtually no meaningful input from eBay about it.  

Thanks.

Hi rose-dee,

Last spring, we announced a huge overhaul of the eBay marketplace which started with the unveiling of our new logo. The changes that you are talking about are all part of that overhaul. As we continue to implement these changes (there are a lot more to come), things might not always roll out as smoothly as we had planned. That's just the reality of working on such a system as the eBay site. I can't speak specifically about what caused the recent fluctuations in how the FB page looks, but I can safely say that things should stabilize shortly. I apologize for the inconvenience this may cause.

Regarding your use of the FB page as a transaction history, please note that this was never the intended use for that page. As we continue to evolve towards the next iteration of eBay, please use your Purchase History located in My eBay to track past transactions and find the sellers you dealt with.

Lastly, I assure you that we carefully consider the impact of the changes we make to the site and test new features out as much as possible before we roll them out. I totally appreciate your comments, which I will share with the appropriate team.

Thanks!

Message 9 of 19
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Your Purchase History shows you everything you purchased in the past 3 years. For items older than 60 days, you have to look at the archived items.

My eBay Purchase History.png

Message 10 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for your reply Raphael, but I do beg to differ on the subject of the practical usefulness of the FB history as a means of finding previous sellers (or buyers).  

The FB history may not have originally been intended for use as a handy card file, but like many things that start out with one purpose, people discover other interesting and truly helpful ways of using them.  I doubt I'm the only buyer who has scrolled back through the FB pages looking for that one seller who sold me such a great item 8 months ago, and has since otherwise disappeared off my radar.  

My underlying objection to the removal of transaction details is the loss of that spontaneous "cross-pollination", as I call it, a loss for buyers and sellers alike.  This, as I see it, is a dramatic shift away from what made eBay unique and interesting (and a safe place to buy, for that matter).  I know there is nothing we in .ca-land can do about these changes, but if it's true that you are able to pass comments like mine along to the powers in San Jose, I'd be grateful.  Personally I think they're ruining the site by too much too fast, and it's getting depressing, but who am I? 

Message 11 of 19
latest reply

Make sure everyone enters this contest!!

Cat Tongue

Cat Tongue

Cat Tongue

Cat Tongue

register_intro.jpg

https://promotions.mardenkane.com/ebay/joytoyou/register.cfm

Message 12 of 19
latest reply

@rosscd57 wrote:

Hi!

I sell for about five months a year in the winter in the Collectibles and Consumer Electronics categories. I only sell about 40 items during that time period, for sales of about $6,000 to $8,000 per year.

I looked at getting store but when I did the math, I seemed to me that it was not really worth it.

Do you mind giving me your opinion?

Hi rosscd57,

Sounds like you've got it all figured out - we wouldn't advise to kick up your overhead costs if you know the return on investment isn't there 🙂

Thanks,

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 13 of 19
latest reply

When viewing my summary page on selling manager on .com it gives 'Listing improvement suggestions'. One of the suggestions is that I change a bracelet to the watch section. I assume this is because that particular company makes watches but it doesn't make much sense to put it under the wrong category.

Ebay suggests that I have 49 items that need item specifics. I'm quite diligent about filling in specifics when I list so that surprised me. When I checked to see what the suggestions were, they were not pertinent for that item.

Ebay also suggests that I add something in the new condition description field so that 'buyers know what to expect'. That is definitely necessary at times but many of my items are 'new without tags' which simply means that when I purchased the new items from a retailer or wholesaler, there were no tags Since my listings already says that they are new without tags...what exactly am I supposed to put in the condition description field?

As far as search is concerned, am I less likely to be found in search just because I haven't filled in ebay's suggestions? I realize that if someone searches using a term that I don't have listed in my item specifics, then the item might not be found...but I'm  wondering if ebay intentionally penalizes sellers for not filling out all of their suggestions?

Message 14 of 19
latest reply

Bryan, contests are fun, but an inbox overloaded with promotional emails is not.  I took a look at the official rules of this contest, and found this (which I understand to mean that if you don't check the "send me promos" box, you don't actually get your name entered, even though you've entered all your personal information).  This seems deceptive.  Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

"At the time of completing your Registration, you will have the opportunity to earn one (1) Entry if you opt-in to receive marketing communications from the Sponsor. By checking the specified box where indicated on the Form and successfully opting-in to the eBay Deals Email Alerts, you will receive one (1) Entry in the random draw for the Grand Prize (as defined below)."

Message 15 of 19
latest reply

@rose-dee wrote:

Bryan, contests are fun, but an inbox overloaded with promotional emails is not.  I took a look at the official rules of this contest, and found this (which I understand to mean that if you don't check the "send me promos" box, you don't actually get your name entered, even though you've entered all your personal information).  This seems deceptive.  Please correct me if I'm wrong. 

"At the time of completing your Registration, you will have the opportunity to earn one (1) Entry if you opt-in to receive marketing communications from the Sponsor. By checking the specified box where indicated on the Form and successfully opting-in to the eBay Deals Email Alerts, you will receive one (1) Entry in the random draw for the Grand Prize (as defined below)."

Hi Rose-Dee,

By no means are we lawyers lol, but if I was to hazard a guess its because in order to receive the Free entry you need to opt-in and provide your info to comply with contest rules. Now, in order to send you something you need to also confirm you are okay to opt-in so, there is the double opt-in boxes. Not deceptive but I think its just the rules in Canada 🙂

Again, not a lawyer!!

Bryan

Message 16 of 19
latest reply

@pjcdn2005 wrote:

When viewing my summary page on selling manager on .com it gives 'Listing improvement suggestions'. One of the suggestions is that I change a bracelet to the watch section. I assume this is because that particular company makes watches but it doesn't make much sense to put it under the wrong category.

Ebay suggests that I have 49 items that need item specifics. I'm quite diligent about filling in specifics when I list so that surprised me. When I checked to see what the suggestions were, they were not pertinent for that item.

Ebay also suggests that I add something in the new condition description field so that 'buyers know what to expect'. That is definitely necessary at times but many of my items are 'new without tags' which simply means that when I purchased the new items from a retailer or wholesaler, there were no tags Since my listings already says that they are new without tags...what exactly am I supposed to put in the condition description field?

As far as search is concerned, am I less likely to be found in search just because I haven't filled in ebay's suggestions? I realize that if someone searches using a term that I don't have listed in my item specifics, then the item might not be found...but I'm  wondering if ebay intentionally penalizes sellers for not filling out all of their suggestions?

Hi pjcdn2005,

Without having looked at your My eBay, it sounds like you are getting false positives, by that I mean the systems that detect improvement opportunities are hitting your items based on wrong assumptions. I'll take your case to the appropriate team to see if we can use that to better the system. In the meantime, if the suggestions don't make sense, don't follow them. You shouldn't be penalized in Search because of that, as long as you do specify what the item condition is (new, used, etc.) in the Item Specifics.

About the item condition description field: this field is intended for you to summarize the info you are already putting in your item specifics and/or description. Putting something there will help your sales since it shows up right at the top of your listing (prospective buyers don't have to scroll down to get to it) and is way more prominent than your item specifics and description when someone looks at your listing on a mobile phone.

Message 17 of 19
latest reply

Well, I think what it doesn't say is that essentially your registration as a contestant will go nowhere unless you opt in to have promo emails sent to you.  

Many people are extremely leery about putting such personal details as telephone numbers in online contest applications to begin with.  Even those who do, and in good faith think they have opted out of the promos, will, as I read it, not only not be entered in the contest, but will be adding their personal information to a database somewhere that will doubtless benefit someone financially.  

I just hope people read and understand the official rules, but it is misleading on the face of it. 

Message 18 of 19
latest reply

Thanks for everyone's participation! See you all next week 🙂

~Kalvin

kalvin@ebay.com

Message 19 of 19
latest reply