..ON CP'S CUSTOM FEES...

u-deserv-it
Community Member
i was told recently by a cp agent that when sending parcels whether online or with the clerk, always select 'gift', and not purchase...they usually don't like to charge custom fees on gifts apparantly (as it "wouldn't be very nice") as much as they do with a purchases...i don't know how accurate that is, but worth a try...
Kat
Message 1 of 19
latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

..ON CP'S CUSTOM FEES...

You should not list an item as a "GIFT" when infact it is not a GIFT -- doing so can result in fines and other penalties if you are ever caught.
Message 2 of 19
latest reply

..ON CP'S CUSTOM FEES...

djbullet2005
Community Member
That is correct and also "cheating" by some people. You can always justify that the buyer purchased your item as a gift. I had shipments from Hong Kong where the seller actually wrapped jeans in wrapping paper and marked the value of the goods to $20 instead of $100. The downfall for this is that the insurance is only covered up to the value declared unless you purchase 3rd party insurance (which they wouldn't care what the value is.) When I go to the post office these days the clerk usually marks the item as a gift when I forget to fill out the international forms. If you are a casual seller and don't report your income to the government I don't see yourself getting in trouble for that. If you are a full time business ship all the time, pay your taxes and get audited then you could be questioned.
Message 3 of 19
latest reply

..ON CP'S CUSTOM FEES...

u-deserv-it
Community Member
hi dj, i'm just a casual part time seller...for now anyways..!
Kat
Message 4 of 19
latest reply

..ON CP'S CUSTOM FEES...

treasure-pot
Community Member
I'd love to have the name and number for the CP agent to let them know that they couldn't be further from the truth.

$201 USD gifts shipped to the USA are still taxed and duty applied if warranted. $21 CAD gifts shipped to Canada are still taxed and duty applied if warranted.

Ask the agent to show you the CRA bulletin that absolves gifts with a value of more than $20 CAD from taxes and applicable duty - it doesn't exist. Some may slip through unnoticed but not because there is a policy to allow them through.

If you want to hear it from the horse's mouth, call your local CRA longroom. Those boys and girls work in some pretty dreary places and they could use the laugh.

Bill treasure-pot

Bill

Message 5 of 19
latest reply

..ON CP'S CUSTOM FEES...

u-deserv-it
Community Member
..oh really..? well, we pay the tax here before sending right..and no other taxes after its sent? but duty however, i was told they won't add to gifts. it was before the new year, so i couldn't remember even which post office it was, let alone the clerk, but i don't even use cp offices no more anyways to ask again since i started using paypal online.
i had just remembered it while doing a paypal online and thought i'd post it..not that its much of a problem for me, i rarely have to pay duty on items i've sent..if ever really..i always thought the recipient paid it...
Kat
Message 6 of 19
latest reply

..ON CP'S CUSTOM FEES...

tobyshitzu
Community Member
21 CAD gifts shipped to Canada are still taxed and duty applied if warranted.

Ask the agent to show you the CRA bulletin that absolves gifts with a value of more than $20 CAD from taxes and applicable duty -

No need, its right on the website.

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/import/courier/postal/ind_duty_free-e.html
Items that qualify as a "gift"

For an item to qualify as a "gift", another person must send it to you personally and must include a card or other notice indicating that it's a gift.

* If you receive an imported gift by mail and it's worth $60 CAN or less, you don't have to pay duty or tax.

Hope the book doesn't need a correction 😉
Message 7 of 19
latest reply

..ON CP'S CUSTOM FEES...

treasure-pot
Community Member
You are right...my bad... and no it doesn't.;-) Apologies to u-deserve-it for my erroneous info.

Of course that still doesn't make it right for a CP agent to council fraud. Or for eBay sellers to practice it.

With all the discussions about fraud on this board in the last week it leaves me wondering how sellers can in one breath complain about others committing fraud on the site and then turn around and falsely claim that a package is shipped as a gift.

Bill treasure-pot

Bill

Message 8 of 19
latest reply

..ON CP'S CUSTOM FEES...

tobyshitzu
Community Member
It is true that a lot if not most CP outlet staffers tell people all the time to mark gift or just automatically tick it off themself. Back when I used to process them at outlets sending to USA under $200 so it didn't matter one of the regular staffers thought it was weird when I would say don't market it gift.
Message 9 of 19
latest reply

..ON CP'S CUSTOM FEES...

bestshowtime
Community Member
CUSTOM FEES
What will you do when you bought item for 40GBP and seller mark it on custom declaration CN22 - 100GBP. As result you paid higher duty and tax? Seller tell you sorry!
Message 10 of 19
latest reply

..ON CP'S CUSTOM FEES...

oilerfan4lyfe
Community Member
Unfortunately that happens sometimes and it really stinks - a great way to do it though is when you pay the seller, in the paypal message area ask them specifically to mark the value of the item on the declaration with what you paid instead of what it's worth. Then if customs re-values the item at a higher value you can appeal it by sending them a receipt and get your money back.
Message 11 of 19
latest reply

..ON CP'S CUSTOM FEES...

bestshowtime
Community Member
you can appeal it by sending them a receipt and get your money back.
Do you know that is work or it is just your opinion?
Message 12 of 19
latest reply

..ON CP'S CUSTOM FEES...

Go read the CRA website - it is their opinion.
Message 13 of 19
latest reply

..ON CP'S CUSTOM FEES...

u-deserv-it
Community Member
..i honestly don't have a problem marking gift when its not..sorry...after all the c**p i have to put up with with cp..i don't really think its 'high level fraud'..i don't sell that many items, and besides...their own staff encourage it..how can that be called fraud??
i have more of a problem of sellers here who complain about the price of shipping showing up on packages...what's the big worry if we're not overcharging more than a buck or two..? i think that's more dishonest myself..
Kat
Message 14 of 19
latest reply

..ON CP'S CUSTOM FEES...

It really has nothing to do with CP - they are just a carrier, like UPS or Fedex. All carriers are supposed to comply with Canada Customs requirements when transporting goods outside the country.
If you have a CP staffer telling you to break the law, that speaks volumes about the caliber of employee the PO is hiring these days. And we wonder why our parcels go missing.

:O

Ann
Message 15 of 19
latest reply

..ON CP'S CUSTOM FEES...

djbullet2005
Community Member
Every time I pay for taxes I send in the appeal and say that it was a gift and the value was incorrect. 2 months later I received 5 cheques.
Message 16 of 19
latest reply

..ON CP'S CUSTOM FEES...

bestshowtime
Community Member
To: djbullet2005
"the value was incorrect."
Did they ask you about proving a correct price and any thing else?
Message 17 of 19
latest reply

..ON CP'S CUSTOM FEES...

jakeeangel
Community Member
You have to include documents to support it with your request for a refund. Supporting documents would be the eBay auction page with the winning amount or the PayPal bill showing what you paid for the item.

Here's the link on the CBSA website to the form for requesting a refund.

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/E/pbg/cf/b2/README.html

Come See What Else We've Got Up For Auction!
Message 18 of 19
latest reply

..ON CP'S CUSTOM FEES...

bestshowtime
Community Member
To: jakeeangel
Thanks a lot!
Message 19 of 19
latest reply