POWER SELLER ICON next to eBay ID optional ???

lina-mallows
Community Member
Anyone care to look at the following auction.... 200283588161.

I have often wondered how eBay can permit someone to advertise so blatantly that they are a POWER SELLER- yet totally disregard eBay's policy.

eBay POLICY:
''According to the eBay Powerseller agreement:
"2. POWERSELLER ICON AND LOGO. As a current eBay PowerSeller, an icon
(\"Icon\") indicating your status as an eBay PowerSeller will appear
by default next to \nyour eBay User ID. You may choose (in the
\"Preferences/Set-Up\" tab on your My eBay page) not to have the Icon
displayed next to your User ID. If you agree to have the Icon
\ndisplayed next to your User ID, you may use the PowerSellers logo
provided by eBay in the following locations only: (a) your eBay About
Me page; (b) in the description of individual\nitem listings you
place on eBay and (c) on your primary web site outside of eBay.''

I wrote eBay- and in part received this response:
''Regrettably we are not able
to confirm if this seller is an active Powerseller on the site, due to
the privacy policy we are not able to release any personal information
about another member on the site.

I do understand how this can be frustrating, however normally when a
member is a Powerseller the logo will be shown on the right hand side of
their user id unless they have decided to hide it."

And this wonderful piece of nonsense:
''One possibility is that the member has chosen to hide the logo next to
their user ID in public areas. If this is the case the member is still
in the Powerseller program, but is not displaying such to members. There
are quite a few sellers who choose this option for one reason or
another, but they are still technically Powersellers and are allowed to
display that logo in their listings.''

So- according to eBay, as stated above- you can use the POWER SELLER logo in your description- though not display it next to your ID- as you '' are still technically Powersellers''.

So- if eBay can't divulge who REALLY is a Power Seller- HOW CAN ANYONE TELL WHO IS, AND WHO ISN'T LEGITIMATELY A POWER SELLER, even when the Power Seller logo is so viably displayed in a description?

Does this make any sense to anyone?
Message 1 of 26
latest reply
25 REPLIES 25

lina-mallows
Community Member
viably = VISIBLY (sorry- spell check run amuck)
Message 2 of 26
latest reply

My question is why does it matter so much to you?
Message 3 of 26
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
canadaspatchking - Simply put- what value is displaying your Power Seller LOGO- if ANYONE can use a POWER SELLER ICON in their auction's description/pictures- without any checks or balances?

If eBay won't tell a buyer you who is a REAL Power Seller- and won't remove auctions that violate eBay Policy- what good is having that policy?
Message 4 of 26
latest reply

"If eBay won't tell a buyer you who is a REAL Power Seller"

I do NOT want eBay to tell potential buyers about my PowerSeller status. That is my choice, not yours. .
Quality stamps from Canada, British Commonwealth and Worldwide at Wholesale Prices
Message 5 of 26
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
pierrelebel- The question I am raising is not whether eBay will divulge WHO IS a Power Seller without their consent- it's the use of the Power Seller LOGO by those many sellers who fail to display the ICON next to their USER ID, as per the Power Seller Agreement- that I am questioning.

If THE SELLER USES THE LOGO IN THEIR DESCRIPTION- THEY are 'claiming' they are a Power Seller- but eBay will not confirm if this is a fact.

As to whether you care to divulge your status is your choice. I am not taking that right away.

I am simply pointing out the fact that I so often see POWER SELLER LOGOS in some sellers descriptions- when they clearly are not (by FB % for example), or are questionably a legitimate Power Seller.

If eBay won't enforce it's own policy respecting the use of their LOGOS- how is anyone supposed to know who is really, or who isn't' a Power Seller?

Just as an aside- though the choice to display your status is yours alone- anyone with a calculator, or simply going to sellerdome, can take an educated guess as to your number of sales, or $ volume. So, whether you wish to overtly advertise your Power Seller status or not, almost everything is pretty obvious for those who are looking.
Then again Pierre- though you choose not to display a Power Seller logo in your auctions, your postings in the Power Seller forum make your status evident to those who visit here.
Message 6 of 26
latest reply

I must agree with canadaspatchking- The last thing I have time to worry about is a Powerseller icon - as long as I am selling my product, I don't care about such nonsense. It is up to the buyer to make a fair judgement of the seller's history and status before feeling confident enough to buy from them. Enough about the Powerseler status already. Just my 2 cents.
Now- back to the Christmas sales...........
Oh, by the way, fellow "Powersellers", here is one good thing about having Powerseller status- Buy from AXE 'N GEAR MUSIC this Christmas, and get our best deal on your order, plus we will throw in a smile,:-), absolutely free!! Act Now!!! 😉

AXE.
Message 7 of 26
latest reply

Axe:

I must agree. Sure I'm a Powerseller, but I have never ,and will never, display the icon next to my eBay id as I think it brings a negative connotation.

And to be frank I really don't understand sellers like lina_mallows that get their knickers in a knot about the icon. If eBay was so concerned about who was and wasn't displaying the icon they would probably not make it optional to display it in our preferences.

I'm a Powerseller for the discounts only, oh and this wonderfully informative discussion board.
Message 8 of 26
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
axe_n_gear_music & canadaspatchking- This has nothing to do with you- and YOUR choice. Do what you will- this isn't about maintaining your privacy and right to maintain your privacy.

It's about those sellers that use the POWER SELLER LOGO in their PHOTOS- and descriptions- and eBay WILL NOT say if they ARE, or ARE NOT Power Sellers.

AS A BUYER- how much confidence can I have in ANY POWER SELLER LOGO- if the seller will not display the ICON next to their user ID (as is supposedly required)- and eBay WILL NOT verify if they are a POWER SELLER !
Message 9 of 26
latest reply

You're kidding, right?
Message 10 of 26
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
canadaspatchking- I'll try to address this so you will understand.
This IS NOT about eBay giving sellers the option of being able to choose whether you DO, or DO NOT display your Power Seller status. That is your choice.

HOWEVER- as a BUYER- when I see a POWER SELLER LOGO- in a seller's PHOTO/s- or description, and THERE IS NO ICON next to their eBay user ID (as per policy)- HOW DO I KNOW THAT THAT SELLER IS REALLY A POWER SELLER ???

That is my concern. Is that clearer?
Message 11 of 26
latest reply

And I again ask, why do you care?

What does a Powerseller icon tell you about a specific seller? It's the feedback that tells you what a seller and their service are like, not the icon.

Any schlub that sells $1000 worth of merchandise per month can earn a Powerseller icon.

So get over it and move on and have another cup of Starbucks Coffee as there are more important things in the world to worry about then worry if a seller is faking Powerseller status.

And why are you yelling? Using CAPS in your posts does not lend your opinions any more credibility.
Message 12 of 26
latest reply

If eBay won't enforce it's own policy respecting the use of their LOGOS- how is anyone supposed to know who is really, or who isn't' a Power Seller?

How do you know they don't enforce their policy?

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 13 of 26
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
canadaspatchking

I do not GENERALLY (though I will make an exception here) use caps a method of shouting.
It's a stylistic thing- so GET OVER IT!

As for why I care- I do. And I am sick and tired of watching Power Sellers so blatantly disregard the rules thinking they know better.

Yo- canadaspatchking - are a sterling example of not giving a damn about what matters to others, while only being concerned about yourself.
There is a biggre picture out there, and you are oblivious to it.

I am primarily an eBay buyer- if eBay can't confirm who is, and who is not a Power Seller- when THE SELLER CLAIMS THEY ARE A POWER SELLER- what good is having a Power Seller programme?

FEEDBACK is only part of the equation. Violations, and other unseen activities on the part of a seller affect who is, and who is not able to be a Power Seller. WE are not privileged to this behind the scenes eBay information.

ACCORFING TO eBAY- POWER SELLER ICON ''This icon next to a member's user ID means that the seller meets the criteria for being a PowerSeller - consistent sales volume, 98% total positive Feedback, eBay marketplace policy compliance, an account in good financial standing, and beginning in July 2008, detailed seller rating (DSRs) of 4.5 or higher in all four DSRs - item as described, communication, shipping time, and shipping and handling charges. If a seller no longer complies with any one of the above requirements, they are removed from the program.''

THE ABOVE STATEMENTS HAVE NO MEANING IF ANYONE CAN SIMPLY CHOOSE TO CALL THEMSELVES A POWER SELLER !!! AND THAT'S THE POINT-

So- canadaspatchking- if you don't get it.....move on. This is an issue for me as a buyer, and I will press it as far as I can!

p.s picky petty people who have nothing better to do, often criticize other's style, most likely being totally ignorant of the substance
Message 14 of 26
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
This thread is becoming like fly paper.
It appears to be attracting those hanging around with little else to do.
Message 15 of 26
latest reply

antiquesandarchives
Community Member
go to ebay korea and put an item number of something a suspect seller has, it will show whether they are powersellers and what level
Message 16 of 26
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
I will definitely try this.

There are far to many sellers CLAIMING that they are Power Sellers when they are nothing of the sort. eBay policy dictates that a seller must display the POWER SELLER icon next to their user ID. Any suggestion that this display is OPTIONAL- WHILE STILL CLAIMING TO BE A POWER SELLER- and eBay WILL NOT verify that fact, is beyond absurd!

I finally did get back a response from eBay, privacy matters set aside- that the seller using the POWER SELLER LOGO in all their descriptions- WAS NOT A POWER SELLER! They, according to eBay had not completed the process of becoming a POWER SELLER!

Interestingly enough- the day their POWER SELLER icon appeared next to their eBay user ID- one of their DSR showed a 4.4- making them ineligible to be a POWER SELLER!
Message 17 of 26
latest reply

jakeeangel
Community Member
I think you're going about this the wrong way. eBay is not going to release info about a seller to you. Your complaint is only partially valid but you're wording it wrong.

You don't ask if someone is a Power Seller because they're not going to tell you & cite privacy reasons.

What you report, if you want to, is that they are using the Power Seller logo in their description while NOT showing the PS logo by their ID. That is what's NOT allowed on eBay. That is something they will act on. You're reversed the question to eBay and made some poor simpleton CSR's head explode in confusion.

It's somewhere in their guidelines. I tried to find it but it just keeps going in circles. You have to go through the Power Seller portal to find it. I read it there once before but can't seem to find it now. You're not supposed to use the PS logo in your listings if you don't show the logo beside your ID because as you say anyone can use the logo if they chose to without being a PSer.
Message 18 of 26
latest reply

2. POWERSELLER ICON AND LOGO. As a current eBay PowerSeller, an icon ("Icon") indicating your status as an eBay PowerSeller will appear by default next to your eBay User ID. You may choose (in the "Preferences/Set-Up" tab on your My eBay page) not to have the Icon displayed next to your User ID. If you agree to have the Icon displayed next to your User ID, you may use the PowerSellers logo provided by eBay in the following locations only: (a) your eBay About Me page; (b) in the description of the individual item listings you place on eBay; and (c) on your primary web site outside of eBay. This license is nonexclusive, nonassignable, nonsublicenseable and royalty-free. Any use of the eBay PowerSellers Icon or Logo or other protected materials not specifically allowed by this Agreement is not permitted without the express written permission of eBay. In addition to the termination provisions below, in the event of termination, you shall immediately cease use of the eBay PowerSellers Icon and Logo. You agree to indemnify and hold eBay harmless from all claims, suits, damages, costs and expenses associated with your misuse of the eBay PowerSellers Icon or Logo or other protected materials. This Agreement conveys no right to use the PowerSeller Icon or Logo or other branding or any other eBay trademarks or other intellectual property, other than as expressly provided herein. You further agree that the PowerSeller privileges referred to in this Section 2 are granted by eBay in its sole discretion, and are non-exclusive and non-transferable. eBay retains all rights, title and interest in and to all intellectual property rights embodied in or associated with the eBay PowerSellers Icon and Logo and other protected materials.

"What else could I do? I had no trade so I became a peddler" - Lazarus Greenberg 1915
- answering Trolls is voluntary, my policy is not to participate.
Message 19 of 26
latest reply

lina-mallows
Community Member
Sorry for the confusion. Maybe it's the english as a second language that confuses my syntax.

When I use the REPORT THIS ITEM button at the bottom of an auction- I am reporting the "unauthorized use of a Power Seller logo"

It's the responses I get to these complaints that don't make sense:

''I've investigated the seller's account and found that he has yet to
complete his registration to be a powerseller. An account manager will
notify cellular-link regarding this so that he will be able to use the
powerseller logo in his auctions. Thank you for bringing this matter to
our attention and your diligence in keeping eBay a safe place to trade.''

SO- this seller was clearly NOT YET A POWER SELLER- but eBay gave MANY details regarding this seller's account!

''We will review the items in question and, if appropriate, take action in
accordance with our listing policies. Please be aware that, depending on
eBay's decision, this item may remain visible on the site.''

SO- In this case- the seller may, or may not be, a Power Seller- and as a buyer I have no clue whether the POWER SELLER logo in their description is valid.

''Due to privacy concerns, we can't discuss one member's account with
another member, so we won't be able to share the results of our
investigation with you. I hope that this assures you that your account
history will also remain private.''

Nice going customer support- another we can't verify if THE LOGO DISPLAYED IS VALID!

And this gem summing it all up:
''One possibility is that the member has chosen to hide the logo next to
their user ID in public areas. If this is the case the member is still
in the Powerseller program, but is not displaying such to members. There
are quite a few sellers who choose this option for one reason or
another, but they are still technically Powersellers and are allowed to
display that logo in their listings.
''

SUMMARIZED AS "the member has chosen to hide the logo next to
their user ID in public areas......but they are still technically Powersellers and are allowed to
display that logo in their listings."

THERE IT IS- NO LOGO NEXT TO ID- YET LOGO MAY DISPLAYED IN LISTING !!!

This is in writing from the Power Support people, and is totally contrary to what eBay policy so clearly states.
Message 20 of 26
latest reply