OFF TOPIC: Anyone ever take VIA Rail across Canada AND....

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi All,

Curious if anyone has taken VIA Rail across Canada. I will be traveling with our three daughters in November from Saskatoon to Ottawa and then back again in late December. (Our oldest daughter is expecting her second baby in early December.) If you've traveled via this method...any suggestions?

Also...we're having to over night in Toronto. The Strathcona Hotel was suggested as a VERY CLOSE easy to get to hotel from Union Station. Is this true???? Or do any of you Toronto-ians have any other suggestions for an easy to walk to hotel.

Any suggestions would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 1 of 23
latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

Strathcona IS very close to Union Station, not a cheap hotel though if that's an issue. There are cheaper places although maybe not quite so close but still easy to get to either by public transit or taxi.

I took the train from Vancouver to Toronto but it was 40 years ago, went economy....pretty brutal.

I hope you're not planning on the train to save money, VIA rates are crazy high.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 2 of 23
latest reply

... pretty brutal.

I took a train (believe it was economy as well) little over year ago to save me driving. It was one of those trips where it's not worth to fly but it's somewhat long drive.

If the train did not break somewhere between Toronto and Kingston and we did not have to wait 2hrs for the busses, it would have been very pleasant experience.

They also offer wireless internet on board with very reasonable rate.

Would pick the train over flight anytime. No wasted hours on the airport, no security checks, no lineups, more comfortable seats, no constant noise from the jets 😉

As for the trans-Canada ... cannot advice on that but it will be nice scenic ride for sure.
Message 3 of 23
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi recped and dipmicro,

Thank you both for your responses. They were very much appreciated.

The Strathcona rate I was quoted with a VIA Rail discount is $90.00 for the end of November which I thought was fairly reasonable. I'm looking for a hotel to be able to walk to easily as we arrive at 8 PM at night and need to be back to the train station by 6 AM.

If you know of another hotel that is cheaper...within walking distance, please let me know!

Flights from Saskatoon to Ottawa ON SALE...$3500.00 for the 4 of us. Sadly Saskatchewan doesn't get the best flight deals. The train is $1524.60...plus the hotel on the way there. That's at least a 45% savings over flying.

Please recped tell me that you don't think the seats are the same as when you road the train 40 years ago!!!!!

I'm looking forward to just spending time with my girls. They are really fantastic travelers.

Last summer we took the bus from Melfort to Ottawa. Now that was a BRUTAL trip with a bit more excitement than what I could handle. And, in light of the recent death of the young man traveling the same scheduled bus that we took....we decided it would be plane or train this time.

Thanks dipmicro for the info about the wireless. The scenery in Canada is absolutely beautiful and so different from province to province. We're looking forward to seeing all that we can see, sitting back and relaxing and of course...not driving!

If anyone else has suggestions, I would most certainly appreciate hearing from you.

Thanks again to the two of you!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 4 of 23
latest reply

I took the train across or partly across several times in he 70's. It was a great trip, but I would recommend getting sleepers, which would include all meals on the train. Take a good book, and relax. The obvious hotel in Toronto would be the Royal York just across the street from Union Station, but it can be pricey.
Message 5 of 23
latest reply

Mom, are you saying that train from Saskatoon to Ottawa for 4 people costs ONLY $1524 ???

My perception always was that in Canada is more expensive to take a train than flight.

If it's cheaper to train, I am there ... 🙂 The comfort level on the train is way superior to the cattle-like experience of economy flights.
Message 6 of 23
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi dipmicro and fatdane,

Yes! Tis true! All four of us are traveling for $1524.60. Can't beat the price! That is economy. Sleepers....over $6,000.00. So, we'll rough it for a few days!

Thanks fatdane for the info about the Royal York. Yes, I found out first hand that the Royal York was pricey...over $250.00 plus tax for the night. I guess one pays for the accomodations and convenience with it being right across the street from Union Station.

Are there any other hotels within a real short walking distance like the Stratcona is?

Thanks for the info!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 7 of 23
latest reply

Are there any other hotels within a real short walking distance like the Stratcona is?

Sure....BUT

The Strathcona rate I was quoted with a VIA Rail discount is $90.00

That's a BARGAIN, you might find something slightly cheaper but I wouldn't bother even looking. My earlier comment was based on their published rates (about triple the $90).

Please recped tell me that you don't think the seats are the same as when you road the train 40 years ago!!!!!

No, those seats which were probably 50 years old at the time are now being used on the QNSL train from Sept-Iles to Schefferville (spent 14 hours times 2 "enjoying" them in July), the current seats on the VIA transcontinental are probably the ones that replaced them!

That is economy. Sleepers....over $6,000.00. So, we'll rough it for a few days!

As long as you are prepared for that you'll be fine.

The scenery in Canada is absolutely beautiful and so different from province to province. We're looking forward to seeing all that we can see, sitting back and relaxing and of course...not driving!

Absolutely, the only problem being the schedule, seems VIA finds a way to make sure the most scenic parts are traveled in the middle of the night.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
Message 8 of 23
latest reply

Strathcona for $90 is really not bad.

there are cheaper one downtown but you'll have to take the subway. With such a rush schedule the Strathcona is your best bet for only one night.
Message 9 of 23
latest reply

Trains are usually cheaper than planes until you start getting into overnight accomodation on a sleeper. It is unfortunate that you cannot go directly to Ottawa these days.

If you are going coach, it gets cold at night so take a heavy sweater. Riding in the dome car at night is great, but it gets really cold because the heat is turned off. I'm not sure if the dome cars go east of Alberta these days or not, but VIA bought a lot of second hand ones from US railraods, so they have enough equipement to do that.

The Toronto-Ottawa trains actually start in Hamilton and use the standard LRC coaches and/or Renaisence equipment. Expect it to arrive in Toronto 5 mins late and arrive in Ottawa 30 mins late.

The Strathcona is the preferred hotel unless you feel the need to stay at the Royal York. It is across the street and around the corner from Union Station. They do a really good breakfast also. The Strathcona is where CP personnel used to stay before they all moved to Calgary and Montreal.

Toronto to Ottawa will take you by section of the 401 known as the "Highway of Heros", but you can't actually see it. Next will be the nuclear power plant and then the Trenton Airbase.

The trip to Toronto will consist of mainly rocks, trees and some water and lots of snow in November across lake Superior. As you travel south to Toronto, the snow should disappear completely.

If last year is a new pattern and not just an aberation, you'll need shorts, t-shirt, bathing suits and sunscreen in Southern Ontario in November.
Message 10 of 23
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
You have all been a wealth of information. Via Rail said that they provide blankets and pillows...but I'm sure that having extras along will be wise. I'll put that on my list!

They do have the sight-seing cars so hopefully we'll be able to take in some of the scenery.

Our girls are easy travelers...always have been...even on their first flights within China and then from China on the way home to Canada when they were little.

They love reading, Nintendo games and such so I'm sure that will keep the 3 of them busy when they are not chatting, which is nonstop, or enjoying the countryside.

We'll keep our reservation at the Strathcona and hopefully I won't get us lost walking there! Most certainly it must be easier than getting around New York City which I've done many times over the year on foot.

Thanks again for the info!

Enjoy your holiday weekend!

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 11 of 23
latest reply

duujogl
Community Member
Susan, I've never done it in November, and never done it by train, but DH and I did drive across most of the country one year (back in the /80's) - from Montreal to Victoria. We took 1-1/2 months to do it and really felt like we'd seen the country! We were told we'd be really bored with the flat land going through Sask, but it was beautiful! I've always lived on the west coast with mountains and ocean so I'd never been anywhere that you could be on an overpass (or any high spot) and actually see the curvature of the earth!! Watching the wind blowing through the grain fields is much like watching waves on the ocean - always moving and always different.

We'd been selling collectibles by mail-order and at trade shows for many years and had many friends from all over, so we rarely had the expense of hotels - instead we had friends in many towns arguing over who would be lucky enough to host us!

Anyhow, the point of this is just to tell you you'll have a great time, you'll enjoy all of it, and you'll have memories of the country, and your children, that will last a lifetime and can never be repeated! The country will change and your children will grow - take lots of pictures, and keep a trip diary!

Glenda
Message 12 of 23
latest reply

The Strathcona Hotel is a great choice. Go out the front door of the train station, walk left to the first lights at York St. Turn right and cross the lights, it's on the left hand side about 1/2 block up.

DH works for VIA. He says you can take your own food in a cooler. There is 2 hour or so stop-over in Winnipeg. There's a market right behind that station where you can pick up more food.

VIA's blankets are thin, you may want to bring an extra light one for each of you. & bring sweaters too.

DH says there may be a schedule change in late October re the 6am train to Ottawa. Right now it leaves at 6:55am and they start pre-boarding at 6:25am. Be sure to double check the times just prior to your trip.

They don't turn the heat off in the dome car, it just gets cold with all the windows. The dome cars stop at Toronto.

I love Sask!! Lived in Moose Jaw for 3 years.

Message 13 of 23
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi Glenda and Soobeadoo,

Thank you for sharing your thoughts!

Glenda...I know that most assume that Sask is flat and parts of it are, but where we live we have down hill skiing about 10 minutes from us...complete with Black Diamond runs! Our girls think that is great!

The route that you took through Sask is awesome! It's amazing to see the vast countryside, animals...domestic, farm and wild. And, the sky...you can see a storm coming a day away. We're no longer farming, but rent out our land. We love the views...can't beat them up here in the middle part of Sask!

Great idea about the trip diary. And, since I sell scrapbooking supplies, our girls took the time to decorate their own diaries for the trip yesterday. They are so excited about going!

Soobeadoo! THANK YOU FOR THE DIRECTIONS to the Strathcona! I've copied, pasted and printed them and will be sure to take them with us. And most certainly good to know that we may bring our own cooler on board and may replenish in Winnipeg. I've most definitely have added blankets for the four of us just in case. And, yes....we'll have sweaters with us.....on the list!

When our oldest daughter was still living in Sask, we spent many weekends in Moose Jaw at Judo tournaments. One could always tell when Sask Judo was in town! The history there is something else and most certainly that city (??) is ever changing.

Thank you both for the information...to all of you...as you all are helping immeasurably while I prepare for this trip.

Have a great week!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 14 of 23
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
While watching the last Obama/McCain debate tonight I surfed on over to Travelocity.ca and got a GREAT DEAL on the Fairmont Royal York. $99.00 plus tax for the four of us vs $99.00 at the Strathcona.

Couldn't resist the even shorter walk so I cancelled the reservation for the Strathcona and went for the Royal York.

Counting the days until we leave! My store will be on vacation until the New Year as of November 15th so that I may complete my inventory and have it ready for the accountant the first week of January.

My this year has just flown by!

Have a good one!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 15 of 23
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Oops, meant $90.00 at the Strathcona.
Message 16 of 23
latest reply

handmadefun
Community Member
I guess $99+tax for Royal York is a very good deal. It is just right across the street from the Union Station. May be it is because of low season. Have a wonderful Trip! 🙂
Message 17 of 23
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
Hi handmadefun,

I think it's a great deal. The same room usually goes for $259 at that time.

I believe I just lucked out!

Our girls and I are excited about going. We found out that our daughter and her husband are having another little girl! She'll be treasured for sure!

Our youngest daughter, Emi (6), is actually driving us crazy because every time we get in the van to go somewhere she asks if we're going to Ottawa!

ARE WE THERE YET?

Have a great day!
Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 18 of 23
latest reply

momoftwingles2
Community Member
We're packed and ready to go. Suitcases ready. Pillows ready. Blankets ready. We leave on Wednesday for Saskatoon and board the train at 2 in the morning on Thursday. All that is left for me to do is get some meals made and frozen to help my husband out a bit while he's working his long shifts. Other days...he can fend for himself. He's a great cook!

Our girls are so excited and can't wait! Our youngest, Emi, is driving us all crazy asking if it is time to go. This has been going on for the past month! At 6-1/2 she has no concept of time!

Our newest granddaughter is due on December 2nd! She will be named Mia Jane and hopefully she'll be on time or a bit early!

I didn't get all of my listings redone..have about 750 more to go. I'll tend to them when we get home. My store is closed until January 5th, 2009 so nothing hopefully to be concerned about there.

I'm sure I'll read the board from time to time but just in case I don't I wanted to wish all of you a very Merry Christmas! Enjoy your families and have a safe holiday.

Susan
momoftwingles2
Message 19 of 23
latest reply

Bring us some nice weather, it's crap here at the moment!

Have a great trip.......

Message 20 of 23
latest reply